4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th Gen PNP Standalone+Gauging Interest/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:29 AM

So did you get anywhere with them yesterday?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by max1008
So did you get anywhere with them yesterday?
Voicemail
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by aackshun
Voicemail
Aaron, about the Megasquirt being able to control automatic transmissions - it looks like they can! This looks great.

http://www.megamanual.com/MSFAQ.htm#trans

EDIT: The MS II is also MAP and MAF compatible - directly senses the MAF, the manual says.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/

Last edited by grey99max; 06-21-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM

12x12
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Well I think Chocolate and Max should take their cars to Suwannee!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Did they ever call you back?
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM

Any updates?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 AM

I haven't forgotten, just waiting to hear back from the MS guy.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 AM

I haven't forgotten, just waiting to hear back from the MS guy.
Damn I really want lol **** it, I still have visa... i'll be watching the thread.

Ms is pretty cool. On the ninja 250 forum there was a guy who.converted his carburated bike into a throttle body injection system and used one of ms's systems to control it. Actually its become somewhat popular with tuning motorcycles.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 AM

I'm just ready to get this done...you sure this company is serious about trying to do this and you weren't being blown a lot of hot air. They want the commit and car and we can provide this and now the ball is in their court...
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Black Lion

If this this is truly going to be plug and play (can easily swap back to stock ECU need be) for 4th gens and it has all the capability as Greddy Emanage Ultimate, then Im in. Of course price range is going to play a role as well.

Last edited by maxprivate; 07-06-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 AM

Yes this is serious.

We need one more person.....

Carsnwomen? ChocoStraw?? You guys ready in or out?

Edit: heard back from the dealer, besides having a box made for us sooner than never, that's our only "perk" for the person who donates their car for SCIENCE!

Last edited by aackshun; 06-28-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:02 AM

SCIENCE!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Boosted Panda

Edit: heard back from the dealer, besides having a box made for us sooner than never, that's our only "perk" for the person who donates their car for SCIENCE!
Thats pretty lame of them being that by the person offering up their vehicle will be opening up a new market of sales for their product. Especially with the requirement of 10 confirmed buyers before even moving forward.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Thats pretty lame of them being that by the person offering up their vehicle will be opening up a new market of sales for their product. Especially with the requirement of 10 confirmed buyers before even moving forward.
I agree. But I understand, they dont wanna get stuck with a product that might not sell.

Will there be a base map with this stand alone? How easy will it be to tune?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I agree. But I understand, they dont wanna get stuck with a product that might not sell.

I don't see how it won't sell if they need at least 10 confirmed buyers , all the donor is asking for is to give them the one unit being installed and tested with.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM

Yes it is, since that's their general policy, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, do you really think there's going to be more than 15 boxes ever made for this car? EVER?

Lets take a gander at how many guys are running 3" exhaust on their vehicles..... Yeahhh...

This, I am glad they're at least actively willing to do that unlike most other companies out there.

Yes, a stock map. I have not personally fooled w/ the MS software myself, but from other people who are more familiar w/ the MS units and tuning in general they all say once you learn one it's all about the same, there's also an Autotune function, but I don't know how effective it is....

I don't see how it won't sell if they need at least 10 confirmed buyers , all the donor is asking for is to give them the one unit being installed and tested with.
Take a hint from the Cattman 3" for us you'd figure people would be lining up left and right to get it.... but no....

And MS is doing the testing for us, all we have to do is hand over our $$$ and viola we receive a finished product.

Sooooo...... I can count you as #10 right
Old 06-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Boosted Panda

Yes it is, since that's their general policy, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, do you really think there's going to be more than 15 boxes ever made for this car? EVER?

Lets take a gander at how many guys are running 3" exhaust on their vehicles..... Yeahhh...

This, I am glad they're at least actively willing to do that unlike most other companies out there.

Yes, a stock map. I have not personally fooled w/ the MS software myself, but from other people who are more familiar w/ the MS units and tuning in general they all say once you learn one it's all about the same, there's also an Autotune function, but I don't know how effective it is....

Take a hint from the Cattman 3" for us you'd figure people would be lining up left and right to get it.... but no....

And MS is doing the testing for us, all we have to do is hand over our $$$ and viola we receive a finished product.

Sooooo...... I can count you as #10 right
That's not even a fair comparison, most don't feel the gains are justified for the amount of money, plus the increased noise. Most are happy with their cheap eBay setups.
However this has much more potential. Consider the amount of people using reflashed ecus or other piggybacks, much larger group there.
I personally am not interested in it based on the fact j will be using the jwt ecu and emanage.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM

That's not even a fair comparison, most don't feel the gains are justified for the amount of money, plus the increased noise. Most are happy with their cheap eBay setups.
However this has much more potential. Consider the amount of people using reflashed ecus or other piggybacks, much larger group there.
I personally am not interested in it based on the fact j will be using the jwt ecu and emanage.
So I assume you like having those long start ups....

And those guys are long gone, the main crowd of 4th gen owners are younger guys with smaller budgets, I'm sure if the 3" exhaust was where it was today back in the hay day of JWT ecu's we'd see A LOT more on the road today.

