4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will the automagic be quick if...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 08:03 PM

Will the automagic be quick if...

I add a CAI, Y-Pipe, Don's VB mod, and reprogram the ECU? Any luck of getting into the high 14's like you 5 spds. with minimal bolt-ons? I used to own a 95 6 speed Trans Am,350rwhp, but had to get rid of it due to insurance/gas/ and I needed more money for college. With this in mind, I also though an automatic would be a good choice for me...Man was I wrong.I miss my 6 spd. more and more everyday...But there is no turning back now since the 95 automatic SE has already been purchased. Would these mods be worth my time/money...Or should I not waste my hard earned money trying to make a automagic quick, and lean more towards looks.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-05-2002, 08:17 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

My automagic is quick with no mods...so you can get somewhere...
Old 01-05-2002, 08:18 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Wow that must be a big change...I mean the Max is a great car, has great throttle response and is the quickest car in it's class, but to come from a monster like that...phew. Well the Max WILL be 10x more reliable. If that matters to you.

All those things will help you alot. The ECU for our cars will give you nothing like the gains it woulda given you on your old trans am. Not enough research has been done on our cars.

Those mods will put you in the low 15's, maybe a 14.994 if you have slicks or somethin. (I donno if that'll help though)

Well that's about all I got, take it easy.

BTW I got a question 4 ya. What was your best E/T with your old trans am ? And, even though coming from that to a Maxi is obviously a big change, can you notice the Maxima to be a quick car ?
Old 01-05-2002, 08:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, the Maxima has descent pickup, but nothing compares to 350rwhp. Actually, I believe I am going to enjoy the Maxima more than the TA...I know it sounds funny. Reliablility was tough on the LT1 which had K&N Cold Air Intake, Mac Y-Pipe/Offroad Pipe/ Borla Cat-Back, LT4KM, Jet Airfoil, 52MM TB, LT4 valve springs, 1.6 RR, LT4 Hotcam, and heads cleaned up and slightly ported by a good friend. Didn't ever get to the tracks much, but a 13.2 was the best I managed with a crappy 2.26 60ft. I know frinds with LS1's with headers/4:10 gears running in the 12's all day long with Nittos, but my runs wre on crappy GS-C's. The 11 MPG was hurting me here In Tallahassee, along with the stupid tickets I was receiving...Racing on highway, 103 in a 45, and one for unlawful start from a stopped position (Smoking Tires) It really was a great car, and I am sure I will own an LS1 Trans Am in the next couple of years when I graduate college, but as far as a daily driver vehicle goes, it just wasn't cutting it. When I purchased this Maxima 2 weeks ago, I said I would not get into any performance aspects of modding...But am beginning to get an itch since I'll be daily driving it for the next 2 years...And after expecting to pay $1200 for a laptop, but getting a GREAT deal through my friend...Along with the $800 scholarship money that comes in the 18th...I will have some $$$ to play around with.
Rob
Old 01-05-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Rino1313
Don't get me wrong, the Maxima has descent pickup, but nothing compares to 350rwhp. Actually, I believe I am going to enjoy the Maxima more than the TA...I know it sounds funny. Reliablility was tough on the LT1 which had K&N Cold Air Intake, Mac Y-Pipe/Offroad Pipe/ Borla Cat-Back, LT4KM, Jet Airfoil, 52MM TB, LT4 valve springs, 1.6 RR, LT4 Hotcam, and heads cleaned up and slightly ported by a good friend. Didn't ever get to the tracks much, but a 13.2 was the best I managed with a crappy 2.26 60ft. I know frinds with LS1's with headers/4:10 gears running in the 12's all day long with Nittos, but my runs wre on crappy GS-C's. The 11 MPG was hurting me here In Tallahassee, along with the stupid tickets I was receiving...Racing on highway, 103 in a 45, and one for unlawful start from a stopped position (Smoking Tires) It really was a great car, and I am sure I will own an LS1 Trans Am in the next couple of years when I graduate college, but as far as a daily driver vehicle goes, it just wasn't cutting it. When I purchased this Maxima 2 weeks ago, I said I would not get into any performance aspects of modding...But am beginning to get an itch since I'll be daily driving it for the next 2 years...And after expecting to pay $1200 for a laptop, but getting a GREAT deal through my friend...Along with the $800 scholarship money that comes in the 18th...I will have some $$$ to play around with.
Rob
cool. yup. Well the Maxima and the trans am are two TOTALLY different kinds of cars. I'm sure you feel somewhat pampered in this Maxima compared to your TA. Speed just can't be matched without goin overboard. Their is, however a Automatic maxima in the 12.0's VERY close to 11's. It's actually Don Cooper, (Don's VB Mod)

Well i'll write more tommorow to you when I get the time, until then, engine the VQ (your engine), the only engine to receive "wards 10 best engines" 7 years in a row. "Their isn't a better V-6 in all of automobiledom, regardless of price"
Old 01-06-2002, 10:40 AM

Rino, where in Florida are you located ?
Old 01-06-2002, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mzmtg
My automagic is quick with no mods...so you can get somewhere...

Yeah, but you probably have one of them fast factory freaks like Medic.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Yeah, but you probably have one of them fast factory freaks like Medic.
Well count me in to Cumalot, don't forget about that z06 I wasted..
Old 01-06-2002, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Well count me in to Cumalot, don't forget about that z06 I wasted..

Old 01-06-2002, 11:16 AM

My home w/ my parents is in Palm Harbor (Where that kid who ran the plane into the Bank Of America building was from, now famous), but I am attending Florida State University here in Tallahassee, FL.
Rob
Old 01-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Will the automagic be quick if...

I add a CAI, Y-Pipe, Don's VB mod, and reprogram the ECU? Any luck of getting into the high 14's like you 5 spds. with minimal bolt-ons? I used to own a 95 6 speed Trans Am,350rwhp, but had to get rid of it due to insurance/gas/ and I needed more money for college. With this in mind, I also though an automatic would be a good choice for me...Man was I wrong.I miss my 6 spd. more and more everyday...But there is no turning back now since the 95 automatic SE has already been purchased. Would these mods be worth my time/money...Or should I not waste my hard earned money trying to make a automagic quick, and lean more towards looks.
Thanks,
Rob
I have a 99 with a POP charger & a warpspeed y. It was stock for the first 2 years I had it. I just started modding it because it was either trade from boredon or try to keep my enthusiuasm. But the extra kick has kept my interest in teh car. Definately worth the $350.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:00 PM

quick and simple answer.

the 5speed maxima will always be 1 second faster with the same mods. You'll get low 15s with the bolt on mods but you won't get the power you used to have back. Sure Don has a low 12 second auto maxima, but its not a low 12 second maxima on the street unless he is always spraying NOS and running with smaller tires to get through the gears quicker.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:10 PM

Re: Will the automagic be quick if...

Thanks,
Rob
I'm stock and I'm pretty close to the fellas with all that stuff. I would say my car is a freak also.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by theblue
quick and simple answer.

the 5speed maxima will always be 1 second faster with the same mods. You'll get low 15s with the bolt on mods but you won't get the power you used to have back. Sure Don has a low 12 second auto maxima, but its not a low 12 second maxima on the street unless he is always spraying NOS and running with smaller tires to get through the gears quicker.
Not true. As cars get faster and faster , an automatic or semi-automatic transmission is preferred.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic

Not true. As cars get faster and faster , an automatic or semi-automatic transmission is preferred.
maybe for drag racing, but anything else (like daily driving, and autox, and race tracks) then forget it.