4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Having trouble; after washing engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Having trouble; after washing engine

Good afternoon all. I am experiencing some engine issues after putting on engine cleaner and washing it off with water. The pressure of the water wasn't great. I parked it and let it sit for about an hour or so. Then I fired her up and went to drive off, the transmission kind of slammed into second. (AT) It shifted fine in the next gears and did it one more time. As I was getting my laundry gathered, I let the car sit idling. With the car warmed up, it didn't do that again. This morning, started the car, let it warm up, and of course, I have a ignition coil going bad, drove off and it was ok, until I got to a point where I needed to excelerate. I did and it seemed like the tranny shifted funny. Like it jumped out of gear, which it's supposed to, but it wanted more power to get it up to speed. Drove fine until I got to a stop light and while at the light, it started hesitating, like it wanted to go. Drove on and it didn't do that.

Later that morning, I drove to the bank and it seemed ok. Went over to a lube center close by I had them check out the fluid. They said it was ok. No codes. So, then I proceeded to the post office, it was fine then, too. On the way back to the office, it was ok. Until, I started driving slowly. Not sure what the happend but it started to shift differently. I'm thinking it's going to be this coil but I wanted to see what the max-heads might come up with first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM

If you've got a bad coil, well...replace it, regardless.

I'm not so sure that the wasing of the engine is a cause-and-effect of your problems. But just in case it is...what, SPECIFICALLY, did you use to wash the engine with? I'm thinking you've got yourself a vaccuum leak, caused by some engine cleaners staying in extended contact with rubber vac hoses...you said you let it sit for an hour?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM

There are a lot of possibilities. Have you had the codes checked? From what you say, you have a P030x code for the ignition coil, but maybe there is another code to help zero in on the other problem. Maybe cleaning the engine got water in a connector, maybe not, but try parking the car facing the sun with the hood open for a day.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM

I bet you got water in the drop resistor. Also check connections for the TCM.

while at the light, it started hesitating, like it wanted to go
Do you mean it was surging? Hesitating would be a reluctance to go.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Step 1)
Replace the coil.

Step 2)
Repost results after you've driven with step 1 completed.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update

I drove home and it was horrible. It felt like i was driving 30 miles an hour. Ok. When I did get home I did this; I adjusted the TB using the top screw, the blue one. When I cleaned the IACV I moved the screw up as far as I could to remove all the carbon. When I screwed it back, I did not remember to check the TB method, by removing the two connectors on the TB. Well, did it today and it was waaaaay off. It was idliing less than 400 rpms to 350. So, I put it back to 650. Turned off car, then attached the connectors. Fired back up and the OD light blinked multiple times. Shut the engine off...fired it back up, no codes. The idle is still sort of the same. Going to replace the spark plugs when the coil comes in. I will repost when something else happens. Thanks for everything gents.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Step 1)
Replace the coil.

Step 2)
Repost results after you've driven with step 1 completed.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM

exactly my thoughts.

i cover anything electrical with a gerocery bag (relay box, fuse box,drop resistor, any grouped plugs etc.) and also my CAI.

Being around compressed air helps too.
Originally Posted by asand1
I bet you got water in the drop resistor. Also check connections for the TCM.

Do you mean it was surging? Hesitating would be a reluctance to go.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This morning, after the adjustment, my max did not want to go too fast. In fact, it may be in safe mode. I think the coil is done. I do have one coming in though, to replace. I will post again once that is done. I am going to replace my plugs too. See if that clears up anything.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldmax95
This morning, after the adjustment, my max did not want to go too fast. In fact, it may be in safe mode. I think the coil is done. I do have one coming in though, to replace. I will post again once that is done. I am going to replace my plugs too. See if that clears up anything.
I think youll find that your problem lies with tyhe transmission and not the ignition. Nothing youve posted sounds like coil symptoms. disconnect oll your harness plugs and blow out, or spray with WD40. This is cheap and will rule out water intrusion.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
I think youll find that your problem lies with tyhe transmission and not the ignition. Nothing youve posted sounds like coil symptoms. disconnect oll your harness plugs and blow out, or spray with WD40. This is cheap and will rule out water intrusion.
I was thinking the same thing, that water got in the breather hose or something. But idk
Old 06-19-2012, 06:01 PM

I am going to bet here that you have water in your A/T solenoid harness. Disconnect and use TB cleaner or canned air to get all water out of there. Your O/D light was blinking to know that the tranny stored a code which I know for sure is for the TPS sensor since you adjusted the idle screw.

Once you have the water out of your A/T harness, test drive again and report back here after you replaced coil as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am now suspecting the Speed Sensor. i am going to buy that and see if that is the issue. This is day two with no difference in the way the car is reacting. This morning, I pulled out and accelerated, it was sloooowww. Then it just took its time to get up to speed. When I get to 55-60-65, it smooths out. Of course, now the car is up to speed. It actually rides better since I adjusted the IACV-top screw. By now, the water should have evaporated. It's very warm down here in Alabama. But I will try these techniques that you all share. Oh, my Max turned 430K!!! I will take a pic and show you what a near 500K Max looks like.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 AM

I am now suspecting the Speed Sensor. i am going to buy that and see if that is the issue. This is day two with no difference in the way the car is reacting.
Before you spend money you should disconnect all the connectors and blow them out.
By now, the water should have evaporated. It's very warm down here in Alabama.
If it is humid there (and I always here that it is) the water wont evaporate quickly, it will sit in the "water tight" connectors and eventuall corrode.
I dont understand your reluctance to do the cheap and easy stuff first, especially when its probably all thats wrong.