4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

keyless entry install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 AM

keyless entry install

So in searching I have found that most every question about this ends with, it's prewired just get a remote. My question is if nothing is prewired what is needed for the OEM keyless entry to work? This would be going into another Nissan with no keyless entry to start with and I would like the windows up and down to work. I am looking for the components I would need to aquire, how things are wired etc. I'm sure a FSM wiring diagram would be quite helpful if anyone knows where I can DL that too. I wish it was as simple as get a remote but have no problem wiring it all up either.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt
So in searching I have found that most every question about this ends with, it's prewired just get a remote. My question is if nothing is prewired what is needed for the OEM keyless entry to work? This would be going into another Nissan with no keyless entry to start with and I would like the windows up and down to work. I am looking for the components I would need to aquire, how things are wired etc. I'm sure a FSM wiring diagram would be quite helpful if anyone knows where I can DL that too. I wish it was as simple as get a remote but have no problem wiring it all up either.
For FSM: www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/

OK I did this in my car.

First, if it's a 99 or 2000 (maybe 98 or 2001), the windows up/down thing DOES NOT WORK. It's not part of the programming for that year.

OK now that that's out of the way, here's waht you'll need:

*OEM (or equivalent) key fob remote (Make sure the FCC ID matches what the receiver module will have).

*BCM that is keyless compatible (I got mine from Maxima_Joe here on the org).

*Receiver module (Goes in trunk, right side of trunk wall on my 99)

*antenna

The BCM (at least on my 99) is located in the center waterfall, behind and under the radio, same elevation as the shifter. Replace with keyless compatible BCM.

To see if your BCM is keyless compatible, try to enter the key fob programming mode.

*enter car
*LOCK doors with power lock switch
*enter and remove key at least 6 times in 8 seconds (not too fast, not too slow...rythm)
if hazards flash twice, you're in program mode. If NOT, try again.

If your hazards don't flash no matter how you try it, your BCM is not keyless compatible.

With proper BCM, do above procedures. After hazards flash, turn car to ON position (DO NOT START IT).
Press and hold the LOCK button on the Fob. hazards should flash.
Press and hold the LOCK button on any other fobs you want to program, wait for hazards to flash again.
Remove key from ignition
Get out and test fobs.

I don't know if you NEED this, but I bought one. It's a relay that goes in the trunk. I bought mine at Oreilly for like 10 bucks iirc, it's called anti-theft relay, trunk relay, alarm relay...

When you get this working, you will then have the factory alarm. What this means (and I know from personal experience with this...) is that when you LOCK the doors, you can NOT use the key to open the trunk anymore. Well, you can, but the factory alarm will then go off. I didn't know I even *had* a factory alarm until this.

^^ The above is specific to my 99 SE, your max may be slightly different. ^^
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ess-entry.html

^^ my thread on teh subject, should help with other questionf you may have as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM

That should get me off to a good start thanks. I will have nothing but the factory alarm to start with since I will be installing into a Z. I will need to pick up reciever and pigtails, BCM and pigtails, FOB to match reciever and as for the antenna is that a seperate part, if so where is that located, or does it wire into the radio antenna?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 AM

Not susre how it works in the Z, tbh...

May want to crate an account over at my350z.com and search around there?

But in my case, the antenna for the fob plugs into one of the two connectors for the receiver module.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Well going into a 300 but no info on it. I figure as long as I have all the key parts, wiring diagram and know what relays and or fuses then I shoukd be able to make it work. My biggest worry would be the windows, if there's any special components in the doors to make that work.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
eed:
When you get this working, you will then have the factory alarm. What this means (and I know from personal experience with this...) is that when you LOCK the doors, you can NOT use the key to open the trunk anymore. Well, you can, but the factory alarm will then go off. I didn't know I even *had* a factory alarm until this.
^^ The above is specific to my 99 SE, your max may be slightly different. ^^
Factory alarm is there regardless if you have keyless entry. You probably just never armed it. Also there's a switch on the trunk lock that will disarm the system when using your key.

It would be near impossible to add the Maxima keyless system to another car and your better off going aftermarket.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
Factory alarm is there regardless if you have keyless entry. You probably just never armed it. Also there's a switch on the trunk lock that will disarm the system when using your key.

It would be near impossible to add the Maxima keyless system to another car and your better off going aftermarket.
I'd done that before (doors locked but open trunk). I never had that relay in the trunk before, though...I think that relay is what triggers the alarm when trunk opened with key and doors locked...no?

There's a witch to turn it off? ooh I wanna find it.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Why near impossible? I get not easy, but nothing is plug and play on these cars. As long as key parts are there, it's wired properly, the right fuses and relays in place where is the problem? In theory the system should actuate outside of the car entirely with the right power source. So going into a smaller car I should have extra wiring and the locks nissan has used the same locking mechanism for years so that shouldn't be an issue. What about it would make it so hard to work in something else?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
I'd done that before (doors locked but open trunk). I never had that relay in the trunk before, though...I think that relay is what triggers the alarm when trunk opened with key and doors locked...no?

