4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front right splash guard / fender liner keeps coming off (second one)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Front right splash guard / fender liner keeps coming off (second one)

I ordered a right front inner fender liner from an after market online store, and subsequently picked up some clips / screws from the dealer since it didn't come with any. Within 10 days of having it installed when my mechanic did a bunch of other work, it came off in the same spot again, and rubs when I brake, or when I am at highway speeds. The original one had started rubbing and come apart in that spot a month prior, when I was solo on a Saturday morning going to pick up my son, and without the family in the car for a change, decided to hit 90/100 for a bit on I-95. That's when the damn rubbing problems started - must have broken the clips or something at high speeds.

It now looks crappier than the missing fog light alone, plus the squashed front license plate holder (due to 10+ years of parallel parking in Philly). I guess having spent the dollars getting the car working well mechanically, I now care more about the appearance, so I want these cosmetic issues fixed. Could be more than just cosmetic if the water getting in there is the cause of some minor annoying electrical issues that have also cropped up like the rear power locks not working, clock light only working sometimes, etc.

I think my problem is two-fold.

Here's a link to the parts I'm talking about ->

I tried getting a different fender liner and the metal piece from a junk yard Maxima this weekend and two screws on the bottom were totally rusted on, so I'll have to try one more time with a can of PB blaster, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to order all the parts again.

Will the after market fender liner hold if I get the metal support piece, or should I just buck-up for the OEM parts?

I'm thinking of ordering the fog assembly, fender liner, and a new license plate holder, the last of which serves no purpose in PA but is on my car because the original owner was in MD.

Last edited by mikeg75; 06-19-2012 at 01:04 PM.
      Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM

from what it looks like the metal peice should aid to hold the fender liner in place if its the front that comes down. you said it rubs when you brake so im assuming its the top or maybe the back thats coming down. and since you need a right foglight and i need a left foglight we should just split a set lol
      Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBLACKmax
      from what it looks like the metal peice should aid to hold the fender liner in place if its the front that comes down. you said it rubs when you brake so im assuming its the top or maybe the back thats coming down. and since you need a right foglight and i need a left foglight we should just split a set lol
      I can't tell if there's any part other than the very front part, which is not staying in place. So I think the rubbing is coming from the front part not being held in place. When I brake, I think the front dives a little, and it's just enough to hit the part that isn't attached. I don't know for sure though.

Also, I didn't realize fogs sold in pairs for a discount? I think they're a rip-off altogether, which is why I didn't get the missing one replaced for 7 or more years it's been missing.
      Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM
      KH3 by popular demand

I think if you look up under the front the front of the liner sits on the bottom of the bumper, there is a recessed line that goes around the front of the liner. If it is not tucked up then at highway speeds it can catch air and go down then it will rub. I had that happen to me going about 75 but my tire ended eating it up, when I replaced it I made sure it had all the screws and bolts it it and if a bolt comes missing I would just put a wire tie through the hole attached to the liner so the air won't push it down.

Last edited by maxgtr2000; 06-19-2012 at 02:10 PM.
      Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 PM

i have a 97, but is it different from 95 to 97?

it doesnt even matter on mine if that stay bracket is there or not, because the fender liner still has clips 63120EA and 63120EB, which are held by screws going through the fender. unless yours is missing screws and/or blantently not tucked into the bumper

Last edited by GGENIUS; 06-19-2012 at 03:46 PM.
      Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
      i have a 97, but is it different from 95 to 97?

it doesnt even matter on mine if that stay bracket is there or not, because the fender liner still has clips 63120EA and 63120EB, which are held by screws going through the fender. unless yours is missing screws and/or blantently not tucked into the bumper
      Thank all of you guys who have responded so far. Really appreciate it!

I know I have one of the two (the one on the outside - 63120EA), but I think on the inside one, maybe the bolt head broke off, because I don't remember the liner being clipped there (subject to my checking again when I get home).

Also, the after market fender liner when tucked in, seems a bit shorter than the OEM one I was looking at at the junk yard, so my replacement may be more prone to coming out when missing the same screw/clip as my original one).

maxgtr2000 - Did you have the metal stay bracket when yours came off doing 75?

My after market liner doesn't seem to have the recessed line that you mentioned. Plus, it is thinner plastic, which I could tell as soon as I opened the box. I had a feeling it wasn't worth getting the cheapo part to save $35 or so, vs. getting the real deal from the dealer when I was over there.
      Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM

zip ties lol
      Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 PM

I really need to get back my front Nissan logo. My car looks naked without it. I've noticed quite a few max with this issue, are people stealing them or just falling off. On topic of appearance.
      Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM
      KH3 by popular demand

I got one off of ebay and it looked like a factory replacement. It went on no problems and looks just like the stock one. Yes the metal straps are on, it does help keep the front of the liner from doing down somewhat.
      Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
      zip ties lol
      A single zip tie is now holding it in place, but I still had part of the liner rub on an hour-long trip on a super hot day. I wonder if the cheapness of the thin plastic causes it to lose shape or strength a little, on really hot days.

In any event, I've ordered the metal fender stay and a fog lamp, to keep this thing in place better. What a PITA and not cheap either.