4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trouble with quick struts for 97 Infiniti I30

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM

Trouble with quick struts for 97 Infiniti I30

My Infiniti I30 needs new struts, and I just wanted stock replacement (no lowering) so I thought the best/cheapest/quickest way to go was a complete quickstrut.
I saw some cheap at Rockauto made by LeCree so I purchased them (before I read the reviews on how badly they performed). Anyway, none of this matters because when I took them out of the box, I could see that the strut mount was different (looked smaller) and the offset between the strut mount screws wouldn't allow them to mount to the body of the car. So, I quickly returned to Rockauto for a full refund as I thought I dodged a bullet.

Next, I tried quickstruts from another company called FCS Auto. I did a little more research beforehand, and there weren't any complaints for this brand, so I attempted to install, and the same thing happened as did with the LeCree. The offset on the strut mount screws wouldn't allow them to be mounted to the car.

What gives? Has anyone else had strut mount issues with complete quickstruts? I then broke out the tape measure, and after further examination, it looks as if the mounts are not actually smaller, but turned to the incorrect mounting position in relation to the rest of the strut.
In order for the mount to fit, I would need to compress the spring, loosen the top nut, and re-position the strut mount on top of the strut.
Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is this just a total fluke?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 AM

What you are experiencing happens. The struts only mount up one way. My dad had a great saying "engineered by Geniuses' to be assembled by something less than Geniuses' ".

And you are correct you will have to compress the spring and re-position the mounting plate prior to installation. So much for a plug and play with the struts that you have.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 AM
4th Gen Parts King

The strut mount sits on the strut bearing. How else do you think the assembly turns? So in other words you can turn the strut mount by hand so that the bolts line up.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Lol

No need to compress anything.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM

You are talking about the 3 studs on top of the quick strut assembly? This:

It only fits one way and the "F", in the picture on the right side of the bottom stud, must be facing toward the front. Another thing to keep in mind this:

has a notch on it that must be facing the tire to be seated properly or it will make a popping sound as you turn. It will pop once as it settles into place but that should be it
Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
The strut mount sits on the strut bearing. ..... turn the strut mount by hand so that the bolts line up.

The first set of struts were probably OK as well. If you can't turn the mount by hand, put a screwdriver against the threaded studs and turn the mount until it lines up correctly.

Nothing needs to be compressed, hance the name "Quick Struts"
Unbolt, remove, install, bolt up and drive away.
You should have the front end aligned when your all done.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM

its funny i had a problem with one of mine, i figured out that i could turn the plate and i installed it but the funny part is upon inspection of the old mount i saw that who ever install the last set had the same problem and cut the stud and welded it back in a new spot to line up!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM

I am 6' and 215 pounds (315lb bench press in my prime), and could not turn the the mount by hand. I'll try to turn with a screwdriver / breaker bar and let you guys know. Thanks for the insight, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM

It should rotate freely. I do not know what you are doing or what you are having trouble with. A picture would help
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM

It's the picture above (3 studs on top of the quick strut assembly). The way the quick strut arrived, it could not be mounted as the top mounting bolts were not lined up properly with the rest of the strut assembly (there's approximately 4.75" between 2 of the studs, and 4.5" between the other side) . People are saying that I should be able to rotate the top mount by hand freely, but I don't think so. I tried to turn by hand briefly, and it wouldn't budge. Also, the current strut that that I took out doesn't roatate freely by hand either. Like I said, I'll go home tonight and try with a breaker bar, but I'm pretty sure that I'll need to compress the spring due to the coil pressure on the entire unit.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
My Infiniti I30 needs new struts, and I just wanted stock replacement (no lowering) so I thought the best/cheapest/quickest way to go was a complete quickstrut.
I saw some cheap at Rockauto made by LeCree so I purchased them (before I read the reviews on how badly they performed). Anyway, none of this matters because when I took them out of the box, I could see that the strut mount was different (looked smaller) and the offset between the strut mount screws wouldn't allow them to mount to the body of the car. So, I quickly returned to Rockauto for a full refund as I thought I dodged a bullet.

Next, I tried quickstruts from another company called FCS Auto. I did a little more research beforehand, and there weren't any complaints for this brand, so I attempted to install, and the same thing happened as did with the LeCree. The offset on the strut mount screws wouldn't allow them to be mounted to the car.

