4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hesitation/stall on 97 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hesitation/stall on 97 Maxima

I've searched but only getting vague results. Trying to trouble shoot my dads maxima. The only engine code I'm getting is vehicle speed sensor.

The problem is the car randomly stutters at 2000 rpms and some times stalls. I've checked the plugs, and made sure everything was plugged in. I'm thinking it could be the MAF but I have no codes indicating such.

Edited to add that the car is a manual.

Last edited by Matt4Nissan; 03-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM

It could be the MAF, BUT u are getting a code for VSS. The two arent directly related but could have similar symptoms.

Clean TB, MAF per how tos. replace VSS $30 from autozone.

EDIT:

And dont say u SEARCH'd and got nothing man...10 sec search for "vehicle speed sensor" yielded the following:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e+speed+sensor

Last edited by cashoit; 03-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
It could be the MAF, BUT u are getting a code for VSS. The two arent directly related but could have similar symptoms.

Clean TB, MAF per how tos. replace VSS $30 from autozone.

EDIT:

And dont say u SEARCH'd and got nothing man...10 sec search for "vehicle speed sensor" yielded the following:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e+speed+sensor
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it mentions NOTHING about hesitation or stalling. Hence my vague anything remark.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matt4Nissan
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it mentions NOTHING about hesitation or stalling. Hence my vague anything remark.

What is vague about getting a code for VSS???

Thats is why i provided the link.

Your car is throwing a VSS code that could be related to the hesitation issues. Fix the codes.

HOWEVER, the max not accelerating past 2500 rpm is classic MAF issue. So it could be a defective MAF or a bad VSS.

Again, clean the MAF and TB per how tos. Report back.

Sometimes the MAF is too far gone for the cleaning to be effective. In that case u can try to resolder the electrical leads for the MAF. There is a thread, i think by Lukegxe, that describes how to resolder MAF.

See sig
Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM

Yea codes are not vague, if they were it wouldn't serve much of a purpose. Some are though, like a misfire code, which could be a few things other than a bad coil. When you get a code that means its bad or going bad so get a new one.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM

I apologize for my phrasing. I meant that the results of my searching yielded vague results since no one seemed to have my same problems. You would think there would be more results with my same symptoms.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM

Well the forum is full of threads of ppl who refused to SEARCH and thereby cluttered with thread junk instead of one or two main threads of actual useful information.

So i feel what u sayin about getting vague SEARCH results.

Jus gonna hafta sift through the BS if u wanna find what u looking for.

But trust me man, this car is 15 yrs old, SOMEBODY has had the SAME issues as u and posted here. Jus gotta SEARCH for it.

Either way, clean TB and MAF per how tos, change VSS. Report back.

Dont worry man, we have had tougher issues on the org than jus "hesistation". We get u runnin good again

EDIT:

FYI... if the MAF is jus "dirty" and sending false readings, u will not get code for it. If the MAF is completely toast or unplugged u will get a code.

Last edited by cashoit; 03-13-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 AM

seems like a small upsurge of MAF type issues today. I think there have been like three threads in a row where the MAF could be the culprit.

I always laugh when I see your quote Cashoit, about kids keep your MAF clean! lol
Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Phromethius
seems like a small upsurge of MAF type issues today. I think there have been like three threads in a row where the MAF could be the culprit.

I always laugh when I see your quote Cashoit, about kids keep your MAF clean! lol
Its sooooo true tho man. jus wish the noobs wd listen

Eventually, once their MAF turns to toast, they listen
Old 03-22-2012, 09:30 AM

Replaced the VSS. I cleaned the MAF, TB, and AICV. Still having the same issue. Now the car is showing me a Neutral Switch error. It almost seems to be getting worse. I checked ever vacuum line I could get to today and no cracks. Any ideas?

Edit. Also, for whatever reason the ECU will only store one code at a time. We fix one thing and get an unrelated code for something else. Even with a proper scanner it's only giving us one at a time.

Last edited by Matt4Nissan; 03-22-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Matt4Nissan
Replaced the VSS. I cleaned the MAF, TB, and AICV. Still having the same issue. Now the car is showing me a Neutral Switch error. It almost seems to be getting worse. I checked ever vacuum line I could get to today and no cracks. Any ideas?

Edit. Also, for whatever reason the ECU will only store one code at a time. We fix one thing and get an unrelated code for something else. Even with a proper scanner it's only giving us one at a time.
Have you tried checking the codes without the scanner by using the screw on the ECU? I've always used the screw on mine and If I have more than 1 code, they all show up sequentially doing it with the ECU screw so maybe 1. Your scanner is screwy or 2. Your are just coincidentally getting subsequent codes.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
Have you tried checking the codes without the scanner by using the screw on the ECU? I've always used the screw on mine and If I have more than 1 code, they all show up sequentially doing it with the ECU screw so maybe 1. Your scanner is screwy or 2. Your are just coincidentally getting subsequent codes.
I've been using the screw on the ECU method and it's only returning one code at a time.