4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brand New Clutch Slipping...WTF!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brand New Clutch Slipping...WTF!?!

order and installed a new XTD stage 3 clutch kit by mechanic. owned this same clutch previously and was extremely pleased with it.. decided to replace it with the same set up since i needed the tranny rebuilt. got the car back yesterday evening and realized that the feel of the clutch pedal was completely different and the clutch itself would slip with less than 50-60% throttle (no matter what gear i was in) i took it back to the mechanic this morning and he claims that i may have ordered the wrong clutch or pressure plate (had to look at him with the -____- face) he also claims that my clutch cannot be adjusted in my car and that no one messed with the pedal during installation so the problem shouldn't lay there.

What if feels like to me is that it isn't fully engaging and there is still some pressure being applied to the pressure plate. what he ends up doing is removing the slave and grinding down the rod in side. to be honest, that method actually worked a bit. the pedal doesn't feel as weird, it gave me just a little play above the pedal(not enough Imo) and the slipping isn't as bad. 100%Throttle and the slipping is this there. WHAT CAN BE THE ISSUE HERE?

Thanks in advance for the advise
p.s. sry for the essay. wanted to give as much detail possible for best feedback
Old 05-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

He installed it wrong. His method to fix it is wrong. He is blaming you which is wrong.

Apparently he does not guarantee his work too well.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM

A. The Clutch Can be Adjusted.
B. So now your engagement point is probably super high than compared to before, my thoughts are you did order the wrong one... or at least the wrong PP... Something is up not letting the clutch fully disengage like you said.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i'm sure that i didn't order the wrong kit. after he shaved the rod (in the slave) down a bit but made a huge improvement. so how do i go about adjusting the clutch??
Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by hitman1
i'm sure that i didn't order the wrong kit. after he shaved the rod (in the slave) down a bit but made a huge improvement. so how do i go about adjusting the clutch??
It's hard as fck tight space, needs a small ninja nissan master mechanic... or a tiny puerto rican friend who's handy w/ a small 10mm wrench.

It's like adjusting the throttle cable actually now that I think about it....

It's hard to type up here how to do it, but once someone squeezes down there to do it, it makes sense.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM

order and installed a new XTD stage 3 clutch kit by mechanic. owned this same clutch previously and was extremely pleased with it.. decided to replace it with the same set up since i needed the tranny rebuilt. got the car back yesterday evening and realized that the feel of the clutch pedal was completely different and the clutch itself would slip with less than 50-60% throttle (no matter what gear i was in) i took it back to the mechanic this morning and he claims that i may have ordered the wrong clutch or pressure plate (had to look at him with the -____- face) he also claims that my clutch cannot be adjusted in my car and that no one messed with the pedal during installation so the problem shouldn't lay there.

What if feels like to me is that it isn't fully engaging and there is still some pressure being applied to the pressure plate. what he ends up doing is removing the slave and grinding down the rod in side. to be honest, that method actually worked a bit. the pedal doesn't feel as weird, it gave me just a little play above the pedal(not enough Imo) and the slipping isn't as bad. 100%Throttle and the slipping is this there. WHAT CAN BE THE ISSUE HERE?

Thanks in advance for the advise
p.s. sry for the essay. wanted to give as much detail possible for best feedback
go tell ur mechanic it was adjustable and its fixed and then tell me what his excuse was for not knowing... i hate over confident mechanics like that.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
go tell ur mechanic it was adjustable and its fixed and then tell me what his excuse was for not knowing... i hate over confident mechanics like that.
I'd LOVE to go and tell him that. but i'd rather it be true before i do so.

so the adjustment takes place directly by the pedal itself? no need to touch the slave again?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 AM

Adjusting clutch OR clutch pedal? How's the hydraulic system - mster and slave cyl, lines, and fluid? Bled it?

No one messed with the pedal? Why the hell is he not gonna adjust the pedal if the just replaced a clutch?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM

so the adjustment takes place directly by the pedal itself? no need to touch the slave again?
Correct.

The pedal threads into the master cylinder and a bolt locks it all in place.

Hard to imagine in your head based on that description but once someone gets down there to look at and fools with it for a bit it all makes sense.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

OP, where did you get the previous XTD clutch installed at? same guy/shop? or did your max already come with it installed? just curious, cause I know I would be upset if I was in that position.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
OP, where did you get the previous XTD clutch installed at? same guy/shop? or did your max already come with it installed? just curious, cause I know I would be upset if I was in that position.
the first time, my boys did it in the backyard and it was perfect. this time i went to an actual shop this a licensed mechanic to get it installed and i'm having issues!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Stage 3? goodness gracious race car
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Banned

the first time, my boys did it in the backyard and it was perfect. this time i went to an actual shop this a licensed mechanic to get it installed and i'm having issues!
damn that sucks man, hope you get it resolved.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Once the trans is on there is no adjustment. You can only adjust the pedal. Also I am sure you know it needs to be broken in. I hope you got the flywheel resurfaced prior to getting that clutch installed, if not that may be your problem. I only say that because of the type of clutch it is, after my oem I only took some sandpaper to the flywheel because it was flat.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Name:  1010001416.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  49.6 KB

heres a pic of the adjustment u need to get under the dash an look at the linkage of the clutch pedal
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe

heres a pic of the adjustment u need to get under the dash an look at the linkage of the clutch pedal
That only adjusts your pedal height. As long as you have a little travel at the top it wont affect the clutch itself. When the piston in the MC is at rest, a port is uncovered and releases all pressure on the TO lever.