4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Idle Problems Persist, Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by marcyprojects
well boys it seems this rain just started pouring. I really just want to get rid of this F*** car but I cant because I have $1k invested!

It seems I have a rear valve cover leak. Noticed it on my way home from a buddys house today. Had light smoke coming from the passenger headlight and the engine got a little noisy. Im hoping this new noise is because of my oil loss though the leak doesnt seem to be spraying or squirting. I see fresh looking oil covering one of the bolts on the exhaust, and near the PS high pressure hose. the idle is a bit high now as well but the previous vibration is gone(strange)

So my question now is, would this leaky gasket be the cause for my idle issues? I am thinking that this gasket leak might me causing some sort of a vaccum type leak?

Ill be tearing into this over the next few days, hopefully I dont destroy this car but theres no possible way I could afford to pay any mechanic to do this.

Where is my S13 when I need it man! that was the most reliable car I ever owned!
Naw man, Valve cover gasket got nothing to do with IDLE. Or the chances are very slim.

Did u ever test the IACV per FSM?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM

well it looks like the car gods are on my side right now. car is running smoothly for the first time. as stated the oil leak had nothing "directly" to do with the idle but it did help me through my process of elimination. It seems that the previous owners lack of matinence is the cause for most of this. I re cleaned my iacv again with seafoam this time instead of carb and I also finally mastered the TPS re learn and it did the trick. Im still not convinced that my TPS is in perfect order so I may still pick one up anyway. also, while attacking the oil leak I did find out how badly the insides of the engine had been maintained also. Its going to need a healthy regement of cleaning and top flight oil from now on thanks to the previous owners lack of care. hoping to get rid of the whirring noise coming from the front of the motor now. heard this was something to do with the timing cover on the side?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Glad to hear you got it going bruh. Happy modding and keep that I-ride up!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 PM

thanks dude. now on to the fun stuff hopefully. While the hole in my pocket got deeper and my hands got dirtier and more cut up, I missed out on the deal of the century. Guy out here was selling a set of rims from an 06 G35 for $200! with decent tires! i was all set to scoop em up until all this.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Yeah thats a helluva deal. But thats ok. Youre bound to run into a set of wheels thatll fit her much better