4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

mevi w/mods vs 3.5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:38 PM

mevi w/mods vs 3.5 swap

Ok so ive been reading for the last two hours on two different forums, basically i have been debating a 3.5 swap into my 99.... as it sits right now, the motor has (this is an estimate,it was changed in 05) 120k or so... full mevi, cattman y pipe fidanza flywheel stage 1 clutch 2.5 catback frankencar midpipe with k&n filter... aside from those mods my car has suspension work etc etc but no other "performance" as far as engine goes, with my current mods, would a 3.5 with most of the mods be a better runner? it is my dd and well im looking for advice more or less... either i do a swap, which i dont have much knowhow of yet...im reading and learning...or do i save and go for boost? Please dont sit there and reply with well its your car or something dumb like that, i want to know which is more subtle and realistic.... as im no millionaire lol i got a family and work my a$$ off everyday so basically want something i can say i saved for and did on my own and be proud of...i know both would require some type of tune to get full gains and i expect no CEL's...ive been doing some searching and i find builds and explanations of things but no DEFINATE parts list, obviously id need the engine...aside from that what else is needed? my car is already a 5 speed....and well...ill also be searching for memebers here and of ctmaximas to help me with this swap
Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 PM

I've been debating the EXACT same thing lol. Here's what I'm thinking. The turbo would definitly be WAAAAY more fun. As far as practicality goes not so much. If you don't know what your doing dont get it. Not cause of the install just becuase some point or later you will have problems and if you dont know what your doing you're ****ed and going to have to go to a shop and pay them money. With the mevi or 00vi swap it will most likely cost less and be more reliable. plus easier for you to do yourself. The only thing I have thought of to pull of the turbo swap is by a second VQ30DE and do the turbo build on it while I have it just sitting in my garage and then just drive the stock engine until the whole turbo build is done and swap it in. That way you could still daily drive your max and not have it off the road for weeks. Other then that I am also completely torn on what to do. OH and also with the turbo build youll have to lower your compression ratio to 9:1 right now its about 10:1. You'll have to lower it to be able to boost to anything say over 10 psi give or take. Hope this helps and not makes you more confused lol.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Well i already got a mevi in my car so thats easy... im just torn between boost and a swap completely right now...either one will cost about 1000 bucks....so...i can attain knowledge no problem and i know motors pretty well but i know almost nothing about boost.. im kinda leaning towards a swap ..my car shouldnt be down too long.. only long enough to pull and drop.. ill have the tb situated beforehand along with the timing components... just minor things that need to be done as its going in like the injector splicing...and a few others but its a matter of finding someone in ct mass or ri to help me thats done it...i could probably pay a shop to do it but id have more appreciation doing it myself...
Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 PM

I'm in Ct, pm details and I could prolly help you out. Where are you finding a turbo kit for a grand? the lowest I found is 2 grandish. I didnt look on ebay only legit sites like turbokits.com
Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by xtremepb0
I've been debating the EXACT same thing lol. Here's what I'm thinking. The turbo would definitly be WAAAAY more fun. As far as practicality goes not so much. If you don't know what your doing dont get it. Not cause of the install just becuase some point or later you will have problems and if you dont know what your doing you're ****ed and going to have to go to a shop and pay them money. With the mevi or 00vi swap it will most likely cost less and be more reliable. plus easier for you to do yourself. The only thing I have thought of to pull of the turbo swap is by a second VQ30DE and do the turbo build on it while I have it just sitting in my garage and then just drive the stock engine until the whole turbo build is done and swap it in. That way you could still daily drive your max and not have it off the road for weeks. Other then that I am also completely torn on what to do. OH and also with the turbo build youll have to lower your compression ratio to 9:1 right now its about 10:1. You'll have to lower it to be able to boost to anything say over 10 psi give or take. Hope this helps and not makes you more confused lol.

You dont have to lower the compression to boost over 10psi, of course it is ideal but even at 10:1 you will be ok.
Many of us have and are currently doing it.

