4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 maxima hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 PM

95 maxima hesitation

Got a hesitation issue after a pull off from a stop it does it on and off, but now its doing it more often. Only codes were knock sensor and 02 sensor. It does it whether its cold or hot. Now check engine light has gone off but it still does it. I tried adjusting the throttle cable but still same problem. It starts right up and idles like it should. How do i check the coils? I also havent changed spark plugs and i pulled the rear coils out to see if they had oil on them because the rear vcg is leaking, but all three were dry.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Got almost the same issue like yours, replaced MAF sensor and knock sensor, replaced front left O2 sensor, still hesitation pulling from stop, CEL remains off. Hot engine is worse.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 PM

try cheking the egr system may be getting stuck
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 PM

to the op.If it hesitates right after you start it from cold it probably isn't your o2 sensor.They come in to play when the car reaches normal operating temp.You may have a bad injector or a coil acting up.With intermittent coil problems it's very hard to tell.The resistance check doesn't always work.This is a tough one.You could try buying 1 used coil and swap one by one and see if it fixes it although the front and rear coils are different or maybe do a resistance check on your injectors.

Last edited by mmgio; 07-23-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mmgio
to the op.If it hesitates right after you start it from cold it probably isn't your o2 sensor.They come in to play when the car reaches normal operating temp.You may have a bad injector or a coil acting up.With intermittent coil problems it's very hard to tell.The resistance check doesn't always work.This is a tough one.You could try buying 1 used coil and swap one by one and see if it fixes it although the front and rear coils are different or maybe do a resistance check on your injectors.
thanks man I bought new spark plugs today and installed them, and I noticed that one of the front bank coils had a peice of tie strap around it, Im thinking that it may be my problem coil. After spark plugs were installed i did washer pump, and tie rod end. kind still hesitates on and off not all the time, but shes got more get up and go now after the new spark plugs lol! Tightening up the throttle cable helps out alot too. I will grab a junkyard coil in the morning to see if that solves it.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM

Check the TSB. There was a problem with the diffeential shaft that caused this hesitation.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Check the TSB. There was a problem with the diffeential shaft that caused this hesitation.
Would that b the cv joint? Would. Nissan still honor or recommed a solution to fix it on a car this old?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Would that b the cv joint? Would. Nissan still honor or recommed a solution to fix it on a car this old?
They can do it but it wasn't a recall. Here is the link to the TSB I was referring to. See if it applies to you.

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB96-007.pdf
Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 AM

thanks man I bought new spark plugs today and installed them, and I noticed that one of the front bank coils had a peice of tie strap around it, Im thinking that it may be my problem coil. After spark plugs were installed i did washer pump, and tie rod end. kind still hesitates on and off not all the time, but shes got more get up and go now after the new spark plugs lol! Tightening up the throttle cable helps out alot too. I will grab a junkyard coil in the morning to see if that solves it.
your problem likely has nothing to do with your throttle cable, so definitely stop messing with that.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM

I dont kno sometimes it does it and sometimes it will speed up great. Its not a bad hesitation and it doesent affect high speed driving at all. I use mostly regular gas and cv axles appear to b bad. So i dont kno if that has anything to do with it. My check engine light just came on so im going to pull the codes and report back tomarro
Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM

Not trying to hijack this post, but i also have a hesitation problem and a stalling problem, its been going on for like a month now and I've tried a bunch of different things. The codes that came up were both o2 sensors, MAF sensor and knock sensor. Ive replaced both o2 sensors and swapped out the MAF sensor and neither of those stopped those codes from coming up. I replaced the fuel filter, ran fuel injector cleaner, started running 93 octane fuel, and the stalling still persists. The stalling and hesitation started a few weeks after i installed this crappy $30 ebay short ram intake which I'm speculating is the culprit. It has a crappy filter on it and it doesn't even fit well i have to bend it a certain way so it doesn't hit the battery. I ordered a Weapon-r secret weapon intake that should be here friday and I'm just hoping this will solve my issue. also it smells like fuel when it hesitates and when i give it gas its very slow to increase in RPM's. I don't understand why this stalling problem is occurring and its been bothering me badly. Im curious to hear what others have to say
Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 PM

