4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cover plate on transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cover plate on transmission,PIC's added

Hi all, I am new to the site but have a question that I have not been able to locate the answer to. I've searched.
I picked up a beater about a month ago 99 GXE 5spd with 94,000mi. It had a few leaks that I have since taken care of,except one. The transmission has a cover plate with 2 bolts near the trans drain plug. I just want to verify what I am looking at when I remove that cover and look in there.Is that the rear main seal? I assumed it was and took it to a mechanic for repair(was leaking). Well, I got the car back and about a week later I jacked it up to check it out and noticed a little oil by that cover. I removed the cover and noticed another plate or cover that was not there before. I can no longer see that shaft that was visible before. Its sealed with another plate or cover.Anyone have any experience with this? I would appreciate any input.

Name:  20120421_154110.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  20120421_154136.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  20120421_154213.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  75.2 KB

Last edited by DAMOFO; 04-21-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: photos
Old 04-21-2012, 05:20 AM

What did the mechanic repair exactly? Or what did they say they repaired? Does your leak look like this?
Name:  96MaximaProblems_1-1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  52.4 KB
Old 04-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 2brosgixxer
What did the mechanic repair exactly? Or what did they say they repaired? Does your leak look like this?
the leak is the same just not as bad.i went in and told him I thought the rear main seal was leaking,to check it out.he said yup,its leaking.while taking it apart he called and recommended a clutch kit while the trans was out,so I got that repaired as well.that cover is what I dont understand.there was one cover before,then after I got it back,there is basically 2.when I remove the first one,there is another shield or cover.just trying to understand.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 AM

From what I understand, that cover on the passenger sided of the trans is just that, covers. I don't think It have on mine. But I'm curious why u are still leaking if the replaced the rear main. You asked if you could see it by looking thru that cover and I believe the answer is no. Did they replace the half moon gaskets on the sides of the upper oil pan too? Can you take pics of the 2 covers you are talking about?

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 04-21-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

From what I understand, that cover on the passenger sided of the trans is just that, covers. I don't think It have on mine. But I'm curious why u are still leaking if the replaced the rear main. You asked if you could see it by looking thru that cover and I believe the answer is no. Did they replace the half moon gaskets on the sides of the upper oil pan too? Can you take pics of the 2 covers you are talking about?
I can take pics tonight.i am at work right now posting all this from a cell phone.the leak is from the trans(drivers side)of vehicle.i have a 5spd.what is the shaft you see when you take that shield off,if not the rear main seal?i know I'm not the only maxima to have this,am I?the car is bone stock,bought from single owner(old lady).
Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DAMOFO
I can take pics tonight.i am at work right now posting all this from a cell phone.the leak is from the trans(drivers side)of vehicle.i have a 5spd.what is the shaft you see when you take that shield off,if not the rear main seal?i know I'm not the only maxima to have this,am I?the car is bone stock,bought from single owner(old lady).
Yeah we're gonna need some pics. The only cover thats on the tranny is indeed on the passenger side of the transmission. When that cover is removed, you don't see a shaft, you see the flywheel. The only way you can even see the rear main seal is with the transmission, clutch & flywheel off. If it's leaking from the drivers side then you may need to look at the axle seals. Like I said, we're gonna need some pics. to better help you out.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAXC
Yeah we're gonna need some pics. The only cover thats on the tranny is indeed on the passenger side of the transmission. When that cover is removed, you don't see a shaft, you see the flywheel. The only way you can even see the rear main seal is with the transmission, clutch & flywheel off. If it's leaking from the drivers side then you may need to look at the axle seals. Like I said, we're gonna need some pics. to better help you out.

I added some pics.The black plate is the one in question. As stated before, I took it off and noticed what looked like a shaft with a leak and assumed that was the RMS,which now I know it is not.However,the mechanic told me he replaced the RMS and put a new clutch kit in.I know something was done because now when I remove the black plate and look inside there is another plate blocking where I cant see in anymore.is that normal?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:36 PM

That black plate you can see is just a cover, which like I said, mine is missing. The only "plate" you can see when looking in there is the flywheel iirc. Did they drop the upper oil pan and replace the RTV and the half moon seals on that pan? If they didn't, I bet that's your leak. Someone else chime in and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...especially since I have the same leak.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That black plate you can see is just a cover, which like I said, mine is missing. The only "plate" you can see when looking in there is the flywheel iirc. Did they drop the upper oil pan and replace the RTV and the half moon seals on that pan? If they didn't, I bet that's your leak. Someone else chime in and correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...especially since I have the same leak.
From what I can tell,they did not remove the oil pan. It looks untouched.I will have to ask them on monday.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 PM

From what I can tell,they did not remove the oil pan. It looks untouched.I will have to ask them on monday.
Ugh, if they didn't remove the upper pan while they had the tranny out, I bet that's where your leak is coming from...those half moon things. But yeah, check with them and update this thread. There's another thread I'm following with the same leak if you want to follow it as well.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...d-leakage.html
Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

can any of you guys post a page or two from the FSM detailing where they require that oil pan to come off in order to change the RMS.I have a feeling they only dropped the trans.I would like to show them how the FSM shows to change it incase they say there is nothing they can do. Its only been about 2 weeks so I am sure they would have some kind of warranty.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 PM