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Well i already got a mevi in my car so thats easy... im just torn between boost and a swap completely right now...either one will cost about 1000 bucks....so...i can attain knowledge no problem and i know motors pretty well but i know almost nothing about boost.. im kinda leaning towards a swap ..my car shouldnt be down too long.. only long enough to pull and drop.. ill have the tb situated beforehand along with the timing components... just minor things that need to be done as its going in like the injector splicing...and a few others but its a matter of finding someone in ct mass or ri to help me thats done it...i could probably pay a shop to do it but id have more appreciation doing it myself...
Without the ability to raise the Rev limiter, the MEVI is actually hurting your performance.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Well i bought the car with it...and a bunch of other mods... so youre sayin if i raise the rev limiter the mevi will work nicely??
Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Boosted Panda

Well i bought the car with it...and a bunch of other mods... so youre sayin if i raise the rev limiter the mevi will work nicely??
Well that is the whole point of the MEVI. Are you even running an rpm switch?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Honestly i haveno idea... i havent looked... againi boughtthe car the way it sits...original org owner was jeffersonM.... lakeshore blue 99 se-l... he had a company from NY install it.. some tuning place he found i think from here...so i would assume....idk tho...ive taken it to redline i 2nd and at 6900 it tops 2nd at @almost 70
Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Boosted Panda

Honestly i haveno idea... i havent looked... againi boughtthe car the way it sits...original org owner was jeffersonM.... lakeshore blue 99 se-l... he had a company from NY install it.. some tuning place he found i think from here...so i would assume....idk tho...ive taken it to redline i 2nd and at 6900 it tops 2nd at @almost 70
That doesn't mean your making any power in those rpms. You can rev the usim that high as well with the same results.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
You dont have to lower the compression to boost over 10psi, of course it is ideal but even at 10:1 you will be ok.
Many of us have and are currently doing it.

Without the ability to raise the Rev limiter, the MEVI is actually hurting your performance.
Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Well that is the whole point of the MEVI. Are you even running an rpm switch?
Qouted for truth. Flav are you still running the mevi? I remember you thinking of switching to the 00vi, but didnt want to by new top feed injectors.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Ok...so where would i look for this switch..trust me i dont doubt you...between yourcar and wizards....im pretty impressed... in your opinion... a mevi setup properly withfull bolt ons....or.....3.5 swap wit 3.0 timing??
Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by maxboy325
Qouted for truth. Flav are you still running the mevi? I remember you thinking of switching to the 00vi, but didnt want to by new top feed injectors.
Yes, still running the MEVI. I had considered the 00VI when I was looking to sin the most out of my old setup. Since then I've made changes that yielded more power and should be making even a bit more in the near future so the MEVI is just five for me.

Ok...so where would i look for this switch..trust me i dont doubt you...between yourcar and wizards....im pretty impressed... in your opinion... a mevi setup properly withfull bolt ons....or.....3.5 swap wit 3.0 timing??
Summit, and honestly that's up to you and your preference. Im all about the 3.0 and obtaining the most I can out of it.But the 3.5 does offer more displacement so that's a great platform to build on right there.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 PM

yeah im looking for best peaks at n/a....i know some say the 3.0 is "bulletproof" and the 3.5 is better...but i know you got a mevi...so....that being said...i want to stay n/a probably go full bolt on...and ...possibly....a small turbo in the future....so what kind of numbers do you make?? LOL and...i have no idea where to even look for the switch so...i assume im gonna have to try to get ahold of jeffersonM and see what it was mounted...or if it was removed...i know my cigg lighter is non existant now and there appears like something was wired in there at some point i got a ground and orange wire that arent connected to anything and blocked off now...
Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Boosted Panda

yeah im looking for best peaks at n/a....i know some say the 3.0 is "bulletproof" and the 3.5 is better...but i know you got a mevi...so....that being said...i want to stay n/a probably go full bolt on...and ...possibly....a small turbo in the future....so what kind of numbers do you make?? LOL and...i have no idea where to even look for the switch so...i assume im gonna have to try to get ahold of jeffersonM and see what it was mounted...or if it was removed...i know my cigg lighter is non existant now and there appears like something was wired in there at some point i got a ground and orange wire that arent connected to anything and blocked off now...
Highest numbers the car put down were 385, but that was once it was cooled down. The 377whp in my sig is what it made back to back after many pulls and being on they dyno for at least an hour. That was before the full 3" exhaust setup. Once my new setup is done I will be dynoying/tuning again and will finally see what my new numbers will be.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:22 PM

just rev the car up. if it opens up at a certain rpm (ideally around 5200 rpms, give or take a few hundred rpm) by itself then you have a switch.