What gives? Has anyone else had strut mount issues with complete quickstruts? I then broke out the tape measure, and after further examination, it looks as if the mounts are not actually smaller, but turned to the incorrect mounting position in relation to the rest of the strut.
In order for the mount to fit, I would need to compress the spring, loosen the top nut, and re-position the strut mount on top of the strut.
Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is this just a total fluke?
I installed the Raybestos quick struts. Direct fit, no turning of mount needed. The rears were different, they did not line up. Returned them to rock auto.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Thanks again all who replied! I feel like such a dumbass! I was able to turn the mount with the aid of a large screwdriver. I will install the struts later this week.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Well at least you can finish the job now.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are these quick struts worth the price? Or should I just buy a spring compressor and standard struts? I don't imagine the springs go bad, but maybe they should be changed anyway after 15years/205k miles?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

If you are staying stock they are just fine. Yes chances are you will need to replace mounts, bearings, and isolators anyhow. This just makes the job quick and easy.

If you are paying some one to do the work they will tell you its cheaper to install quick struts. IMO shops are getting lazy.

If you can do the work its really up to you. If you do it yourself you could buy better parts to complete the job.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by shawnmos
Are these quick struts worth the price? Or should I just buy a spring compressor and standard struts? I don't imagine the springs go bad, but maybe they should be changed anyway after 15years/205k miles?
It's way cheaper than trying to buy individual pieces and make your own assembly. But building your own, you know what quality of every piece is.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trans4ma
It's way cheaper than trying to buy individual pieces and make your own assembly. But building your own, you know what quality of every piece is.
If you build your own from parts, how do you know the quality of each part? If you buy a complete kit, which brand uses good parts? Does FCS uses their own parts?
I didn't see a kit for the 93 Maxima GXE nor the 2003 Toyota Sienna xLe.
Any one that makes good to excellent complete strut assemblies for them?
Who takes/recycles the old assembly?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM

I finally installed all of the FCS quick struts into my '97 I30, and assembly was pretty quick and painless besides me stripping the retaining nut on the bottom of the left rear strut. I got enough bite on the nut to tighten, but not as securely as I would have liked. What a stupid design to house the nut the way they did. The stripping ocurred because the retaining nut spun against the housing and chewed it up during tightening.

Anyway, I like the feel of the new struts, definitely more firm on the road. No more Buick like feel on the highway. No more noises when going over rough pavement or reversing out of my driveway; still trying to find the cause of my clunk when pulling out of a turn (turing right or left from stop sign), or accelerating hard though. Hopefully these struts last a while. For the record, both front struts arrived off-center, I had to rotate the top mount with the help of a long screwdriver into the proper position before installing.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I finally installed all of the FCS quick struts into my '97 I30, and assembly was pretty quick and painless besides me stripping the retaining nut on the bottom of the left rear strut. I got enough bite on the nut to tighten, but not as securely as I would have liked. What a stupid design to house the nut the way they did. The stripping ocurred because the retaining nut spun against the housing and chewed it up during tightening.

Same thing happened to me and I stripped it bad while I was removing the shocks... I even kind of twisted the metal parts that house the nut. I replaced the nut but it now rotates freely without the housing touching it... not 2 sure how I will get to tight it up safely
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm thinking about getting these FCS quick struts for my 97 max. How are they a couple months in? Haven't gone bad or anything yet? The price is so right...yet that's the thing that worries me.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 PM

Just a small word of advice. The others in this thread had it right, there is a different distance between each of the strut bolts coming out of the mount; so you must turn the mount in order to get it in the correct spot (do not turn it too much). I shoved a screwdriver in it to turn it and it worked pretty well.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM

still trying to find the cause of my clunk when pulling out of a turn (turing right or left from stop sign), or accelerating hard though.
me too man. If u figure it out let me know
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Used the Monroe Quick Struts this summer, and one caveat. One of the two had nuts that didn't freely spin onto the strut mounts, so when using a ratchet to turn them, the nuts stripped the bolts. We were almost going to compress the spring and use the old strut mount, but that would have defeated the entire purpose of the quick strut, had to cut the tops off of the bolts so the old nuts could spin onto them....so just don't force anything I guess is my advice...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by AoD11
Just a small word of advice. The others in this thread had it right, there is a different distance between each of the strut bolts coming out of the mount; so you must turn the mount in order to get it in the correct spot (do not turn it too much). I shoved a screwdriver in it to turn it and it worked pretty well.
Other than a bit of adjusting how's the quality? I know they don't cost much to begin with but I just want to save myself future headaches if i end up having to replace them every couple months.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Slapper
Other than a bit of adjusting how's the quality? I know they don't cost much to begin with but I just want to save myself future headaches if i end up having to replace them every couple months.
Mine was installed about a year ago and they're holding up quite well. Perhaps either the springs or the shock might be a bit softer thank originals. I remember when I had kybs on I could barely press down on the car, but with Monroe quick struck it goes down easy. The car doesn't bounce when driving on the highway though.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM

I bought the Monroe quick strut set about a year and half ago. The top hats up front had to be rotated to line up with the holes on the car. Other than that, no issues.