4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Alignment Issue

My front right tire wears unevenly. After I had a new reman'd rack put in, the alignment will not get right.

After finding out later that the guy who put the rack in, did a crummy job, a good mechanic put new bushings in, and also did some kind of work so the rack wouldn't slide back and forth when turning.

I have a sneaky suspicion the car was in a fender bender but wasn't reported on carfax when I bought it.

The frame is not bent, it goes straight down the road. It looks like maybe it was a rear to front bump, from the looks of the corners of the bumpers and paint, but it's hardly noticeable.

I did have the lower ball joints replace when the rack was put in. idk if I had the others done(cant remember).

Any ideas how to fix this issue, before I buy a new set of tires?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 PM

If you did not have any tire wearing problem before the steering rack was replaced, then the steering rack install is the problem. I don't know exactly how someone could screw it up, but I suppose anything is possible.

Maybe you should take the car to a frame shop and talk to them. Jusy because the car goes in a straight line is not a guarantee that there is no frame damage.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 PM

You have to understand that once a tire starts to wear a certain way it will always wear that way. The excess tire wear more than likely came from the issues you stated. I, on a normal day do about 6-7 alignments. I understand fully your frustration with this. A weeks worth of toe in or out is a tires worst nightmare. Ask for a printout next time you have it done. And see where your at. Ask the tech about it, and if he knows what hes doing he can explain it to you. I once had a guy who was about 380lbs had a pull problem with his car, I had to set it with him in the car to get it right, Point being the smallest thing can through it off. These cars always for some reason have rear tow issues but generally drive just fine. Get one done by a rep shop and youll be good to go. Also check all suspension components to make sure there tight, and air the tires to proper psi.. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The rack only holds toe. If its off, both sides show the wear and the steering may not be centered. If camber isn't the same or close left to right, you'll get a slight pull and wear on that side. If caster is off, you'll get a pull.

Post the alignment specs so we can see how it's tracking.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The rack only holds toe. If its off, both sides show the wear and the steering may not be centered. If camber isn't the same or close left to right, you'll get a slight pull and wear on that side. If caster is off, you'll get a pull.

Post the alignment specs so we can see how it's tracking.
Ill see if I can find the last alignment printout. It was about a year ago.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_0126
Ill see if I can find the last alignment printout. It was about a year ago.
when ever you have front end or steering work done you need to get an alignment. even if you dont you should get one every few months due to the bumps and holes in the road. i get one every two months cause i live in chicago area. but i bought lifetime alignment 5 years ago so it doesnt cost me a dime to get one done now