4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I'm thinking of selling my 4th gen. Just wanted your opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM

I'm thinking of selling my 4th gen. Just wanted your opinions.

About a month and a half ago I bought a 95 SE 5 spd. Unaware at the time, I later learned that I lucked into a car with an already swapped MEVI intake manifold, along with a CAI and a short shifter installed. The car is in awesome shape and I love it, but driving stick shift in Miami is impossible sometimes. I feel like all I'm doing in bumper to bumper traffic is burning out my clutch and putting stress on the car. I don't want to sell it, because I know how rare these cars are now and the fact that it has some nice mods on it already, I'd hate to let it go. But for a daily driver in traffic, I need an auto.

My question is, should I sell it, or should I keep it and save up for a 90's automatic, like an Infiniti Q45 or G20 or I30, maybe even a sentra or an auto 4th gen! Also, how much would you suspect that I'd be able to get for it considering it's in pretty good shape?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you don't love the car, sell it. If you love it and can bare the stop and go traffic, keep it.

For me, it would all depend on the condition of the car and of coarse the amount of money that I can get for it if I'd sell it. If I can find a good buyer, I'd get rid of it and get something I can actually use. I don't like automatics but they're great in stop and go traffic.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by tipsycoma
About a month and a half ago I bought a 95 SE 5 spd. Unaware at the time, I later learned that I lucked into a car with an already swapped MEVI intake manifold, along with a CAI and a short shifter installed. The car is in awesome shape and I love it, but driving stick shift in Miami is impossible sometimes. I feel like all I'm doing in bumper to bumper traffic is burning out my clutch and putting stress on the car. I don't want to sell it, because I know how rare these cars are now and the fact that it has some nice mods on it already, I'd hate to let it go. But for a daily driver in traffic, I need an auto.

My question is, should I sell it, or should I keep it and save up for a 90's automatic, like an Infiniti Q45 or G20 or I30, maybe even a sentra or an auto 4th gen! Also, how much would you suspect that I'd be able to get for it considering it's in pretty good shape?

How much miles on the car?post pictures
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
if you don't love the car, sell it. If you love it and can bare the stop and go traffic, keep it.

For me, it would all depend on the condition of the car and of coarse the amount of money that I can get for it if I'd sell it. If I can find a good buyer, I'd get rid of it and get something I can actually use. I don't like automatics but they're great in stop and go traffic.
Thanks for the response.

I do love the car. I'm on this forum solely because I LOVE 5 speed Maximas in general. If I sell the car, I'd post it on craigslist and I'd probably end up selling it to someone who doesn't even know what a MEVI intake is and wouldn't appreciate the vehicle for it's rarity. Because of that I don't think I'd get more than 2500. In such a case, it's not worth selling. I'd be better off cancelling the insurance on it, keeping it at home, fixing it up over time while having bought an automatic to use for daily driving.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Banned

you must not be a 5spd type of driver, bumper to bumper traffic, thats gonna happen regardless. But like nsnrider said if you don't like it sell it and get something you like. Or just swap a auto tranny check a local junkyard or car-part. A buddy of mine got a LSD auto trans from local junkyard for like $150

you can always sell the mods and put it back to stock than sell it if you feel you that way about selling it to someone who may not car about that stuff or even notice what its purpose is for.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stonelove670
How much miles on the car?post pictures
The odometer says 192000, but I'm almost certain the motor was rebuilt in it's recent history.

Here are some pics, not the greatest of quality but they'll do. It has 99 SE rims on it now, not those ugly 5th gen ones.

CIMG0181.jpg?t=1331950827CIMG0167.jpg?t=1331593820
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Well the weird thing is all (30 of my Maxima(s) are A/T and I do have a 5 spd Nissan D21 hardbody pick up that i drive as well....I never had a problem driving a M/T in Houston's horrible traffic but leaving it in 1st or second gear works for me in tight a$$ traffic or just leaving enough room that I don't need to brake as much.....I would personally keep that 4th Gen and maybe get a inexpensive DD with a 4 cylinder....I wouldn't part with a perfectly good car dude! That's my Honest opinion...Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
you must not be a 5spd type of driver, bumper to bumper traffic, thats gonna happen regardless. But like nsnrider said if you don't like it sell it and get something you like. Or just swap a auto tranny check a local junkyard or car-part. A buddy of mine got a LSD auto trans from local junkyard for like $150

you can always sell the mods and put it back to stock than sell it if you feel you that way about selling it to someone who may not car about that stuff or even notice what its purpose is for.
I love 5 speed. In fact I hate driving automatics as well. 5 speed is so much funner to drive. The problem is traffic and the constant stops. I barely ever get go above 3rd gear most of the time on my way to work, and I can't really enjoy the 5 speed to it's maximum potential. I'd never swap an auto in, or put it back to stock, as the labor costs of doing so would probably make me lose money in the process. The car is good the way it is, it's just a conflict with the fact that I want to sell it due to traffic, but don't want to sell it because I doubt I'll find another 5 speed 4th gen with a MEVI already installed again.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 AM

I love 5 speed. In fact I hate driving automatics as well. 5 speed is so much funner to drive. The problem is traffic and the constant stops. I barely ever get go above 3rd gear most of the time on my way to work, and I can't really enjoy the 5 speed to it's maximum potential. I'd never swap an auto in, or put it back to stock, as the labor costs of doing so would probably make me lose money in the process. The car is good the way it is, it's just a conflict with the fact that I want to sell it due to traffic, but don't want to sell it because I doubt I'll find another 5 speed 4th gen with a MEVI already installed again.
bare with it, or drive at a different time or route lol. i hate stop + go but i would never get auto. i love rowing my own and rev match downshifting. plus if its not DSG or some similar system then the exhaust note on an auto sounds stupid imo. i hate that 'sliding' sound into next gear.