4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Leaking gear oil, clutch toast, shifter is possessed, input shaft bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Leaking gear oil, clutch toast, shifter is possessed, input shaft bearing?

Last week I had changed my front DS strut only to find out that my DS axle ended up being shot. After having to piece together one out of a local junkyard since our local useless auto parts dealer didnt carry ones for the maxima equipped with the lsd transmission and I couldnt wait for one to be ordered shipped ect. Anyway everything was changed and put back together and about 150mi was put on the car. Went out one morning and while pulling out in first gear it made this "whirring" sound until I let the clutch completely out. Went around the block, parked, and when I came back out I couldnt get the car to go left of the 3-4 slot, I was only able to get it into 3-4-5-R. After 10 minutes of sitting there like what the **** it finally went over and I havent had that issue again. Now I knew my clutch was on its way out and my throwout was toast (previous owner had 20's on the car and liked to smoke them off thinking it was cool) so I ordered myself a new OEM 5th gen clutch and sent the flywheel out to be resurfaced. I had to take a small roadtrip with the car (about 125mi round trip) and in the middle of my trip while stopping to take a **** I noticed this small puddle of black something or another under the car, stuck my finger in it and it was cold, didnt smell like anything, and wasnt oily like you would think. Doesnt gear oil smell like ****? Im gonna guess an input shaft bearing is where its leaking from but unsure as the tranny is only half way out at the moment. Now, every gear engages as it should, and it drives fine with all it's power.. No popouts or anything funny. I get no vibration while driving only while pulling out in 1st gear under load or facing uphill sometimes none at all. How long can I safely drive with this transmission? I found a rebuild non lsd unit for $225 but I would have to drive 2hrs for it, get new axles, and god only knows what else. Just looking for a little insight as to what I should expect. New to the forum and the maxima platform so take it a little easy on me.. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Fillabong570
. Now I knew my clutch was on its way out and my throwout was toast (previous owner had 20's on the car and liked to smoke them off thinking it was cool)
Knowing this you still purchased the car, so you should already know your answer.