The same people who don't feel like a 3" catback is justifiable are going to give the same excuse for this PNP unit.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Boosted Panda

So I assume you like having those long start ups....

And those guys are long gone, the main crowd of 4th gen owners are younger guys with smaller budgets, I'm sure if the 3" exhaust was where it was today back in the hay day of JWT ecu's we'd see A LOT more on the road today.

The same people who don't feel like a 3" catback is justifiable are going to give the same excuse for this PNP unit.
Well back in the day there was a 3" setup available through warpspeed but not many purchased that setup either so even if the Cattman setup was available I don't think we would see a LOT on the road. H#ll cattman had exhaust systems as well as y pipes available then and many didn't buy those setups either
I still see many newbies looking for emanages and afc's
Also, with the JWT I never experienced long starts. Emanage will just be used for timing and slight adjustment of fuel. My JWT is already tuned for my injectors and the Z32 MAF
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 AM

Well back in the day there was a 3" setup available through warpspeed but not many purchased that setup either so even if the Cattman setup was available I don't think we would see a LOT on the road. H#ll cattman had exhaust systems as well as y pipes available then and many didn't buy those setups either
I still see many newbies looking for emanages and afc's
Also, with the JWT I never experienced long starts. Emanage will just be used for timing and slight adjustment of fuel. My JWT is already tuned for my injectors and the Z32 MAF
Ohhh! I thought Grey99 had that custom made for his car..... I would have loved to have it back then, little I knew (yodaspeak), about these cars way back

Oh I thought you had it back then, I'm sure it would have been easier to take your car to a local shop in Austin to have it adjusted rather then sending it to JWT and having them do the work.... But it's all done now you don't have a need for this now, but I'm sure for anyone else wanting to avoid the headache they would like to have this....
Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Boosted Panda

Oh I thought you had it back then, I'm sure it would have been easier to take your car to a local shop in Austin to have it adjusted rather then sending it to JWT and having them do the work.... But it's all done now you don't have a need for this now, but I'm sure for anyone else wanting to avoid the headache they would like to have this....
I did have it professionally tuned by Justin Nenni.
Jwt just tuned the ecu for my injectors and MAF, not afrs so I will eventually take it back to Justin to fine time with the emanage. The jwt will allow smooth startups as well as the extended rev limiter.
But yes, a true stand alone is the way to go. If it had been available in the past I would hve gone this route
Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Blown

how much do they need down to get in? Or are they looking for full payment before they start? Sorry if this has been posted, I did not read the whole thread.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM

if this unit has support for all sensors, cold start, idle w ac, etc... and is priced well.. i dont see how it wont sell atleast 10 units.... as long as its proven to work well. any price yet?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by aic96max
if this unit has support for all sensors, cold start, idle w ac, etc... and is priced well.. i dont see how it wont sell atleast 10 units.... as long as its proven to work well. any price yet?
I couldnt agree more. It has to be plug and play as stated in This thread , no start problems, base maps, and of course provide similar features as other stand alones on the market. Most boosted Max owners go with blue or ultimate from what I read. So MS stand alone has to be in this league.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Ohhh! I thought Grey99 had that custom made for his car..... I would have loved to have it back then, little I knew (yodaspeak), about these cars way back
Actually I did drive to Warpspeed in Arkansas and spent the day having a ceramic Y-pipe and complete 3" catback built one piece at a time. I still have those photos of Dallas and his brother cutting, bending, building and welding the whole thing, with the car on a 4-post lift. I was super-impressed with just how darn good those guys were. The cat was 3", the resonator is a 24" long hollow sharktooth ceramic piece, and the 3" aluminized pipe was built and welded in sections, with a 3" muffler and shiny tip. It's still there today, only a straight pipe replacing the cat and a new Flowmaster D50 SUV muffler. I still have the receipt, too - over $800...

I drove home that day and got 2mpg more going home than I did going there.

I'm still looking forward to my MS.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Black Lion

Wouldnt work for a true boosted setup. If your making decent boost you will be running bigger injectors which the MS can be tuned for, good luck just swapping out at will.
Im guessing your saying an easy swap is out of the question? What would need to be done to swap back to stock ECU and pass emissions? Retune I guess?? Here in NJ emissions is a must for inspection renewal.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Boosted Panda

Im guessing your saying an easy swap is out of the question? What would need to be done to swap back to stock ECU and pass emissions? Retune I guess?? Here in NJ emissions is a must for inspection renewal.
If your NA, should be able to do a swap out and just drive till the OEM ecu sets everything to a ready status, however sometime that can take a little while.
But for us guys running much larger injectors, I dont see how you could simply swap over without having the ability to control fuel.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:42 AM
Black Lion

If your NA, should be able to do a swap out and just drive till the OEM ecu sets everything to a ready status, however sometime that can take a little while.
But for us guys running much larger injectors, I dont see how you could simply swap over without having the ability to control fuel.
Im NA now but I wont be in the future. I'll be running 550cc injectors most likely, so I dont know.. is it even possible to pass emissions? Hopefully I wont have to go back to stock injectors.. just thinking out loud. This is a daily driver, so it needs to pass emissions.

