4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what's the knock sensor for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 PM

my friend just bought a ecu scanner last week, and he tried on my 97 SE.
there was a code come up, but no check engine light on the dash. my car runs fine also.
the code is for the knock sensor..

is it hard to change it?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 PM

Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM

guess your car dont run fine huh?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

The knock sensor detects pre-ignition, aka detonation or 'knock'. When the ecu detects knock it will retard the timing, basically it's going to reduce power to protect the engine. It's a common failure item, beyond reduced power and slightly reduced MPG, it doesn't affect anything. It's located under the lower intake manifold, changing it is more hassle than anything. 1/4" sockets and extensions, a couple swivels, no problem.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM

actually the Maxi runs fine.
I was thinking it's a hard to change item also, since my friend told me not to worry as long as the car runs ok.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Sure, it runs "fine", but you are wasting fuel and missing some HP. $20.00 on eBay, and 20 minutes to install.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:06 PM

reset cel/mil and if it doesn't come back-don't worry about it; if it comes back-replace the knock sensor. fyi, i'm done to my last dozen genuine oem nissan knock sensor shipped usps small flat rate box for $35.00. here's a link to the classified ad.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...0-shipped.html
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM

that was my point, that while you "think" it runs fine, its really missing a little something. and youll realize that once you change your KS.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:11 PM
JvG

I bought my 96 maxima, and drove it for five years. It "ran fine", had good power. One day I saw the knock sensor in e-bay for 18 bucks. I figured it had been 60,000 miles since I bought the car, so I might as well do it when I changed the plugs. I changed the plugs, thn cleaned the K&N filter. Some improvement, not much.

The next weekend or two, I worked on getting the knock sensor out of there. Not an easy job. I finally got the right tools, and learned how to get my fingers in there. Ouch!

The old knock sensor was cracked. After I replaced the knock sensor with the cheap e-bay one, I road tested the car on the freeway. The car has WAY more power, and responds much faster when I hit the gas. The difference is like night and day. I use premium gas, so that the knock sensor does not have to retard the timing.

Do yourself a favor, replace the knock sensor.

So many of us want more power, this is probably one of the least expensive ways to get it. Yes, it is a pain in the ***, (and fingers). Your car will have all the power that Nissan intended when they built the car.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by surban1
reset cel/mil and if it doesn't come back-don't worry about it; if it comes back-replace the knock sensor. fyi, i'm done to my last dozen genuine oem nissan knock sensor shipped usps small flat rate box for $35.00. here's a link to the classified ad.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...0-shipped.html
I just priced one at O'reilly's Auto Parts for $119!!

I'll definitely check this out!

Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
I bought my 96 maxima, and drove it for five years. It "ran fine", had good power. One day I saw the knock sensor in e-bay for 18 bucks. I figured it had been 60,000 miles since I bought the car, so I might as well do it when I changed the plugs. I changed the plugs, thn cleaned the K&N filter. Some improvement, not much.

The next weekend or two, I worked on getting the knock sensor out of there. Not an easy job. I finally got the right tools, and learned how to get my fingers in there. Ouch!

The old knock sensor was cracked. After I replaced the knock sensor with the cheap e-bay one, I road tested the car on the freeway. The car has WAY more power, and responds much faster when I hit the gas. The difference is like night and day. I use premium gas, so that the knock sensor does not have to retard the timing.

Do yourself a favor, replace the knock sensor.

So many of us want more power, this is probably one of the least expensive ways to get it. Yes, it is a pain in the ***, (and fingers). Your car will have all the power that Nissan intended when they built the car.
Your saying even if you aren't throwing a code, you should replace it?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spencer5556
Your saying even if you aren't throwing a code, you should replace it?
he probably, much like the OP, assumed that no CEL meant no problemo.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM

So I have no check engine light. and I have checked for codes, I don't have any. Should I replace my KS?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spencer5556
So I have no check engine light. and I have checked for codes, I don't have any. Should I replace my KS?
theres probably someone around wholl say they replaced theirs without a code and without any cracks and regained lost power. so i dunno. although its always handy to have a spare knock sensor on deck incase yours goes.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:51 PM

I dont believe a faulty knock sensor will throw a cel... I never knew mine was bad until my 02 sensor died and then my light came on. Had it scanned and showed the knock sensor was bad also. Was not hard to install definitely worth doing.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Zach-R
I dont believe a faulty knock sensor will throw a cel... I never knew mine was bad until my 02 sensor died and then my light came on. Had it scanned and showed the knock sensor was bad also. Was not hard to install definitely worth doing.
I scanned my ecu and it came up clean. But I'll replace it anyways, maybe ill see some benefit
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
JvG

In my case, I did not have a CEL about the knock sensor. When I did get a CEL, it was related to a bad speedometer. O'Reillys also told me that I had a bad knock sensor. I did not want to pay 120 dollars for one, so I looked on line.

My knock sensor was definitly cracked. There is no way to know unless you get it out of the rat hole it lives in. Once it is out of there, just put in an inexpensive new one. This is not a fun job.....
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
In my case, I did not have a CEL about the knock sensor. When I did get a CEL, it was related to a bad speedometer. O'Reillys also told me that I had a bad knock sensor. I did not want to pay 120 dollars for one, so I looked on line.

My knock sensor was definitly cracked. There is no way to know unless you get it out of the rat hole it lives in. Once it is out of there, just put in an inexpensive new one. This is not a fun job.....
the job of changing the ks was a biatch, so you put in a cheap one?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 PM

I never threw a code for the KS but when I replaced it it had bulges in either side like it got too hot or there was something inside trying to get out..... lol but it made a big enough difference for me to be able to tell whilst driving, therefore it is worth it in my book.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by JvG

You don't get a CEL for KS, I was saying I don't even have a code when I scan for them.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 AM

i replaced mine not too long ago with an ebay one i got for $7. i bought 2 lol check engine light never came back on after i erased it and car has a bit more power
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM

My 97 Maxima got a knock sensor ECU code about 3 months ago just before my inspection. I reset the ECU and cleared all of the codes. It passed the state inspection easily.

Now when I put load on the engine I can hear it pinging. I really need to replace that knock sensor. My MPG's are around 18mpg with city/highway combined (1997 Maxima SE Automatic, premium fuel, 203,000miles). Hopefully my MPG's will go back up once I replace the knock sensor. I used to get 24mpg in the city, now I get 17-18mpg in the city. It started dropping after they introduced the E90 fuel.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM
JvG

My Maxima did not ping at all. I feed it premium gas. As I understand it, the ECU retards timing if it detects ping, like you would get with a good knock sensor, and possibly when regular unleaded is used. It advances the timing if the knock sensor is good.

I may be incorrect with my assumptions. I just reported my experience.

To the person who questioned the logic of installing a cheap knock sensor when the installation job is difficult and painful..... Your logic is very good.

I installed the cheap sensor as an experement. If it made a difference, great. The installation of the next one would go much faster since I learned certain tricks and the use of certain tools.

The guy here who offers Nissan brand knock sensors would be the best and cheapest permanent fix.

My cheap-*** knock sensor is still good after six months and 8,000 miles.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 AM

mine is still supposedly good too, after atleast a year. no codes.