4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car died while on highway, lost power steering and power braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM

Car died while on highway, lost power steering and power braking

So I guess my altrenator died at some point during the day. The car started under battery power, about 3/4 the way home, the car started to lose electronics and then shut off. Lost power steering and power braking while doing 70 in the far left lane...

I got lucky since there was no traffic and managed to get the car on an exit ramp where it stopped.

Called AAA got it towed to a firestone near campus after hours, so the car had to sit outside over night.

I call this morning to tell firestone why my car is there and they tell me someone smashed my passanger window...

Someone F*CKING BROKE INTO MY CAR BECAUSE THEY SAW AN IPOD CONNECTOR IN THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER....

I havent seen what they took yet but that was the only thing visible. I can only imagine they took my 130 dollar sunglasses from the center console as well as a portable battery charger...

The only relief I have is that since the battery was dead they supposedly couldn't open the trunk....

Ill post more info after class when I get over to firestone.

/RANT
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Got Retrofit?

You better make sure that Firestone pays for all of that.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287

Good luck.

Usually, unless the lot is SECURED (no entry after hours) they are not legally held liable for damage to customer's property. At least here in Seattle they're not. I can't imagine it would be any different anywhere else. That's why everyone knows to leave stuff OUT of plain view. Would these kids (assuming kids) even have broke the window if the ipod hookup wasn't visible...? Doubt it.

From a customer service standpoint, however, i agree with you. Their lot, their problem. But not from a legal perspective.

Sucks that happened to you man...hope they werent able to get into the trunk.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM

Was that your original alternator? How many miles?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM

I had no choice but to leave it in their parking lot after hours. They move all customers cars inside the garage otherwise... They wont be liable.

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Good luck.

Usually, unless the lot is SECURED (no entry after hours) they are not legally held liable for damage to customer's property. At least here in Seattle they're not. I can't imagine it would be any different anywhere else. That's why everyone knows to leave stuff OUT of plain view. Would these kids (assuming kids) even have broke the window if the ipod hookup wasn't visible...? Doubt it.

From a customer service standpoint, however, i agree with you. Their lot, their problem. But not from a legal perspective.

Sucks that happened to you man...hope they werent able to get into the trunk.
Yup, I grabbed my sunglasses and threw them in the center console before I left, unhooked the ipod dock and threw it on the floor. My windows are tinted but idk, guess they saw it on the floor...

They also broke in to a POS Chevy Blazer that was also in the lot.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Justaguy
Was that your original alternator? How many miles?
Double Post

Yea, original alt, 168k miles
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Dude, that sucks man. I know how you feel, I had someone break into my stock 86 accord 9 years ago and steal my cheap 150 dollar HU...while I was at the blood bank giving blood! That pi$$ed me the hell off, you better believe it.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Dude, that sucks man. I know how you feel, I had someone break into my stock 86 accord 9 years ago and steal my cheap 150 dollar HU...while I was at the blood bank giving blood! That pi$$ed me the hell off, you better believe it.
Yea man it blows. I was also up till 3am last night writing code for a programming class, doing math homework and studying for a test. Only to wake up this morning and find out my car got busted into.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Wow that blows big time man, is there anything insurance can do at all?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
Wow that blows big time man, is there anything insurance can do at all?
Insurance will most likely cover my passenger window according to my parents, but none of my personal items.

Im hoping they didnt open the trunk b/c I had my snowboard boots, helmet, 120 dollar goggles and 80 dollar goggles in there... Just forgot to grab them b/c I had gone to the mountains on Saturday.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM

nothing you can do. they could turn around and sign a trespassing complaint against you- since you and your car were never invited to begin with!

even if the trespassing complaint wont stick, it being private property- you parked your car on their lot, without their expressed consent.

if you intend to have them fix your car- i wouldn't blame them at all- nor give them a hard time.
instead i would try and extract guilt/sorrow from them to not rape you on any charges.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ImStricken
nothing you can do. they could turn around and sign a trespassing complaint against you- since you and your car were never invited to begin with!

even if the trespassing complaint wont stick, it being private property- you parked your car on their lot, without their expressed consent.

if you intend to have them fix your car- i wouldn't blame them at all- nor give them a hard time.
instead i would try and extract guilt/sorrow from them to not rape you on any charges.
Umm... not once did I say I blame them....

Also they do allow after hours drop off at customer discretion.

Its not their fault
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
Umm... not once did I say I blame them....
never said you should stop blaming them(meaning your currently doing it).
I simply stated DONT, meaning dont even think about it in the future.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM

never said you should stop blaming them(meaning your currently doing it).
I simply stated DONT, meaning dont even think about it in the future.
The way you wrote it didnt make it seem that way. Sorry, im just pissed right now.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 PM

The way you wrote it didnt make it seem that way. Sorry, im just pissed right now.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Lmao, please tell me you took the time and drew that
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM

damn man that sux i just had my g35 18s stolen out my shed so i feel ur pain an bout 5 years ago had a system jacked out my ride super sux
Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
damn man that sux i just had my g35 18s stolen out my shed so i feel ur pain an bout 5 years ago had a system jacked out my ride super sux
Im about to go see the car in the next hour...

