4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

just some tire info for those interested...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 09:33 AM

just some tire info for those interested...

I just recently got some "new shoes" for my car. I have a 97 SE, with the stock SE 5 spoke rims, and not lowered. I used to be running on Sumitomo HTR4's(H rated) in 225/50/16 and the tire was just "OK". They were quite noisy, ride was rather harsh, wet/dry traction was decent, but they did not last very long. Also snow traction, which some of us have to worry about, was a joke. For my next set of tires I decided to go back to the stock size 215/55/16 and I got the Pirelli P6000 sport veloce(also H rated). So far I am very pleased with my choice. My nice comfortable ride has returned, and at highway speeds these tires are very quiet. Many road imperfections are just eaten up. Dry traction and wet tracion are both very good. Steering response, which was previously sloppy, has also greatly improved. As far as snow traction, well i guess i'll find out soon as I live in NY, and snow is in the forecast over the next 24hrs! Just thought I would share my experience, peace.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:06 PM

Re: just some tire info for those interested...

Originally posted by Dayle97SE
I just recently got some "new shoes" for my car. I have a 97 SE, with the stock SE 5 spoke rims, and not lowered. I used to be running on Sumitomo HTR4's(H rated) in 225/50/16 and the tire was just "OK". They were quite noisy, ride was rather harsh, wet/dry traction was decent, but they did not last very long. Also snow traction, which some of us have to worry about, was a joke. For my next set of tires I decided to go back to the stock size 215/55/16 and I got the Pirelli P6000 sport veloce(also H rated). So far I am very pleased with my choice. My nice comfortable ride has returned, and at highway speeds these tires are very quiet. Many road imperfections are just eaten up. Dry traction and wet tracion are both very good. Steering response, which was previously sloppy, has also greatly improved. As far as snow traction, well i guess i'll find out soon as I live in NY, and snow is in the forecast over the next 24hrs! Just thought I would share my experience, peace.
what about compared to the stock tires. Goodyear RS-A 215-55-16? cause i need new set of tires and i live in chicago(weathers gets really biach sometime). and how much was yours?

thanks,
Tae
Old 01-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I went with BF Goodrich 225/16-16 and have been very pleased. Good traction/wear and comfortable ride. They also fill the wheel well a little more than the 215.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:39 PM

Re: just some tire info for those interested...

Actually most high performance tires get noisier as they wear. So, I would not be surprised if 10k miles later, the ride gets a bit rougher and noisier.
Old 01-06-2002, 04:38 PM

Tae,
when i bought my max it still had the stock goodyear
RS-A's, and they were horrible, i really couldn't drive my car when it was rainy out, major hydroplaning. As far as i'm concerned they don't even compare to my new pirelli's. I got them at a local shop near me and paid $425 altogether. This included mounting, balancing, blah, blah, front end alignment, and tax.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:23 PM

Tae,
when i bought my max it still had the stock goodyear
RS-A's, and they were horrible, i really couldn't drive my car when it was rainy out, major hydroplaning. As far as i'm concerned they don't even compare to my new pirelli's. I got them at a local shop near me and paid $425 altogether. This included mounting, balancing, blah, blah, front end alignment, and tax.
which pirellis? all-season tires? and where you located at? i live in chicago and the winters horrible. have you driven it in the snow and hows the ride? smoothness?

thanks,
Tae