4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Passenger Window and Door Lock same time

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Passenger Window and Door Lock same time

both quit working at the same time for some reason.
just the one door.
if i try to lock or unlock with key fob or with driver side locks it locks all the doors but that one.
where to beging.
was gonna check the fuses but i can't figure out where it is or which one it is.
if that doesnt work where do i look next.
thanks for any help
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

can anyone help me out.
yes i did a search and didnt find anyone with this unique problem

i looked at the fms for el but it really doesnt make any sense to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM

First of all, there is no fuse to cause this. Any fuses involved supply power to all the doors. You have 2 possibilities - the passenger door window switch and wiring to the door.

I would suspect the switch before the wiring. But because the windows and door locks use this IVMS data buss system, you need another switch to test out the the switch that is in the door. If you had a wiring problem, it would most likely be in the area between the door and the body where the wire flexes.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

by switch do you mean the actual switch on the arm rest. or a switch inside the door?
if a- wouldnt the drivers side door switch be able to opperate the window and locks

if b - is there a different name of it. i looked on autozone.com and only saw the switch that was on the arm rest that rolls up and down the windows
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Yes, I am refering to the switch in the armrest that you use to roll the window up and down. It does more and is much more complex than you think. There is a microprocessor in it so it can communicate with the SECU via digital data communications.

When you try to operate the window via the keychain remote or the driver's door window switch, they send a signal to the SECU which then sends the command to the specific door window switch and the window switch then does the work.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok thanks.
so is this something i gotta spend a ton of money replacing or can it be fixed?
or could be just a loose wire?
or no idea?
thanks for your help
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Do you have a service manual? In the FSM it will tell you how to take the door panel off. Its about 5 screws along the bottom of the panel and 1 inside the the recessed grip covered up by a circular plastic piece(look inside and you will see it, it just pops up). Then you pop off the trim around the actual door handle CAREFULLY. Then the panel will just pull up. The trunk button connector will need to be unplugged as well as the footwell light and the main window/door lock panel before it can be taken completely off. Then it is free and you can investigate further by inspecting the harness/wires and if they all look good then it is most likely the switch that has malfunctioned. A 30min job your first time and about 10mins thereafter. Careful putting the screws back in because if you over-tighten them they will go through the panel and wont hold it down anymore
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Is this for the front or rear?
If for the front is the door light working? Have you checked to make sure the switch didn't come unplugged?

If it's the rear for testing purposes you can swap the rear window switches. Doing that will control the door the switch is from even though it's plugged into the opposite side. This will tell you if it's the actual switch or the wiring, My vote goes for the switch.

Last edited by Maxima_Joe; 10-04-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Most of us feel that the switch is your problem. A new switch is kinda pricey. Since the only realistic way to test a switch is to try another switch, either pm Maxima Joe (he has lots of stuff) of visit a junk yard. If we are wrong about the switch, you won't be out very much money.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for all the replies
it is for the front passenger side.
anything diff for front passenger side removal other than what was posted above? anything i need to watch for?
(i am guessing the trunk lock button no longer applies)

i bought one for cheap off ebay that says it is guaranteed to work. we shall see.
prob get it tuesday and let you know what happens.
thanks again
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 PM

The procedure for the 2 door trim panels are pretty much the same, one less wire on the passenger door. Regarding the plastic trim around the door handle, pry it up from the end that is towards the front of the car. The rear end of it is more of a hook than a snap.

BUT...

You don't need to take the trim panel off to replace the window switch. It pops out of the door panel. And like the door handle trim, you pop it out by prying up on the end towards the front of the car.