4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how much noise increase with y-pipe and stillen catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:59 AM

how much noise increase with y-pipe and stillen catback?

Hey. I am looking to buy a y-pipe for my Maxima. Right now, I have a Stillen hi-flow intake and Stillen catback which means I don't have the resonator on the "B" pipe. My cat is still stock. I am looking at buying the Cattman Y-pipe. I've read some posts that noise levels increase quite a bit with a Y pipe and a more free-flowing exhaust. I know the Stillen is one of the more audible exhausts too. Right now, my exhaust produces a pleasant but noticeable deep sound when accelerating. A little louder would not bother me, but I don't want my car sounding like there's a big hole in my exhaust. Do any of you know how much louder the Cattman Y pipe and Stillen catback will be together? Thanks.

Aaron
Old 01-07-2002, 10:06 AM

Re: how much noise increase with y-pipe and stillen catback?

Originally posted by amb4081
Hey. I am looking to buy a y-pipe for my Maxima. Right now, I have a Stillen hi-flow intake and Stillen catback which means I don't have the resonator on the "B" pipe. My cat is still stock. I am looking at buying the Cattman Y-pipe. I've read some posts that noise levels increase quite a bit with a Y pipe and a more free-flowing exhaust. I know the Stillen is one of the more audible exhausts too. Right now, my exhaust produces a pleasant but noticeable deep sound when accelerating. A little louder would not bother me, but I don't want my car sounding like there's a big hole in my exhaust. Do any of you know how much louder the Cattman Y pipe and Stillen catback will be together? Thanks.

Aaron
Like you said the stillen one is known to be kinda loud. My favorite if you are looking for nice sound without it getting too loud is to go with the Apexi catback system. You get the cat back gains without all the noise.

SuDZ
Old 01-07-2002, 10:24 AM

Re: Re: how much noise increase with y-pipe and stillen catback?

Originally posted by SuDZ

Like you said the stillen one is known to be kinda loud. My favorite if you are looking for nice sound without it getting too loud is to go with the Apexi catback system. You get the cat back gains without all the noise.

SuDZ
The only problem is I already have the Stillen catback on my car. And I don't really want to take it off since I spend the money on it (around 500 for the entire stainless steel exhaust). If I could go back, I would have picked a different exhaust. Have you heard personally or known of others who have put the Cattman Y pipe on their Maxima with a Stillen catback?
Old 01-07-2002, 10:26 AM

ever hear a V8(mustang or camaro) without cats or with just a straight pipe?? well be prepared to sound lik eone of those guys if you go with a Y pipe on top of the Stealin exhaust!

I say go with a Cattman Y pipe, courtesy Bpipe and stock muffler.

my.o2
Old 01-07-2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by ny96max
ever hear a V8(mustang or camaro) without cats or with just a straight pipe?? well be prepared to sound lik eone of those guys if you go with a Y pipe on top of the Stealin exhaust!

my.o2
How much quieter would the exhaust be by just removing the Stillen B pipe and putting the stock resonator back on while leaving the Stillen muffler and a Cattman Y pipe?
Old 01-07-2002, 11:37 AM

dont bother with that-- take the noise like a man!!! - besides at regular highway RPM it really shouldnt bother you......but it will scare the **** outta the people around u -
Old 01-07-2002, 12:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

How much quieter would the exhaust be by just removing the Stillen B pipe and putting the stock resonator back on while leaving the Stillen muffler and a Cattman Y pipe?
Screw the muffler, not the B-pipe. There is far more power in the B-pipe than the muffler. I've got the Warpspeed Y-pipe, RT cat, and Stillen B-pipe and the sound is awesome. At idle and at all rpms, the sound is deep, but not very loud. Most importantly, there's no resonating at any rpms. I use to have a HKS muffler, but the resonating was horrible after putting on the Y-pipe. Okay, it wasn't horrible, but a nice sedan like the Maxima shouldn't sound like a riced-out Eclipse.

BTW, don't get a Stillen Y-pipe. Get a Warpspeed Y-pipe. I've had both. The Stillen uses thinner gauge metal and a shorter flex section that will break over time (mine did) and the thinner metal makes for louder noise in the cabin. My Stillen Y-pipe's flex section had been leaking since March. I had dynoed 175fwhp and 194 fwtq and ran 14.7s with the bad y-pipe. Now I've got the Warpspeed non-mandrel bent pipe and my car feels even stronger plus it's much quieter. I suggest getting the Warpspeed non-mandrel bent Y-pipe (less than $200) and selling that Stillen muffler. I bet you'll break even.

With the B-pipe, I dropped .15 seconds in et and gained 1mph on average. Without the performance HKS muffler, I lost and gained nothing (ie performance mufflers on the Maxima don't do anything).

Dave
Old 01-07-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: how much noise increase with y-pipe and stillen catback?

The only problem is I already have the Stillen catback on my car. And I don't really want to take it off since I spend the money on it (around 500 for the entire stainless steel exhaust). If I could go back, I would have picked a different exhaust. Have you heard personally or known of others who have put the Cattman Y pipe on their Maxima with a Stillen catback?
Sorry. I thought you were asking about getting this combo not that you already had it.

SuDZ
Old 01-07-2002, 12:53 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by ny96max

my.o2
Sounds like my setup

It'll be the same. I'll bet my Max on this one.
Replacing the stock rear section with the Stillen or Courtesy b-pipe creates minimal increase in noise. You will hardly notice the noise.
The Stillen muffler is making all the rear-end noise. If you want to make your car quieter, consider swapping your Stillen muffler out for OEM muffler and you'll be amazed.