4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

patching antenna hole

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:34 AM

patching antenna hole

He guys,
I took my antenna out my car (I don't listen to the radio and it was already halfway broke off) and I was told by a max member to use fiberglass to patch it. How many layers of fiberglass should I use? What grit sandpaper should I purchase to smooth it down and (this maybe a dumb question) when I purchase the fiberglass am I supposta buy the liquid fiberglass stuff as well as the layers of fiber glass (the paperlike stuff)? Any advice and or pics would be nice I plan on doin this stuff this weekend along with some other body work.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM

Well the mesh stuff is just a backer...the resin itself is what you use to fill and shape...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 PM

why not just use bondo/ body fill?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 PM

dude, i dont know what it is with this forum and people thinking you should use fiberglass filler over bodyfiller. FIBERGLASS FILLER IS FOR REPAIRING FIBERGLASS.

use a 2 part body filler dude. its what any body shop would use to fill in that hole. once you apply it to the space, you cut it down with 80 grit sandpaper. once youve done layers and gotten the filler to the shape you want it, you smooth it out with 180 grit. then prime and finished.

but it takes experience to make a repair that is invisible to the eye once the car is painted... use patience.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 PM

also, you want to get the repair area down to bare metal, about 3 inches in every direction from the edge of your planned repair. so you have plenty of room to work with.

to find high and low spots: use your hand, flat, running it from a non-damaged area onto your sanded body filler. try this from all different angles, and youll feel the high and low spots with your hand that you might not be able to see. hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 AM

thanks ill post a pic when i finish this up
Old 10-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

patching antenna hole

Hey guys, brand new member, but thought I'd comment here because I'm an autobody professional and have considered doing this mod myself. Here's how I would do it (and have done before on other vehicles):

1) Sand the area around the antenna hole with 80grit sandpaper. This will prepare you for the body filler.

2) Lightly tap the area around the antenna hole with a hammer to "dish out" the area to be filled. What you want is for the antenna hole itself to be tapped in about 2-3 millimeters lower than the surrounding area. Be light. You don't want to hammer it in too deep!

3) Find a piece of scrap sheet metal and trim it to be about an inch larger than the antenna hole on all sides. This will be your backing piece. Shape it to fit flush over the antenna hole area, and sand one side down with 80 grit sandpaper to prep it.

4) Sand the back side of the antenna hole (inside the trunk) to prep it for adhesive.

5) In the industry, we have a special 2-part adhesive called panel bonding adhesive. It has properties stronger than welds and in many cases is used to bond new panels to cars (roof skins, quarter panels, etc...) It is however expensive. A 2-part epoxy should hold well and last many years. I suggest that as an alternative. Mix the epoxy and brush it onto the sheet metal on the sanded side, and brush a thin coat on the back side of the antenna hole area as well.

6) press the piece of sheet metal to the inside of the antenna area and get a rod or something to hold the piece flush to the hole while you are waiting for the epoxy to fully cure.

7) after the epoxy has cured, sand the top side of the antenna hole again to sand down the epoxy that seeped out of the antenna hole on the top side.

8) Get a can of rubberized undercoating and spray some on the back side of the repair as further corrosion protection.

9) Now it's time for the filler work, block sanding, pinhole filler (glaze), more block sanding, primer, more block sanding, and paint!

You should have a repair that will last many many years.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Excellent write up I got lazy this weekend after installing strut bar, changing all my lights with brand new ones and cleaning the car up ill be tackling this job soon.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:13 PM

I have a dent on the side of the car it looks like it can be popped out but basically its (as if you where walking to the back of the car) behind the back wheel (under the antenna hole) how can I get behind it to pop it out or tap it out? I'm preping the car for a new coat of paint
Old 10-23-2011, 02:30 PM

its on the right Q/P? most of that can be accessed through the trunk, by removing the lining you should be able to access it. use a block of wood and a hammer son.

but you should have seen that when you were removing your antenna no?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
its on the right Q/P? most of that can be accessed through the trunk, by removing the lining you should be able to access it. use a block of wood and a hammer son.

but you should have seen that when you were removing your antenna no?
Its lower its towards the bottom of the body of the car.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM

go see if you can buy a cheap glue-on dent removal kit.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Stupid me! I think I can access it if I empty the trunk out. My neighbor 4 houses down has been giving me body work lessons while he preps his jetta I'm ready to prep mine but its so damn cold now lol, ill update on it soon as I check and see if I'm right about this bottom dent
Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 AM

ah, so after removing all the lining you can access it afterall? thats good. like i said a block of wood with a hammer will balance the force out and help pop the dent out without making another high spot.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
ah, so after removing all the lining you can access it afterall? thats good. like i said a block of wood with a hammer will balance the force out and help pop the dent out without making another high spot.
lol its like when i solve one problem with this maxima another one occurs (still love my max tho) i can get to it but as far as the hammer and wood method heres the problem that came to it. basically i can get my hand in the are (this is with the trunk 100% empty) at theres like a wall that the antenna stuff sits behind that i get my hand behind and possibly a hammer but theres not even enough space to create any type of force to remove the dent. i gonna try to pop it out and it not i guess ill have my painter add it to my tab lol. unless i can remove it. (lemme try and find a pic online its nighttime now and my trunk has all its stuff in it)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 PM

well if its a tight space maybe a prybar would be best then?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 PM

I also have a dent on the rear quarter panel much like you described. I'm going to try some different things to get behind it and pop it. If worse comes to worse I'll just pay a pro to do it. Don't want to make it worse then it already is.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by infinimax96
I also have a dent on the rear quarter panel much like you described. I'm going to try some different things to get behind it and pop it. If worse comes to worse I'll just pay a pro to do it. Don't want to make it worse then it already is.
I'm prepping it for macco (the one out here is good) still gotta swap my bumper and front side panel and its a green maxima I can swap everything with but imma figure this one out and if I do b4 you do then ill explain how I got it out