I dont kno sometimes it does it and sometimes it will speed up great. Its not a bad hesitation and it doesent affect high speed driving at all. I use mostly regular gas and cv axles appear to b bad. So i dont kno if that has anything to do with it. My check engine light just came on so im going to pull the codes and report back tomarro
The bolded item is your culprit there. Scan for codes and see if you have P0325 stored. If so, you need to get a new knock sensor.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
The bolded item is your culprit there. Scan for codes and see if you have P0325 stored. If so, you need to get a new knock sensor.
The knock sensor can cause these symptoms? cause my knock sensor code keeps coming up when I personally reset the ECU, i just figured it was a ghost code cause the MAF, and both o2 sensor codes were setting off too but maybe your right
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM

Got a code 0304 for knock sensor, and 0707 for rear 02 sensor.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 PM

What happens when you are at a light and you are in drive with the A/C running? Any stumbling or missing?

Mine did that for 2 years before finally kicking a P0305 Missing 5th Cylinder Code today. I need a new coil pack at the rear of the engine closest to the driver's corner.

If you have these symptoms, could be the same. Mine always got worse when it was HOT and terrible with the A/C. When I accelerated, it wasn't as noticeable, but the car didn't pull like I remember.

I hope this helps!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 PM

a little dose of SeaFoam will clean the fuel path and injectors so you can atleast rule out that problem.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
What happens when you are at a light and you are in drive with the A/C running? Any stumbling or missing?

Mine did that for 2 years before finally kicking a P0305 Missing 5th Cylinder Code today. I need a new coil pack at the rear of the engine closest to the driver's corner.

If you have these symptoms, could be the same. Mine always got worse when it was HOT and terrible with the A/C. When I accelerated, it wasn't as noticeable, but the car didn't pull like I remember.

I hope this helps!

No my car doesnt have any issues with the ac running. It idles great and doesnt stumble. I notice it while trying to accelerate quickly it hesitates a little. It may b a coil but which one i dont kno? I may get sum oe from the jy and switch them out to see if it resolves the issue.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 PM

Got a code 0304 for knock sensor, and 0707 for rear 02 sensor.
the ks code may go away with a new sensor, but a new ks wouldn't hurt although neither are at the root of your problem. I can get you 6 decent albeit used coils for $100, you pick the shipping method and added cost.

Again, a tin of SeaFoam will last quite a while and does a bang up job cleaning with no residual issues (like burning out o2s). A couple ounces every 3 months or so.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
your problem likely has nothing to do with your throttle cable, so definitely stop messing with that.
My throttle cable had a 1 inch slack tightened it up this weekend and the car diff. Feels quicker. Better response when you hit the gas.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 PM

Before you start changing parts, clean the EGR tube and valves, check for any blockage in all the hoses, clean everything the best you can, and replaces hoses as required. It is maintenance, so even if that's not the source of the hessitation, it wouldn't hurt...On my case, I get rid of the hessitation on my 98 5spd SE.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Logan30
Before you start changing parts, clean the EGR tube and valves, check for any blockage in all the hoses, clean everything the best you can, and replaces hoses as required. It is maintenance, so even if that's not the source of the hessitation, it wouldn't hurt...On my case, I get rid of the hessitation on my 98 5spd SE.

Good luck!

