4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some electrical help - stat

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some electrical help - stat

Alright...here's the story. 2 weeks ago today my car came up with a lame starter. I have changed the starter before and knew I could do it again no problem. So I ran down to advance auto parts (thought they had the warranty on my old one, but I bought it somewhere else) and picked up a starter. Get home hook the thing up and the next day, it catches on fire as I am going down the road. Well my car wasn't badly burned, but there was some very minimal melting on 2 wires.

One of them doesn't seem like a difficult splice at all, but one of them does after trying it. The wire that burnt has a grey covering and it's not one wire but actually 3 (black, white, and black w/ white stripe I think). Well inside the covering that black and white stripe wire actually becomes just sliver strand wire. How am I supposed to connect it? Just twist it together and cover with electrical tape?

Really would like to get this repair completed by tomorrow and car on the road again, any help would be appreciated. If you know of anyone who may be able to give some good advice on this, please ask them to chime in and help out.

Thanks,
Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Thats an easy 5 min repair as long as you have the right tools. First option is to solder the according wires together then cover that soldered area with shrink wrap then for good measure throw electrical tape over it also. Thats the right way to do it, however if you want it fixed even quicker, then yes twisting them together and taping them is a sorta temporary job until you can solidify the connection. Make sure to put electrical tape ANYWHERE there could be possible wire showing (such as where the rubber insulant was burned)
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Worked perfectly. Thanks for the encouragement.