imo, i would boost the 3.0 after youve learned everything you can. its still a baby at 120k miles. if your decision is either boost or 3.5, one or the other, then i think youll enjoy the boost more.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:26 AM

If youre looking for something daily.want to reduce point of failures and want a fun peppy car with little mods:3.5 swap w good flowing exhaust setup

If your looking for the most power(boost) and torque out of the 3.0 with the least amount of point of failures: turbo (s/c is another option but w additional points of failure)

If you want to be relatively quick and dump lots of money and time on mods to stay na and make power: mod the hell out the 3.0
Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 AM

What about cams? ive heard of some people putting the 3.5 cams in the 3.0?? just need a custom spacer i believe..
Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 AM

Yea i currently suffer from a misfire so i cant really tell when shes opening up...i kknow once i hit about 3200 rpms the car pulls HARD to redline....but yeah im like flavas numbers LOL i think im gonna boost it....the engine has 120 my car has 168 motor was replaced by previous owner...i got a lot of decent mods..and was def wonderin about 3.5 cams...but i was readin up on s1s....
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Flava, any chance you could pm me a "parts list" for a turbo build, ive been looking high and low and for some reason ...or im retarded...i can seem to find anything...it would be appreciated....
Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 AM

what i meant by see if it opens up, is actually look at it...you can actually see it open up when you hit ~5k rpms.

flava is not turbo charged btw, he still may be able to send you a turbo "parts list", but just so you werent confused on anything.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM

I see....well.. i think my final decision after reading debating price reliability....a 3.5 swap will be most ideal... how would i see it open?pull the top offand see if the valves open? I mean i see a ton of wiring to a vac canister and some other thing and the throttlebody was def replaced.but im going to investigate further....i may even sell off the mevi to help fund my swap... i got the old im and throttlebody still so i may sell it who knowsi need to start pricing engines and find someone to fab up something for the throttle body once im swapped
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Based on the info you provided, you shouldn't do the 3.5 swap. Polish/fine tune/add to what you have, and be happy with it.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:28 PM

What else can be done to a 3.0 with mevii take y pipe custom exhaust.... i mean i know i could pull it and go full internals...but aside from cams what else can i do??? The wife has been tellin me the same thing..."that mevi isnt a dime a dozen like most things" keep it and fix whats wrong and finish what the other owner didnt... so... what eould you suggest?? Im looking for some more power...as we all do just dont know what else i can do aside from a swap or boost...
Old 10-01-2011, 02:39 PM

how would i see it open?pull the top offand see if the valves open? I mean i see a ton of wiring to a vac canister and some other thing and the throttlebody was def replaced.
from the vacuum canister, a hose should run to a brass/gold colored actuator on the mevi. that actuator moves forward and backwards, opening and closing the valves.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Youre talking about the piece on the right side looking from front of vehicle??
Old 10-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Ok so i had the wifey brig it up sonewhere around 5400-5600 and the armature on the side definately flipped open.... now i want to know where it is so i can adjust....or see what its set at..
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 PM

What else can be done to a 3.0 with mevii take y pipe custom exhaust.... i mean i know i could pull it and go full internals...but aside from cams what else can i do??? The wife has been tellin me the same thing..."that mevi isnt a dime a dozen like most things" keep it and fix whats wrong and finish what the other owner didnt... so... what eould you suggest?? Im looking for some more power...as we all do just dont know what else i can do aside from a swap or boost...
You can tune it and get a decent (ie not shorty) set of headers.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41 AM

