4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shift fork seal????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Shift fork seal????

Ok backstory: 5MT starts leaking gear oil from drivers side output shaft seal. Took it to Aamco and they replaced it so it wasnt pouring out anymore....i go out this morning and theres still a few drops on the ground. I wipe transmission off and drive it to verify and let it sit for roughly an hr. Came back out and still a few drops. Call Aamco and they said that theyd forgotten to tell me that the "shift fork seal" ?????? is leaking too but just barely and its something they cant fix w/o removing the transmission. Is this correct? Im not too familiar with transmissions and am wondering if theres a fix for this.....Its not a horrible leak but id like the peace of mind in knowing i dont leak anything, especially gear oil......
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
SLOW

No, it's not correct.

You punch the roll pin out of the yoke on the end of the striking rod, and then you can pry out the seal and put a new one in. Not sure why they are calling it a shift fork seal, but they mean striking rod seal or shift rod seal. The shift fork is inside the transmission, and has no seals associated with it.

That said, it may be leaking because the striking rod itself is gouged up/not smooth any more and the seal has been compromised because of this. If that is the case, you may put a new seal on there and find you have another leak not too long after because the rough surface of the striking rod has torn up your new seal too. Could be a week, could be a year, could be never. Just depends.