I just dont wanna be sold on this by being told "can easily swap to stock ecu" to pass emissions when it may be much more difficult than just swapping back to stock ECU.

Last edited by maxprivate; 06-30-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by cardana24
how much do they need down to get in? Or are they looking for full payment before they start? Sorry if this has been posted, I did not read the whole thread.
$300 or less, I was aiming for $250, but that was before we had the group of interested ppl, now that we have interest I have more weight in my conversation.

Originally Posted by aic96max
It will, it's MS so it's going to be cheap.

I know right? Sounds like every other great 4th gen mod out there... I just hope this one doesn't fall off the market like the others.

Originally Posted by grey99max
Actually I did drive to Warpspeed in Arkansas and spent the day having a ceramic Y-pipe and complete 3" catback built one piece at a time. I still have those photos of Dallas and his brother cutting, bending, building and welding the whole thing, with the car on a 4-post lift. I was super-impressed with just how darn good those guys were. The cat was 3", the resonator is a 24" long hollow sharktooth ceramic piece, and the 3" aluminized pipe was built and welded in sections, with a 3" muffler and shiny tip. It's still there today, only a straight pipe replacing the cat and a new Flowmaster D50 SUV muffler. I still have the receipt, too - over $800...

I drove home that day and got 2mpg more going home than I did going there.

I'm still looking forward to my MS.
Wowww, I wish I could get ahold of a 24" 3" Resonator, I'm having a hard time shopping online for one.... That thing sounds truly unique, never hear another maxima like it!

Me too! I can't wait to unleash the power within the White-mare.

Im NA now but I wont be in the future. I'll be running 550cc injectors most likely, so I dont know.. is it even possible to pass emissions? Hopefully I wont have to go back to stock injectors.. just thinking out loud. This is a daily driver, so it needs to pass emissions.

I just dont wanna be sold on this by being told "can easily swap to stock ecu" to pass emissions when it may be much more difficult than just swapping back to stock ECU.
Well, I just may buy my own OBDII scanner so I can settle this once and for all, maybe it's a 99 ECU only thing, but mine does store codes, the red car hasn't had power since November 1st so we will find out sometime today.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

You can always use some tape to block off part of the MAF sensor tunnel. The MAF sees less air flow and shortens up the injector pulse and runs leaner. It really does work like that - I tweak my A/F when I change something - like installing '08 Altima LIM and UIMs, which made the engine really rich with increased air flow thru the MAF. I moved the tape down about 1/16" and back to 13:1 WOT.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Black Lion

$300 or less, I was aiming for $250, but that was before we had the group of interested ppl, now that we have interest I have more weight in my conversation.

It will, it's MS so it's going to be cheap.
Great but will it be at the sacrifice of quality?

Well, I just may buy my own OBDII scanner so I can settle this once and for all, maybe it's a 99 ECU only thing, but mine does store codes, the red car hasn't had power since November 1st so we will find out sometime today.
Great but what injectors are you running? If they are stock then it wont be a true test..
Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 PM

Great but what injectors are you running? If they are stock then it wont be a true test..
Stock, but why does it matter?

If the ECU stores it's ready-state then it stores it's ready state, if your car is having startup issues because of the rich factor then i'd say use the magical wonders of Tape!

I'm sure if we think hard there will be ways around getting an inspection done w/ the stock ecu and a lot of mods, because this isn't the first time a PNP standalone has been made for a car ever....

Last edited by aackshun; 07-01-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Boosted Panda

IDK, Ive spoken to a few other 99 owners and they confirmed theyve lreset codes by unplugging power to the ecu.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 AM

dyno numbers
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Wowww, I wish I could get ahold of a 24" 3" Resonator, I'm having a hard time shopping online for one.... That thing sounds truly unique, never hear another maxima like it!
UPDATE: I looked at the receipt for the Warpspeed exhaust system this morning (installed Sep. 2 2004!) and the resonator was 30", not 24".
Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 AM

Yes this is serious.

We need one more person.....

Carsnwomen? ChocoStraw?? You guys ready in or out?

My B I haven't been checking lately, Yea Im in if what has been talked about here amongst ourselves is what it is actually capable of. Price dependent obviously but Im down like a clown fool you know this. If I get this it will keep me from selling my v2 as well so thats another plus
Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
UPDATE: I looked at the receipt for the Warpspeed exhaust system this morning (installed Sep. 2 2004!) and the resonator was 30", not 24".
mines not
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 AM

I'm one of the really interested younger members who has no money for this and will not for about another 3 months..... if it makes it that far, then I'll be in. I have been collecting parts to swap my exhaust (again) and do an 00vi. Plus I may or may not have a source to boost it >__> Good luck with this. It will be a great step for our cars
Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Glad to see that the 10 have been found. Was hoping to be one to help the process get going sooner, just could not locate funds in time. Can't wait to get down on this when complete!

Quick Reply: 4th Gen PNP Standalone+Gauging Interest/Discussion