4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help! Transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 PM

Need help! Transmission swap

I have a 97 maxima automatic transmission is gone,i found a auto tranny from a 00 maxima,i just need to know if it fit with no problem on my 97 can someone let me know. Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 PM

i have an 01 trans from an I30 so heres what you will encounter (i will be as thorough as possible)

~the trans and mounts directly bolt up

~all sensors must be swapped from your 4th gen.

~the solenoids inside the valvebody must be cut and spliced because the connectors are in different positions between the gens. the colors remained the same so just cut solder and shrinkwrap and your done. to remove the "junction connector" remove a metal clip from the top and simply push it through the trans.

~the trans range switch must also be swapped. heres where it gets tricky,

~a bolt and nut must be installed due to the selector on the transmission itself.
the bolt must be ground down on both sides to fit securely.
you should have a buddy go through all the gears to ensure that the selector inside the car and trans range switch are in proper alignment.

the rest is just bolt and go. the best thing about swapping the 5th gen trans is that it goes all the way to redline beacuse it was engineered for the VI.
so if you were planning on swapping manifolds this is definitely the way to go.

i hope this helps. its not a simple R&R so any questions you have i will be more than happy to answer.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
i have an 01 trans from an I30 so heres what you will encounter (i will be as thorough as possible)

~the trans and mounts directly bolt up

~all sensors must be swapped from your 4th gen.

~the solenoids inside the valvebody must be cut and spliced because the connectors are in different positions between the gens. the colors remained the same so just cut solder and shrinkwrap and your done. to remove the "junction connector" remove a metal clip from the top and simply push it through the trans.

~the trans range switch must also be swapped. heres where it gets tricky,

~a bolt and nut must be installed due to the selector on the transmission itself.
the bolt must be ground down on both sides to fit securely.
you should have a buddy go through all the gears to ensure that the selector inside the car and trans range switch are in proper alignment.

the rest is just bolt and go. the best thing about swapping the 5th gen trans is that it goes all the way to redline beacuse it was engineered for the VI.
so if you were planning on swapping manifolds this is definitely the way to go.

i hope this helps. its not a simple R&R so any questions you have i will be more than happy to answer.
Thank you so much for your help bro.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by june19
Thank you so much for your help bro.
Anytime.
I hope everything goes smooth for you if not just hit up the .org