4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Koolest Alarm Led!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 12:14 PM

Koolest Alarm Led!!!!

I was cruising along queens blvd ( in new york) aka blvd of death, and i passed by a few of those auto performance stores. I saw this guy that had his alarm LED integrated into his right altezza tail light ......HOW DID HE DO THAT!!!!! - i want it so bad - it looks so kool!
Old 01-07-2002, 12:28 PM

cummon guys - any ideas???
Old 01-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Geez ... only 15 minutes passed ... you're an impatient one, aren't you?

Probably took the altezza apart, slide the LED inside, taped it up or something and then resealed the altezzas, then ran the wires up to the alarm ... simple.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:45 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

It should be an easy job... drill out the hole and get LED that feeds in from the back... Why anyone would do it... hmmm...
Old 01-07-2002, 03:14 PM

thats a 30min job if you know how to install
Old 01-07-2002, 03:27 PM

They sell kits...it includes the led and a rubber washer. You drill a hole, drop in the led and plug the hole. Eventually the rubber will wear away and you will have foggy lights...then blown lights...

Erik
Old 01-07-2002, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by tifosiv122
They sell kits...it includes the led and a rubber washer. You drill a hole, drop in the led and plug the hole. Eventually the rubber will wear away and you will have foggy lights...then blown lights...

Erik
No doubt about that....
Old 01-07-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by ljl10

No doubt about that....
If he's really hot to do this, he could always seal the backside of the LED with clear silicone caulk. That would be an easy, leak-free, zero-maintenance install.

Don't crush the man's dream! Help him SEE the LIGHT!

Old 01-07-2002, 04:27 PM

LED installations are pretty easy to do. the hard part is running the wires and finding a good mounting spot for it(providing that you can get to it). I have a security laser led hidden inside my 3rd brake light which shines the light to anywhere I want.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:36 PM

Thanks alot for the responses guys. Now here is my second question, after i install the LED and seal it, where do i run the power too?? - where is the factory alarm in the 95's located??? I am clueless
Old 01-07-2002, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
Thanks alot for the responses guys. Now here is my second question, after i install the LED and seal it, where do i run the power too?? - where is the factory alarm in the 95's located??? I am clueless
Probably the best way to go would be to run your elec. lead forward through the trunk over the wheelwell and down to the kickpanel. Run it along underneath the kickpanel(s) first rear, then front, until you have to turn the wire up to get behind the dash. Personally, I would tap into the positive (+) lead for the blinking security light on the dash panel (left of steering column).

I'm no install guru, so if anyone has any better ideas, shout 'em out!

Old 01-07-2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

If he's really hot to do this, he could always seal the backside of the LED with clear silicone caulk. That would be an easy, leak-free, zero-maintenance install.

Don't crush the man's dream! Help him SEE the LIGHT!

True. I did that with my clear corners...sealed it up real good. By the way, I notice you live in the SB area. So do I. By chance do you know a good Nissan mechanic?
Old 01-07-2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by ljl10

True. I did that with my clear corners...sealed it up real good. By the way, I notice you live in the SB area. So do I. By chance do you know a good Nissan mechanic?
This is O.T: sorry folks. . .

The only one I trust is the D.I.Y. mechanic I see in the mirror every morning. I can give you a few names of places to avoid like the plague in SB offline, if you like though.

I became a DIY out of frustration and economic necessity after several bad experiences with local shops, including the *cough* Big One. (SBN)

I just crossed 85k mi & am on schedule, maintainence-wise, but if I end up needing anything major, I'll be in the same boat as you. All I seem to have found in the local auto-repair industry is plenty of incompetent people looking for a payout. One day, I just said ENOUGH!! -& bought a Haynes manual, learned how to pull codes from & reset my ECU and I never looked back. -Solved a couple problems myself that shops were unable to diagnose, but were more than happy to overbill me to "try" and chase down.

Fortunately, the Maxima is relatively light on maintenance* when compared to a good many other cars, but when it does falter, I've learned that self-reliance is key.

On that note, if YOU find a good technician, be sure & let ME know.

Best,
-K-

*If properly cared for/driven.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:55 PM

Re: Koolest Alarm Led!!!!

I was cruising along queens blvd ( in new york) aka blvd of death, and i passed by a few of those auto performance stores. I saw this guy that had his alarm LED integrated into his right altezza tail light ......HOW DID HE DO THAT!!!!! - i want it so bad - it looks so kool!
Sorry, OT (kinda), but still related to a security LED.

I saw this ricer Prelude, looked nice actually.

I remember the guy had an indiglo flashing security light (square in shape, about 2"x1") stuck against his window. Was basically an outline of the car and the word security, don't remember if it just blinked blue, or if it had red too.

I'd like to get one, but I'm thinking some jerk's going to smash my window to get it.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: Re: Koolest Alarm Led!!!!

Varad makes one that is a laser beam, about 2 inches long and it flashes "Security" in red anywhere...except you need to find a place to mount it so it will reflect off a surface that can be seen from the outside...I bought one and sold it when I couldn't figure out where I wanted to mount it.

BTW...this is my 1000 post!

Erik

Originally posted by pocketrocket

Sorry, OT (kinda), but still related to a security LED.

I saw this ricer Prelude, looked nice actually.

I remember the guy had an indiglo flashing security light (square in shape, about 2"x1") stuck against his window. Was basically an outline of the car and the word security, don't remember if it just blinked blue, or if it had red too.

I'd like to get one, but I'm thinking some jerk's going to smash my window to get it.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Koolest Alarm Led!!!!

Originally posted by tifosiv122
Varad makes one that is a laser beam, about 2 inches long and it flashes "Security" in red anywhere...except you need to find a place to mount it so it will reflect off a surface that can be seen from the outside...I bought one and sold it when I couldn't figure out where I wanted to mount it.

BTW...this is my 1000 post!

Erik

I have one of those. When I got it, I immediatly took that thing apart(removing the casing to take out the circuit board and diode) because it was so damn big. I custom mounted it inside my 3rd brake light housing and drilling a little hole for the laser to shine out. I have it aimed to shine directly behing the passenger head rest where the "security" is shown. installation was pretty easy but it took about 5 hours to complete because it was very hard to find a spot to mount the diode inside the case and to top it off I had to make shure the laser would shine on the area where I wanted it. Ill get a pic of the install.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Koolest Alarm Led!!!!

I think you can easily wire up any LED to the existing security light, just tap into each wire and then wire up the LED anywhere you like. I am thinking about doing 2 of these, one in front of the car in the headlight or foglight and then one in the taillight..

any problems in this idea Tony?
Old 01-08-2002, 12:24 AM

Sounds like a great idea too me - the only problem is that it will actually attract theives more - hahhaa - but i'm still gonna do it anyways
Old 01-08-2002, 12:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well i think thieves are quite attracted to my car as it is.. wouldnt make too much difference with a red light.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:32 AM

Sounds like a great idea too me - the only problem is that it will actually attract theives more - hahhaa - but i'm still gonna do it anyways
Thats true. I see ppl sometimes that know theres an alarm in a car and try to mess with it to just hear the warning chirps so maybe if you have alot of scanner lights, people will purposly play with it.