Ok i will try that before i change the coils.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by rf97
My throttle cable had a 1 inch slack tightened it up this weekend and the car diff. Feels quicker. Better response when you hit the gas.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Found the source of my hesitation issue. Cylinder 5 had oil on the coil and the plug, so obviously my spark plug tube seals are leaking there as well as valve cover is. Leaking.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Found the source of my hesitation issue. Cylinder 5 had oil on the coil and the plug, so obviously my spark plug tube seals are leaking there as well as valve cover is. Leaking.
I've had a plug electrode covered in oil after a coil expired (#2), but to have oil seeping back up into the plug cavity itself is pretty weird. Where was the "oil on the coil" coming from?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rhonster
I've had a plug electrode covered in oil after a coil expired (#2), but to have oil seeping back up into the plug cavity itself is pretty weird. Where was the "oil on the coil" coming from?
The oil on my #5 coil was at the bottom of the boot. The lower part of the spark plug was soaked in oil, as well as the bottom end of my spark plug socket. I had no idea it was doing that. The car was running good with all that going on!! Im assuming the spark plug tube seal on that cylinder is bad. Looks like ill hav to remove the intake and replace the valve cover gasket and tube seals. I hope removing the intake on this car isnt as long as removing it on the 3rd gen vg engine.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by theWalkinator
Got almost the same issue like yours, replaced MAF sensor and knock sensor, replaced front left O2 sensor, still hesitation pulling from stop, CEL remains off. Hot engine is worse.
graff hip hop is right check the egr valve but before you go crazy plug your scanner check the codes. Also check the mass air flow sensor. if there is a check engine light check it see what codes you come up with then take it from there. first thing check the codes. i have the same issue with my 95 maxima one code wasthe mass air flow but there is also a intake air temperature sensor which can cause hesitation and your EGR valve as well.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by blackcloud80
graff hip hop is right check the egr valve but before you go crazy plug your scanner check the codes. Also check the mass air flow sensor. if there is a check engine light check it see what codes you come up with then take it from there. first thing check the codes. i have the same issue with my 95 maxima one code wasthe mass air flow but there is also a intake air temperature sensor which can cause hesitation and your EGR valve as well.
you are right, I got a code for the intake air temp sensor, anybody got an idea of how much one costs? I already ordered a new knock sensor. I will check the codes to see what else pops up.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM

oh yeah the intake air temperature sensor is $40 bucks at your local autozone its right on the intake box next to the mass air i believe.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 PM

definitely change or clean your egr valve as well could have carbon build up p0110 is the intake air temperature sensor code p1400 is the EGR code but on the scanner doesnt say egr looked it up in the haynes manual and thats the identification code.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:40 PM

you are right, I got a code for the intake air temp sensor, anybody got an idea of how much one costs? I already ordered a new knock sensor. I will check the codes to see what else pops up.
Did replacing the air temp sensor do the trick?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 PM

I think your problem is a failed coil. I use to have that problem until I found the bad coil and replaced it. Problem solved. U should try to pull your coils n cleaned them. Then check the ohms. The really off one should be the bad one. I don't think the air temp sensor would cause the problem. I have no air temp sensor hooked up and I have a check engine light on for it and my car runs like a champ still. But gl.

Last edited by chongher; 09-15-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 PM

had a problem with my egr valve today seems the tube going into the egr is seized they are not moving at all im thinking this could be the problem towards my hesitation issue. cleary this thing never been changed any how im a cut the tube then replace it with a new one less headaches
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM

As far as the air intake sensor have to get it from the dealer Nissan
Old 09-16-2012, 10:33 PM

replace the knock sensor sometime there a code but no CEL....check your TPS setting at idle and WOT the manual teel you the required setup....if this is off it will directly affect your throttle response.....Clear all your CEL's and pull all your coilpack and plugs clean and seal coilpack tips with dielectric grease....and reinstall
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by blackcloud80
had a problem with my egr valve today seems the tube going into the egr is seized they are not moving at all im thinking this could be the problem towards my hesitation issue. cleary this thing never been changed any how im a cut the tube then replace it with a new one less headaches
What exactly are the symptoms of this? btw isnt there a writeup on doing this?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM

well I got a new knock sensor, and a new iat sensor. the car drives a lot better, much better throttle response. but now car has a miss which may have to do with the hesitation issue. would pull the manifold off myself and change out the fuel injector but can't seem to get the screw to turn near the ps pressure hose. gonna take it to a mechanic.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Hi, I have that kind of problem those days but way WORST.

I can't it the pedal, maybe around 45% of the throtle, the engine hesitate. I cant start in 1st speed. The car react exactly like a brand new stander driver!!!

the car start shaking like crazy. It looks like it missing gas. Really dangerous since I cant do heavy acceleration on highway.

I changed fuel filter and clean the tb. Immediatly the problem was gone. A week after is back and worst...

My guess is the fuel system.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Well I think I found the source of my problem....

New injectors...

Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE

New injectors...

wow is that your fuel filter? I may need to change mine. I want the 300zx filter though. thank goodness only one of my injectors are bad!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE

New injectors...

wow. how long has it been since you changed the filter?

To anyone who knows: How good are the 300zx fuel filters and their longevity?

Last edited by Rob_0126; 09-21-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: clarified

Quick Reply: 95 maxima hesitation