There's a witch to turn it off? ooh I wanna find it.
That relay is for the lights to flash. The switch is on the actual lock. Works exactly like the front doors do.

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt
Why near impossible? I get not easy, but nothing is plug and play on these cars. As long as key parts are there, it's wired properly, the right fuses and relays in place where is the problem? In theory the system should actuate outside of the car entirely with the right power source. So going into a smaller car I should have extra wiring and the locks nissan has used the same locking mechanism for years so that shouldn't be an issue. What about it would make it so hard to work in something else?
You would have to change so many components.
The biggest obstacle would be wiring all 4 window switches.

The system isn't that great anyway and you could buy an aftermarket system for less money.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 PM

I spent many hours pulling my hair out for factory keyless entry. From what I gather, some people have good luck with it, others don't...didn't work for me. My rear windshield even has the keyless antenna grid which some maximas don't have. I have the hood switch, trunk popper, multi relay, keyless box by the radio antenna, and the bcm, and I've tried to different working fobs. I get as far as the hazards flashing, then nothing... I just gave up, and will be going aftermarket.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by kasso28
I spent many hours pulling my hair out for factory keyless entry. From what I gather, some people have good luck with it, others don't...didn't work for me. My rear windshield even has the keyless antenna grid which some maximas don't have. I have the hood switch, trunk popper, multi relay, keyless box by the radio antenna, and the bcm, and I've tried to different working fobs. I get as far as the hazards flashing, then nothing... I just gave up, and will be going aftermarket.
Well in your case it would be an easy fix. Off the top of my head the only thing I can think it would be is the keyless box by the antenna is not getting power. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. That member just ended up using power from the power antenna.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:59 AM

Biggest reason I want it is for the windows and a general lock/unlock. I work somewhere that if it starts to rain I can't go out and roll up my windows, and on a hot day it'd be great to roll my windows down on a hot day before I leave. I could even see my car from my desk so the keyless option would be ideal. Car only has 2 windows so don't need to wire 4 of them. The factory alarm is there, just honk and flash, and no keyless system of any kind. So I would be adding from scratch. So my question I guess is beyond BCM, reciever, antenna, fob and wiring it correctly what else is needed? And then what wiring to the windows are required?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:28 AM

You are asking us to tell you the inner working details of the Z. Most of us probably don't know. This is the Maxima forum. I think Amerikaner83 gave you the best advice when he suggested that you join the 350Z forum.

I am a skeptic on this project. If the Z didn't have the window roll down feature from the factory, that's the end of the story. I doubt that the Z would run with a Maxima BCM in it.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
4th Gen Parts King

Factory keyless only rolls the windows down, It doesn't roll them up.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You are asking us to tell you the inner working details of the Z. Most of us probably don't know. This is the Maxima forum. I think Amerikaner83 gave you the best advice when he suggested that you join the 350Z forum.

I am a skeptic on this project. If the Z didn't have the window roll down feature from the factory, that's the end of the story. I doubt that the Z would run with a Maxima BCM in it.
Who is asking the inner workings of a Z? Every bit I have asked has been about the maxima, I know the inner workings of my z what I don't know are what is included in the maxima system. As for a 350Z forum what possible good would that do for me I have a 300ZX, which I stated. So since you say I'm asking info I am not, and telling me to go to a forum for a car I do not own nor am I trying to get any info about I'm skeptical you read more than the title.

What I don't get is why people seem to think the maxima is some magical thing that is the only car the system could work in. It's an electrical system, as long as the correct parts and current being put to those parts it could be in a chevy and would work. The only part that would give me any concern would be if the motor in the door is part of the system, if it is making that work would be a little more of a pain. If it's just a seperate solenoid or switch in the door that wires into the motor than no big deal.

So just to be clear, not looking for can't be done, don't bother, etc. Those only limit people. If that's all that can be shared there would be no advancement. if you want to say it'll be difficult, sure, I get that going into this, but as the old saying goes, anything is possible with enough money, time and knowledge. Well that's what I am here for, the knowledge. If people would like to help great, if not, is your post count really that important?

Maximajoe, I get it's not easy but even in stating that you are bing helpful so thanks. It'd been years since I had seen anyone using the window down feature, didn't remember it was only down. I would still like to attempt this even so, I can get all the parts if I know what they all are, and using the FSM can wire as needed. So I guess the key to it all starts with the window down feature, is that part of the motor or a seperate thing entirely. Does anyone know that?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Window down feature I want to say is part of the window switch.

I'll try to help the best I can.
I just need to know what your trying to achieve. All you want is keyless entry with window down feature and lock/unlock? You don't care about the alarm or power trunk release?
Does your car have power windows and locks?

Is this car a daily driver? If not the biggest thing your going to have to worry about with all this is the battery draining. The factory alarm system goes into sleep mode which won't happen unless you have every little component wired up.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 PM

Exactly, the keyless entry and window down, no need for the alarm. The car it's going into has power windows and locks. I wouldn't mind the trunk release but not needed. Car is not a daily driver, though would rather not have a constant major drain if possible. if it's in the switches that's fine I can fab a plate to fit the Z and the maxima switches, remove the back seat ones and cover them over.