4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changed rear struts - now very odd noise problem. Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Changed rear struts - now very odd noise problem. Please read!

Changed the rear struts on the 97 GLE last night with Monroe quickstruts. Everything seemed to go just fine.. until the test drive.

When the rear hits a bump, I get a hollow-sounding noise that corresponds with the movement during the bump.

I've pushed up and down on the car (both sides), pulled up and down, re-checked the upper strut mount nuts and the lower. This noise was not present before I took off the old and shot 15 year old struts.

Any ideas of where to start on this? With no noise while trying to simulate a bump it's really kind of hard to even have an idea of what to look at.

I did notice that the new struts did not have the orange gasket-type material on the top, but I highly doubt that this would be the problem.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check to see if the exhaust that goes over the axle is hitting it.

I have the same issue, and so do others. I have never definitively figured it out, some say issues with the mounts at the top. Took mine back out, checked them, reinstalled them, same deal.

I know I have a mark on my exhaust where it hits.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by sparky1562

I have the same issue, and so do others. I have never definitively figured it out, some say issues with the mounts at the top. Took mine back out, checked them, reinstalled them, same deal.

I'm going to pull the wheels tomorrow and see if anything is amiss, thanks!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Lightly tap your brake when going over bumps, I'f noise is gone you need new brake hardware.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by rf97
Lightly tap your brake when going over bumps, I'f noise is gone you need new brake hardware.
Just replaced both back calipers/pads and new pad clips.. you mean those? Noise didn't appear until these new rear struts though.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 AM

My question about this is: why would the exhaust hit the strut when it didn't on the old one? They are identical in dimensions.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On mine, I think the rubber mounts on the tailpipes have drooped, and I had a new resonator/cat put on about the same time I did the struts. I can see where mine is hitting, just not convinced that is what I am hearing.

I took mine back off after someone suggested that I had the bushings and what not in wrong, checked against the FSM, but it all back, still have the noise.

If you figure yours out, let me know. I might pull mine back off this week end and recheck everything, even look for a cracked or broken spring.

Mine happens if some one is sitting in the back seat and I go over a good size bump. Sounds like it is bottoming out.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM

On mine, I think the rubber mounts on the tailpipes have drooped, and I had a new resonator/cat put on about the same time I did the struts. I can see where mine is hitting, just not convinced that is what I am hearing.

I took mine back off after someone suggested that I had the bushings and what not in wrong, checked against the FSM, but it all back, still have the noise.

If you figure yours out, let me know. I might pull mine back off this week end and recheck everything, even look for a cracked or broken spring.

Mine happens if some one is sitting in the back seat and I go over a good size bump. Sounds like it is bottoming out.
I haven't gotten around to getting the wheel off yet, but I know I changed nothing but that strut. I was wondering if it might be that big bushing in the middle of the axle not liking the new stiffness of the struts?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 PM

I just changed my rear struts today 97 Max took out the Original struts and replaced with new complete struts--2 nuts in the truck and bolt and nut at the bottom of the strut! The old and new struts looked exact! I didnt touch or change anything else--Simple job took out old struts installed New struts.. Went for a test drive only to hear a Slight rattle sound when going over bumps..I never had this sound with the old struts! Thanks for any info.. Have a good night
Old 06-17-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Did you tighten the piston nut?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fastcarny
I just changed my rear struts today 97 Max took out the Original struts and replaced with new complete struts--2 nuts in the truck and bolt and nut at the bottom of the strut! The old and new struts looked exact! I didnt touch or change anything else--Simple job took out old struts installed New struts.. Went for a test drive only to hear a Slight rattle sound when going over bumps..I never had this sound with the old struts! Thanks for any info.. Have a good night
While you are going over these bumps, try applying the brake slightly and see if the noise still exists. If not, you have to inspect your brake pads and hardware.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Thank you J sutter I did tighten the piston bolts and the noise went away 100%--These were complete rear strut units--Just install--I wouldnt have thought that the Piston bolt wasnt tight! Wow--Imagine! I was able to turn each piston bolt 2 complete turns! noise is G O N E! Thank you.........

Last edited by fastcarny; 06-17-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM

NOISE IS GONE

Originally Posted by JSutter
Did you tighten the piston nut?
THANK YOU NO MORE NOISE!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by fastcarny
Thank you J sutter I did tighten the piston bolts and the noise went away 100%--These were complete rear strut units--Just install--I wouldnt have thought that the Piston bolt wasnt tight! Wow--Imagine! I was able to turn each piston bolt 2 complete turns! noise is G O N E! Thank you.........
Have the same issue. Is the "piston nut" the nut at the top of the strut above the strut mount? On mine, that is covered by some sort of cap, but I can probably remove it for access.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:36 PM

REAR STRUT NOISE STILL THERE NEW INSTALL

Hello again--I thought for sure i had ended the rear strut noise problem on my 97 Max but i was wrong! I did tighten everything once again-piston nut two nuts in trunk that hold the strut to the body of the car and the lower mounting bolt and nut by the wheel--Tight is the word! I still have the noise over bumps that i didnt have with the old struts! The ride is now mint--but the rattle is insane! I did everything i could but i cant make the noise in the driveway--I bounce on the back of the car I even lay down under the back of the car--Lifting up and pulling down on the body No matter what i do i cant make the noise! I even jacked the body up until the wheel came off the ground--I put a bar under the tire lifted up trying to make the sound..Cant make the sound! I tried this on both sides! Talk about making one crazy! The car was always dead silent while driving--now it rattles over bumps!! Imagine.. new rear struts.... I should have left the 15 year old sloppy struts in there--at least they were quite! LOL I would love to hear the sound in the driveway while in park-i could at least trace it down---Bounce lift shake Dead quite cant make the sound! Wow I'm fried!

Strange to say the least! Im betting the height change did something--I notice the rear of the car is up just a tad.. When i apply the brakes even the emerency brake the rattle over bumps is there--Its nothing to do with the brakes--The exhaust is tight and nothing is hitting under the car--Everything is in tact! Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

Last edited by fastcarny; 06-18-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM

REAR STRUT NOISE FIXED!

Hello all--I Looked at everything once again-I'm the one with the 97 Max who changed the rear struts (complete struts) Two bolts in the trunk for each side and a bolt and nut at the wheel.. I tightened everything-even the piston nut which i said i tightened 2 complete turns and thought i had the fix a few days ago I was wrong--TODAY--I went into the trunk and realized that i was able to turn the piston nuts even more--THE NOISE IS REALLY GONE NOW! My question is how tight can you make those nuts--They are metal nuts but have like a plastic thread over the piston stud So I wasnt sure if i can tighten anymore without harming the nut--I think i can go another turn--But nut sure.. Do these nuts stop turning when they get to the end or do they strip out because of the plastic inside the nut? Wild to say the least!! It wasnt the sway links It was the PISTON NUTS--Imagine? You would think they were tight from the factory!! So thats where i sit now--No more noise and the question about those nuts! Have a wonderful day everyone!..