As long as the jackass didnt touch my retrofit, ill be somewhat happy.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Im about to go see the car in the next hour...

As long as the jackass didnt touch my retrofit, ill be somewhat happy.
Next hour later
Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Picture: http://imgur.com/vlX7X

Asshat stole my $130 Bolle glasses that were put away in the center console, my insurance card, and a portable battery charger.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 PM

Sigh. the things people do. Anyways..I agree with your thoughts, its not Firestone's fault, lets just hope they'll go easy on you with the repair.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM

At least they didn't get the boarding gear
Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
At least they didn't get the boarding gear
Yea that would have been an easy 450-500 gone. Luckily he didnt find the trunk release from what it looked like. He smashed the window, opened the door and went to town on my glovebox and arm rest.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 AM

Did they catch the guy? O_o
I hate seeing a maxima stolen or broken into.
Tears me up...
Not to tear you up but you should name this thread
"Car died while on highway, lost power steering and sunglasses and insurance card and battery charger and power braking."
Old 01-24-2012, 04:31 AM

That's some real bad luck man. And it's a good thing your trunk was electrical and not manual or they would of raided your trunk. It's a depressing feeling when someone bust yuh glass and steal all your stuff. Did you have tited windows and alarm? That might deter a bandit.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 AM

sorry to hear bout that man. I had my car broken into so i know how u feel
Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
That's some real bad luck man. And it's a good thing your trunk was electrical and not manual or they would of raided your trunk. It's a depressing feeling when someone bust yuh glass and steal all your stuff. Did you have tited windows and alarm? That might deter a bandit.
Yup windows were tinted and I have the factory alarm system but since the battery was dead it was no use.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 AM

its partially the economy and the season. I had my window broken and they took my damn sculpture toolbox out of my trunk. Scattered my repair reciepts in the glove box but didn't get away with much. I think they were on foot. I had a 4ton bottle jack in the trunk too right next to the toolbox and some vinyl records. People will always take shortcuts if they know there's a chance to get away.

Last edited by Phromethius; 01-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Got Retrofit?

Yup windows were tinted and I have the factory alarm system but since the battery was dead it was no use.
The factory alarm only would've gone off once the door was opened
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM

The factory alarm only would've gone off once the door was opened
But only if the battery was charged right? Oh well, it blows b/c I only have liability on my car for insurance since I'm 18. But my parents are covering the repair and what was stolen from me.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Take a bait car back up there and wait around and the same crooks will appear....this time leave plenty of goodies to make them do their thing and you do your thing and fill them with plenty of lead! At least I would.....love too see that these days since dishonesty seems to be lurking everywhere around us......
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Take a bait car back up there and wait around and the same crooks will appear....this time leave plenty of goodies to make them do their thing and you do your thing and fill them with plenty of lead! At least I would.....love too see that these days since dishonesty seems to be lurking everywhere around us......
Believe me, if I knew who it was they wouldnt be able to walk for a month.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM

Damn Andrew sorry to hear this happened to your car. Hope you get everything sorted out and get it back on the road in no time.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Redline Maxima
Damn Andrew sorry to hear this happened to your car. Hope you get everything sorted out and get it back on the road in no time.
Thanks man, I went to go pick it up tonight but they ended up needing to keep it overnight... they took money off the bill though.

So, I'll have it back tomorrow, all will be well.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Thanks man, I went to go pick it up tonight but they ended up needing to keep it overnight... they took money off the bill though.

So, I'll have it back tomorrow, all will be well.

That's good to hear. It's been 13 months and counting since I last drove mine. I miss it so much. If all goes well she will be back on the streets in another month or 2.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 PM

That's good to hear. It's been 13 months and counting since I last drove mine. I miss it so much. If all goes well she will be back on the streets in another month or 2.
Is it still sitting with the engine out?? I thought you had swapped it a long time ago.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 PM

Is it still sitting with the engine out?? I thought you had swapped it a long time ago.
yea its still sitting like that. i have everything just no time. i am finally getting some free time coming up in these next few months so we will see what happens. at least its been garage kept all this time lol.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 PM

yea its still sitting like that. i have everything just no time. i am finally getting some free time coming up in these next few months so we will see what happens. at least its been garage kept all this time lol.
Yup, true that. My car has taking a BEATING here in denver. Its kept in an underground garage across from my dorm. But, I drive it every weekend 160 miles round trip to the mountains to go snowboard. Im pulling around 800 miles a month in the car. Its slowly dying. This alternator going out is just one thing out of a number of things that have gone wrong in the past 3-4 months.

Come June it will be time to look for a new car for next year. My dad wants something newer with under 100k miles since I drive so much.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 AM

What engine are you putting in?

Quick Reply: Car died while on highway, lost power steering and power braking