4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need Help, someone chime in please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM

I need Help, someone chime in please.

What are ways to increase my low-end torque without S/C, etc. I do mostly city driving so I don't use much of my mid or high torque. My max feels very sluggish upon acceleration, I feel the pick up at 3k and above. The only mods it has is: True CAI and Stillen Y-Pipe. My first instinct is to put back my stock box. I am looking for storage space so I can remove my rear seats and my spare tire to remove some weight. I did research and found nothing. Most of the threads were for the 5th gens. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sorry to mention but yes, A/T.

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 09-30-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 PM

A/T? If so, I'd take some info too
Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Headers?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:51 PM

pulley?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I guess you LA guys need to be able to haul *** to avoid all the murdering and chaos.

If your car is in good running shape there really isn't anything you can do to improve low end torque that you haven't already done...vq35 swap is the only real difference maker left.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Revert to oe intake?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Revert to oe intake?
I am planning to. I am also planning on removing back seats and spare tire to remove some weight. Also, probably buying those performance batteries that are lightweight and small...I forgot what they are called...

Edit: This is the battery I am talking about:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/er15.htm

12.5 lbs.

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 09-30-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
I guess you LA guys need to be able to haul *** to avoid all the murdering and chaos.

If your car is in good running shape there really isn't anything you can do to improve low end torque that you haven't already done...vq35 swap is the only real difference maker left.
In LA is always stop and go. Especially in rush hour, so boring and lame. I don't see any vq35 plans until my vq30 gives out.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica
I am planning to. I am also planning on removing back seats and spare tire to remove some weight. Also, probably buying those performance batteries that are lightweight and small...I forgot what they are called...

Edit: This is the battery I am talking about:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/er15.htm

12.5 lbs.
Why? Are you taking the max to the track?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM

with my CAI it improved my low end torque. whats the problem?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Why? Are you taking the max to the track?
Nope, I am just looking for ways to get rid of some pounds off my max. Including myself

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
with my CAI it improved my low end torque. whats the problem?
Well not me. I feel the real power up till 3k+. Anything below feels sluggish.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Nope, I am just looking for ways to get rid of some pounds off my max. Including myself
Here you go. http://web.archive.org/web/200804271...er.maxdes.net/
Old 10-01-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by neocry
This is going to help me a lot, thanks a lot bro.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:17 AM

It's weird you don't see more 2400 lbs. 4th gens running around. Can't afford a supercharger or turbo? Weight savings are free... I really want to do this, it would be like putting another supercharger on.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 AM

I tjought the se model was the best of the 3
Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 PM

No offense, but this is just a waste of time and money for you. You aren't going to feel an appreciable difference in performance off the line unless you go extreme and strip 500+ lbs off the car (including never filling the gas tank above 1/4). You'll basically be driving a metal box with wheels. Your car is never going to be fast off the line without adding more displacement. (engine swap) You're trying to redesign a car that Nissan spent millions of dollars designing. It's not as simple as throwing out your interior and going on a diet.

A 5-speed swap would help off the line performance, but you have that traffic to deal with. If you really want more low end power just do a vq35 swap or sell your car and buy a different one. A 4th gen is never going to be a torque monster without doing something radical. (engine swap, nitrous, etc.)
Old 10-01-2011, 05:02 PM

check your knock sensor,disconnect the subharness(to right right of the front valve cover, and check the resistance of it) ive had numerous 4th gens(mine and friends of mine) with low end torque issues, NO CEL, and we either replaced the knock sensor AND sub-harness(which like to corrode), or do a knock sensor resistor mod(which is the cheapest way).....you'll be surprised with the results
Old 10-01-2011, 05:13 PM

i also have NWP spacers. and have recently replaced knock sensor and cleaned MAF IACV and EGR. my rpms ROAR when i put my foot down.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:59 PM

No offense, but this is just a waste of time and money for you. You aren't going to feel an appreciable difference in performance off the line unless you go extreme and strip 500+ lbs off the car (including never filling the gas tank above 1/4). You'll basically be driving a metal box with wheels. Your car is never going to be fast off the line without adding more displacement. (engine swap) You're trying to redesign a car that Nissan spent millions of dollars designing. It's not as simple as throwing out your interior and going on a diet.

A 5-speed swap would help off the line performance, but you have that traffic to deal with. If you really want more low end power just do a vq35 swap or sell your car and buy a different one. A 4th gen is never going to be a torque monster without doing something radical. (engine swap, nitrous, etc.)
None taken. Honestly I am not looking to push my max off the line or for a torque monster. Imo completing stage 1 from the link would help and like you said not drastically but it will do some effect. I am aware I am driving a FWD. I am a college student and a Vq35 or s/c is out of the question. I am here to learn not get offended.

