4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bought Amsoil ATF today, need advice on changing fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 AM

Bought Amsoil ATF today, need advice on changing fluid.

I have my transmission and motor out of the car now, and pulled the tranny and torque converter together. I did have the tranny serviced about 1 year ago, and the shop did drop the pan and did some cleaning.

Would you recommend (since it's out), to pull the pan once more and go through it again? If so, anything I should be looking out for in particular? Is the screen merely cleaned, or is it replaced? Will I need a gasket or do I use a form-a-gasket sealant?

My plan is to drain & prime the torque converter with Amsoil (50% filled, or just under?), then mate it to engine and drop everything in. I assume dropping the pan while it's out and servicing it should be okay, and once it's in the car and the driveshafts are installed, I can simply top it off w/ Amsoil prior to start up?

The Amsoil dealer also recommended running their cleaner, so I bought that too. I think he recommended using half the bottle in the tranny, the other half in the engine (bought Amsoil motor oil too).

Lastly (sorry for long-windedness!), I am going to install a Hayden med. size cooler. The tranny hasn't slipped, but it has about 190k so hoping to get as much life out of it as possible. Any helpful insights appreciated - thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

There's a sticky in the fluids and lubrication section that details a DIY fluid change over. It's done with the engine and trans up and running.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by badmaxx
I have my transmission and motor out of the car now, and pulled the tranny and torque converter together. I did have the tranny serviced about 1 year ago, and the shop did drop the pan and did some cleaning.

Would you recommend (since it's out), to pull the pan once more and go through it again?
If they cleaned the magnets and screen just 1 year ago then I'd wait a few more years to drop it again.

Originally Posted by badmaxx
If so, anything I should be looking out for in particular? Is the screen merely cleaned, or is it replaced? Will I need a gasket or do I use a form-a-gasket sealant?
You only need to clean that lifetime screen with brake cleaner. If you do drop the pan again then you'll need to replace the gasket. I got the felpro gasket delivered from rockauto.com for less than $8.

If you want to do a thorough non-pressurized flush then read the sticky that NJMAX suggested

how-flush-automatic-transmission-fluid-what-atf-use-how-check-level

Another tip is the AT pan bolts only require 7-9 lbs. torque. Too much torque will bend the pan.

Last edited by jholley; 10-04-2012 at 06:28 AM.