4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Doing rear brakes - tips, gotchas, what parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Doing rear brakes - tips, gotchas, what parts?

I need to do the rear brakes on a '99 Max. The rotors are shot and the calipers are either not sliding or working right, so I am figuring I will need to either rework or replace both. 200K miles, rears have not been done in 40-50K miles I would guess.

Questions:

- Are the rear calipers usually fixable, or will I need to get replacements?
- What other small parts will I need to do this?
- What will be rusted or frozen in a car with this many miles?
- What are the gotchas that will get me and is there anything unique about doing this on the Max that I shoud know up front?

Thanks,
bob

Last edited by BobMax; 12-05-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM

there is a small cube looking tool you gotta use for the rear caliper's piston, you gotta spin the piston clockwise using the that tool. cant jus push it or slide it in like the front ones.
i got my mine at pepboys for like 12 bucks, they could be found preety much at any autopart store.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 PM

1st..you gotta get in there and see whats wrong exactly.
you maybe able to get away with just taking the pins out and lubing em up.

as stated above,a 'caliper piston tool' will help you out alot.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 AM

Well if your rotors are shot replace them and might as well replace brake pads. Sometimes the slider pins seize up which means you have to get new ones. If there good just take them out and regrease them.

As for the piston there is a lil tool mentioned cube loooking thing you need to push the piston back in. It's not always the easiest thing to do
Old 12-05-2011, 04:22 AM

you can rent the tool from autozone for free.

as for the rest buy all new(new brake hardware, pads, rotors), why not do it right! use rockauto.com to save $
Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

My old webpage still seems to be up...
Here

Be safe...

Originally Posted by BobMax
I need to do the rear brakes on a '99 Max. The rotors are shot and the calipers are either not sliding or working right, so I am figure I will need to either rework or replace both. 200K miles, rears have not been done in 04-50K miles I would guess.

Questions:

- Are the rear calipers usually fixable, or will I need to get replacements?
- What other small parts will I need to do this?
- What will be rusted or frozen in a car with this many miles?
- What are the gotchas that will get me and is there anything unique about doing this on the Max that I shoud know up front?

Thanks,
bob
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM

Whatever you do make sure that you put the little knuckle thats on the back to the brake pad in between the groove on the caliper's piston! If you don't you will have a very annoying noise everytime you turn to the left/right depeending on what side was done incorrectly! I bought brand new struts because of this noise thinking they were bad and the whole time all I needed to do was line the lil knuckle with the groove
Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by iflexsteel
Whatever you do make sure that you put the little knuckle thats on the back to the brake pad in between the groove on the caliper's piston! If you don't you will have a very annoying noise everytime you turn to the left/right depeending on what side was done incorrectly! I bought brand new struts because of this noise thinking they were bad and the whole time all I needed to do was line the lil knuckle with the groove
+1

Not to mention it will be hard to put the caliper assembly back on if this isnt lined up.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to gentley tighten the piston into place.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 AM

These rear calipers are known for seizing. I have dealt with at least 6 sets that are seized from various years. The rubber seals wear down over time allowing moisture to get in and rust forms and the pistons seize.

They are rebuildable if you can get the pistons out, might involve a torch.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks guys, I'll get in there and see what's what.

Form the look of the rotors - one barely getting swept and one getting continually swept on the inside, I expect the worst from the calipers, but who knows... maybe they are just in need of a little cleaning.

Are the "pins" available from autoparts stores, or is that a dealer item? (I don't have time for order/shipping on this one... I will have to purchase locally).
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chunger
My old webpage still seems to be up...
Here

Be safe...

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM

Are the "pins" available from autoparts stores, or is that a dealer item? (I don't have time for order/shipping on this one... I will have to purchase locally).

you can purchase the pins locally, if your up to it advanced auto will price match rockauto if you call them! this will also save you the shipping cost and you get to pick up locally!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Br0nz
you can purchase the pins locally, if your up to it advanced auto will price match rockauto if you call them! this will also save you the shipping cost and you get to pick up locally!
Advance Auto also carries the caliper brackets; good to remember in case you have a caliper pin frozen in the bracket (which has happened to me). You can also get rebuilt calipers from Advance - again good to remember if you have a piston that won't turn back into the caliper. I have used both with good success and at a reasonable price.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks boys... rears are done.

Turned out there was just one stuck pin. It was easily freed up once i had the bracket out. Everything came loose without any significant hassle. Cleaned and polished the pins along with the brackets and all the mounting hardware and reassembled with new grease, pads, and rotors.

PARTs NOTE: I needed new boots for the pins. Best price for boots only was Car Quest at $10 for all 4. (Advance was $19).

... On to the fronts in a few days.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks boys... rears are done.

Turned out there was just one stuck pin. It was easily freed up once i had the bracket out. Everything came loose without any significant hassle. Cleaned and polished the pins along with the brackets and all the mounting hardware and reassembled with new grease, pads, and rotors.

PARTs NOTE: I needed new boots for the pins. Best price for boots only was Car Quest at $10 for all 4. (Advance was $19).

... On to the fronts in a few days.
Hope you placed grease at the ends of those brake pads as instruced in the OEM brake hardware kit. The noise those pads make are annoying over bumps if that grease isn't there.