Originally Posted by allblackmax96
check your knock sensor,disconnect the subharness(to right right of the front valve cover, and check the resistance of it) ive had numerous 4th gens(mine and friends of mine) with low end torque issues, NO CEL, and we either replaced the knock sensor AND sub-harness(which like to corrode), or do a knock sensor resistor mod(which is the cheapest way).....you'll be surprised with the results
Thanks for the input, I'll check that. I'll check the sub-harness mostly since I recently replaced my ks.

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 10-01-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:57 PM

None taken. Honestly I am not looking to push my max off the line or for a torque monster. Imo completing stage 1 from the link would help and like you said not drastically but it will do some effect. I am aware I am driving a FWD. I am a college student and a Vq35 or s/c is out of the question. I am here to learn not get offended.

Thanks for the input, I'll check that. I'll check the sub-harness mostly since I recently replaced my ks.
I'm right there with you. (full time student, 4th gen auto) If you haven't done the tune up stuff then, yeah...you might be missing some performance you should have. At least you'll know that your car is in good shape and doing it's best.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:22 PM

No problem.

If you do manage to pull off stage 1, you will definitely feel it off the line and in the turns. Hell I felt a noticeable difference when I made my Max a 1 seater plus light weight rims.

Edit: Plus spare tire (28lbs), jack (4lbs) and floor mats delete (10lbs). lol

Last edited by neocry; 10-01-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Got Retrofit?

Make sure your KS is good. Even with my SRI, my car doesn't have too much low end loss.

I'm guessing the DEI tape and heat shield helps a lot, along with a well maintained car with no codes. I still have to do spark plugs though
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM

I'm right there with you. (full time student, 4th gen auto) If you haven't done the tune up stuff then, yeah...you might be missing some performance you should have. At least you'll know that your car is in good shape and doing it's best.
I've done all the tune-up possible.

Ngk Spark Plugs
Cleaned Maf and tb
cleaned up the egr; there was only a small opening.
Replaced pcv
Replaced fuel filter
I do oil changes every 3k-4k miles with Pennzoil 5w-30.
Took care of all air leaks I had.
Changed front wheel bearings.
and some few other stuff.
I wonder if new coils make a difference? I don't have misfiring issues right now. Just a f up Iacv, i think.

I've haven't done a compression test but I am eager to know how my compression is

No problem.

If you do manage to pull off stage 1, you will definitely feel it off the line and in the turns. Hell I felt a noticeable difference when I made my Max a 1 seater plus light weight rims.

Edit: Plus spare tire (28lbs), jack (4lbs) and floor mats delete (10lbs). lol
Stage 1 is my goal right now. The only thing holding me back is the storage space. I don't have enough space here in my place :/

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Make sure your KS is good. Even with my SRI, my car doesn't have too much low end loss.

I'm guessing the DEI tape and heat shield helps a lot, along with a well maintained car with no codes. I still have to do spark plugs though
Well I see what I can do to test out my KS. I doubt is bad, is fairly new. hahaha do the plugs already. If you have time to retro fit headlights, I am pretty sure you have time to do some plugs

Last edited by Shift_A32B; 10-02-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Hello to all . I have 98 5Spd SE and my first ever mod will be to lower car, have H&R springs to be installed next week, with recently installed KYB GR2's. I want to get a y pipe , that's all i can afford for now,what kind of sound and performance will iget with the rest of the exhaust being stock. Can i just put a magnaflow muffler on there or do I need another piece?

I don't like how the stock muffler looks and I don't want a huge barrel in the back ,just a nice looking 2.5" polished muffler. Any advice will be appreciated
Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by alexdoug05@aol.com
Hello to all . I have 98 5Spd SE and my first ever mod will be to lower car, have H&R springs to be installed next week, with recently installed KYB GR2's. I want to get a y pipe , that's all i can afford for now,what kind of sound and performance will iget with the rest of the exhaust being stock. Can i just put a magnaflow muffler on there or do I need another piece?

I don't like how the stock muffler looks and I don't want a huge barrel in the back ,just a nice looking 2.5" polished muffler. Any advice will be appreciated
Bro, it's not cool to thread jack. Post your question here. Welcome.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Ok thanks but didn't know I was post jacking (learnt something)I'm still new and learning my way around .I find the site a bit overwhelming sometimes,though very informative.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:31 PM

Just spend a few days reading EVERYTHING in the stickies. You'll be fine then...