4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

she needs a new heart...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

she needs a new heart...

Hey guys, Long time no see. I've had the unfortunate news to report that her engine is down . Long story short, somehow my oil plug came loose(still can't figure that one out) while I was driving on the highway and it all drained out. By the time my oil light came on it was already empty. I had a friend bring some oil and a new plug but it was already too late, spun bearing and she started knocking.

I'm in the market for a new VQ with low mileage(~105K, she's young at heart). I'm keeping my eyes on the classifieds but nothing yet. Does anyone have any experience with online dealers. I don't want to go through the trouble of getting a motor just to find out that it's not what I asked for. I've never had to do something like this so any advice or things to keep an eye out for are certainly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Try http://www.car-part.com/

Usually some junkyards come with some kind of warranty...
Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 99NJMAX
Hey guys, Long time no see. I've had the unfortunate news to report that her engine is down . Long story short, somehow my oil plug came loose(still can't figure that one out) while I was driving on the highway and it all drained out. By the time my oil light came on it was already empty. I had a friend bring some oil and a new plug but it was already too late, spun bearing and she started knocking.

I'm in the market for a new VQ with low mileage(~105K, she's young at heart). I'm keeping my eyes on the classifieds but nothing yet. Does anyone have any experience with online dealers. I don't want to go through the trouble of getting a motor just to find out that it's not what I asked for. I've never had to do something like this so any advice or things to keep an eye out for are certainly appreciated. Thanks
How much would it cost to rebuild?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Do what the6spdmax said. Car-part grades their parts and tell you the miles. I'd start there 1st.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by kroze
How much would it cost to rebuild?
Probably double of what a used VQ30DE goes for. Rebuilds are not worth it when it comes to these motors.

OP, check Craigslist.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You probably already saw this but there is a guy in the classifieds that is selling a 3.5 already prepped and ready to drop into a 4th gen. It's still in his 4th gen in the pics.