Yea im not into paying 600-800 for headers when the gains the yield arent even double digits... to me...thats just a waste...this is why i was thinkin 3.5 cause all my current mods would stay and after i part out my old engine....ill make at least half back...which makes more funds for goodies LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Yea im not into paying 600-800 for headers when the gains the yield arent even double digits... to me...thats just a waste...this is why i was thinkin 3.5 cause all my current mods would stay and after i part out my old engine....ill make at least half back...which makes more funds for goodies LOL
Now that you have narrowed it down to 3.0 or 3.5 I say keep the 3.0 (for now) you have good things going for it. Upgrade as much as you can/want and just drive it into the ground and THEN swap the 3.5 into it and build on that. One thing I thought of that you dont have is a lightweight flywheel. The RPMS in our car (at least mine and my friends) build sluggishly if its from a roll and not going all out from first.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by xtremepb0
Now that you have narrowed it down to 3.0 or 3.5 I say keep the 3.0 (for now) you have good things going for it. Upgrade as much as you can/want and just drive it into the ground and THEN swap the 3.5 into it and build on that. One thing I thought of that you dont have is a lightweight flywheel. The RPMS in our car (at least mine and my friends) build sluggishly if its from a roll and not going all out from first.
Think he already has a Fidanza FW and stage 1 cluth from first post. But I agree, my 5 speed is the same way
Old 10-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Donating i30 Owner

You could do this. I am selling the entire setup as a matter of fact. email me if anyone is interested. Im in NY. The picture was taken while i was removing the mods so forgive the mess.

Last edited by HomerMAC; 08-13-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

WHY YOU SELLING!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
You could do this. I am selling the entire setup as a matter of fact. email me if anyone is interested. Im in NY. The picture was taken while i was removing the mods so forgive the mess.

apnibin@gmail.com

nicely done sir,

was there a powerband change with the VQ30DET intake manifold??
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM

OP:

I am sure I will be lambasted for this. You are talking about a 13-year old car with who knows how many miles on it. It appears you have dumped a lot of money into it already.

Given you have a family and are not a self-professed millionaire, I question whether you can truly afford to dump any more money into this car and question why you would want to. Do you own or rent a home? Other than a mortgage, are you debt free?

Do yourself a favor and hang on to your money. We are going into a global economic depression and the stock market is not going to bottom for another 3 to 5 years. Trust me on that one. By then you will need a new car no matter what you do to the existing one.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Old 10-02-2011, 03:20 PM

manifold is sexy
Old 10-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Bobo... no matter what happens with the economy i dont worry about that i.live for the present not the future... and noim no millionaire..if i was you think id be driving a maxima? And i havent dumped much into ir..the cost of the car the way it sits was 700 then another 100 between led bulbs hids and corner lenses... so i think for 120k it isnt even close to bein junked... my last max had 216 on it when i sold it a year ago and thee new owner isstill running it daily... i was asking for opinions....thanks for the input though...homermac... what is that yielding for power?? I can honestly say ivenever seen that before..and whats the price or cost??
Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 PM

For some reason I thought you had done a lot of the existing mods. The previous owner must have taken a bath on that car, given what you paid for it.

I still question the need for speed given you have a family, and I suspect it is a young family at that. How is the college education fund going? Oh right, that is in the future, lol.

Bobo... no matter what happens with the economy i dont worry about that i.live for the present not the future... and noim no millionaire..if i was you think id be driving a maxima? And i havent dumped much into ir..the cost of the car the way it sits was 700 then another 100 between led bulbs hids and corner lenses... so i think for 120k it isnt even close to bein junked... my last max had 216 on it when i sold it a year ago and thee new owner isstill running it daily... i was asking for opinions....thanks for the input though...homermac... what is that yielding for power?? I can honestly say ivenever seen that before..and whats the price or cost??
Old 10-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Actually they guy i got it from paid 3000 for it and the owner before that bought it in 02 with 30k and did all the mods to it... college fund?? For a 20 month old?? Yourekidding right?? And the 9 year old has 13000 for that so....and regardless if i pay for a swap or keep it as is... in 2-5 years ill need another car and why worry about that if i do a swap now it will last even longer...so ibstead of paying 15000 for a used car in 2-5 yrs i can pay 1000 and keep mine....so wheres your logic in all of this if im saving 14000 dollars??
Old 10-02-2011, 05:07 PM

H http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...-43-20_459.jpg

Quick Reply: mevi w/mods vs 3.5 swap