In the 97 max FSM EM-33, Does say to remove the oil pan. When installing the oil pan FSM EM-13 talks about the oil retainer seal (the half moon gasket). Bet thats where your oil leak is comming from. Keep in mind that the rear main CAN be changed without removing the oil pan, its a 50\50 chance that the rear main was leaking, because the retainer seal actually sits behind the Rear main. Looks like the shop you went to didn't want to go through the extra work of removing the oil pan.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I recently dropped my transmission and wanted to do the rear main, there was a little bit of oil coming from the lower rubber seal, it was a fail trying to get the upper part off so I just left it and put rtv on the bottom. If there is no oil coming from anything above that point like the powersteering pump then chances are that would be the rear main that is still leaking.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Yet again, it is the upper oil pan half moon seal people. The RMS does not leak unless you overfill with oil and drive it to burst the seal. Spent last summer redoing the entire bottom of the engine and checking now, it is so oil free that the oil pan is rusting..
Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Yet again, it is the upper oil pan half moon seal people. The RMS does not leak unless you overfill with oil and drive it to burst the seal. Spent last summer redoing the entire bottom of the engine and checking now, it is so oil free that the oil pan is rusting..

I had to learn the hardish way.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Snypa

I had to learn the hardish way.
Do you know where I can find a diagram of where the RMS is located? I've been told by my mechanic that its my RMS leaking, but after reading all this, i'm not so sure. I'm just curious where the RMS is in reference to my leak. The half moon seals are probably "easier" to do than the RMS correct? In other words, i'd be best to to the half moon seals first??
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 PM

In the 97 max FSM EM-33, Does say to remove the oil pan. When installing the oil pan FSM EM-13 talks about the oil retainer seal (the half moon gasket). Bet thats where your oil leak is comming from. Keep in mind that the rear main CAN be changed without removing the oil pan, its a 50\50 chance that the rear main was leaking, because the retainer seal actually sits behind the Rear main. Looks like the shop you went to didn't want to go through the extra work of removing the oil pan.
Guess nobody read this
Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Guess nobody read this
Who are you referring to? My question is would it be beneficial to just do the half moon ones without doing the RMS? I mean does it make sense to do one and not the other? Edit: I read that AND looked at the fsm but did not see where the RMS was but maybe I missed it.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Do you know where I can find a diagram of where the RMS is located? I've been told by my mechanic that its my RMS leaking, but after reading all this, i'm not so sure. I'm just curious where the RMS is in reference to my leak. The half moon seals are probably "easier" to do than the RMS correct? In other words, i'd be best to to the half moon seals first??
I was referring to this post
Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 PM

1997 Maxima FSM section EM page 33 for the rear main. FSM section EM page 13 for the oil seal retainer or (Half moon gasket) as some like to call it. And to answer your question, the oil retainer seals are a little bit easier to do than the RMS being that you dont have to remove the tranny. But you do have to remove the lower oil pan, exhaust, and center cross member to do both oil retainer seals. But if the RMS is bad again then the tranny, axles, clutch & flywheel will need to come off again. Alot of work indeed

Last edited by MAXC; 04-21-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM

1997 Maxima FSM section EM page 33 for the rear main.
FSM section EM page 13 for the oil seal retainer or (Half moon gasket) as some like to call it,
Like I said, I looked there but did not see anything that said "rear main" in the diagram, maybe its called something else...I get that it tells you how to tear it apart. But you are not answering my question about should I do both or just the half moons. I'll look at the diagram again when I am not on mobile. Also, no need to imply that I didn't read, but that post did not answer my question.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Like I said, I looked there but did not see anything that said "rear main" in the diagram, maybe its called something else...I get that it tells you how to tear it apart. But you are not answering my question about should I do both or just the half moons. I'll look at the diagram again when I am not on mobile. Also, no need to imply that I didn't read, but that post did not answer my question.
You must have answered while i was editing. Please reread. It does'nt say "rear main". It says "rear oil seal" Step 4 says to remove the oir retainer seal ( the half moon gasket) which is on the oil pan so with that being said. If the shop did do the RMS then they didnt do the retainer seal. which is why its still leaking.

Last edited by MAXC; 04-21-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:45 PM

You must have answered while i was editing. Please re-read
Yup, that's what happened ok, that answered my question. It seems it DOES make sense to start with changing the upper pan seals first since that seems to be the most common spot for leaking, then if the leak persists, move on to the RMS. Start small then move big I guess. I think the pan I can do myself over a four days but the RMS I'll have to have someone do i think. Thanks. Again, I'll look at the fsm cause I am still curious as to the location of the RMS in relation to that leak area.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 AM

I've searched.
. a newb who searched...couldnt find and then posted a thread...outstanding. more should be like you, but good luck with your leak...
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks. I'm no longer a patawon...but a jedi master...hee hee...actually,thanks for all the responses.I know now what I have to do.Shouldnt be a big deal but we will see.Love the car and the wealth of info on this site.I guess thats what you get with a 17 year old car!

Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
. a newb who searched...couldnt find and then posted a thread...outstanding. more should be like you, but good luck with your leak...
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 AM

Make sure to update with what you do. It will definitely help me and probably others as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 AM

1997 Maxima FSM section EM page 33 for the rear main. FSM section EM page 13 for the oil seal retainer or (Half moon gasket) as some like to call it. And to answer your question, the oil retainer seals are a little bit easier to do than the RMS being that you dont have to remove the tranny. But you do have to remove the lower oil pan, exhaust, and center cross member to do both oil retainer seals. But if the RMS is bad again then the tranny, axles, clutch & flywheel will need to come off again. Alot of work indeed
OK, I re-looked at EM-33 and it only shows the rear main seal itself and how to apply RTV to it, it DOES NOT show where it is located on the motor. So, can anyone point me to where approximately it is located on the motor or a diagram of where it is on the motor?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 AM

OK, I re-looked at EM-33 and it only shows the rear main seal itself and how to apply RTV to it, it DOES NOT show where it is located on the motor. So, can anyone point me to where approximately it is located on the motor or a diagram of where it is on the motor?
This is the link to the pics that you need and you will see why I stated before, the RMS is fine and the half moon seal is what leaks. Right when the transmission is off, you will see it. http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=66
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 AM

This is what someone else did in a thread on here but DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!!! THey just dabbed a bunch of silicone over the seal without replacing it.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 AM

This is the link to the pics that you need and you will see why I stated before, the RMS is fine and the half moon seal is what leaks. Right when the transmission is off, you will see it. http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=66
Is that picture looking at it from the driver side or passenger side when it is still in the vehicle? Also, it appears I am missing that black cover that covers the flywheel access hole...so someone has been in there for something...clutch maybe before I got it. Is that cover missing a big deal?

Edit: Ok with that second pic of what not to do, it looks like you are looking at it from the driver side. Ok, I think I just confirmgrd mine as the half moon since its leaking down from more toward the middle of the engine. that was exactly the pic I was looking for. Thanks! And why would you go that far and just put silicone on its instead of replacing it? That's just stupid!

Edit again: for my own knowledge, if it was the RMS leaking, it would be coming out of the "pry hole" by that black access cover right?

Last edited by 2brosgixxer; 04-22-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Is that picture looking at it from the driver side or passenger side when it is still in the vehicle? Also, it appears I am missing that black cover that covers the flywheel access hole...so someone has been in there for something...clutch maybe before I got it. Is that cover missing a big deal?

Edit: Ok with that second pic of what not to do, it looks like you are looking at it from the driver side. Ok, I think I just confirmgrd mine as the half moon since its leaking down from more toward the middle of the engine. that was exactly the pic I was looking for. Thanks! And why would you go that far and just put silicone on its instead of replacing it? That's just stupid!

Edit again: for my own knowledge, if it was the RMS leaking, it would be coming out of the "pry hole" by that black access cover right?
That is the shortcut way of fixing it in the pic someone did which will not last long. If the RMS was leaking, it would show from the same access hole but the oil would leak from the middle of RMS instead of underneath it.

Also, thos route is easier than taking the oil pans off as it is more involved but its not the correct way to fix the problem.

Last edited by Trini Boom; 04-22-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks like it was the upper oil pan seals that were leaking.Mechanic doing repair job now. i will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Thanks for everyones input.

Make sure to update with what you do. It will definitely help me and probably others as well.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Looks like it was the upper oil pan seals that were leaking.Mechanic doing repair job now. i will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Thanks for everyones input.

If its done properly as per FSM, you should not have a drip of oil afterwards. Keep your fingers crossed that your mechanic is patient and doesn't strip any bolts as this would not help either when they use their air tools to tighten...
Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If its done properly as per FSM, you should not have a drip of oil afterwards. Keep your fingers crossed that your mechanic is patient and doesn't strip any bolts as this would not help either when they use their air tools to tighten...
well,had the car a couple of days and have been checking it often,i can now report zero leaks.the underside is completely dry,very good feeling.i suspect it may have been the upper oil seals all along but I needed a new clutch so changing the RMS was a given considering.anyways,thanks for everyones help.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Name:  96MaximaProblems_1-1-1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  44.2 KB

So they pulled the upper pan and replaced the half moon seals and no leaks? Glad to hear your leak is fixed.

I am still a little torn on mine though cause it looks like it might be both places. Mine looks like it is seeping out of the crack where the red arrow on the right points AND also coming down FROM where the arrow on the left points and then down and is accumulating near the "crack". (This pic is not a pic of my leak so this is the best I can describe it) I think it's probably easier to drop the upper pan than transmission so i'll probably start with the upper pan seals first and hope that works.