4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

3.5 swap timing problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 PM

3.5 swap timing problems

When doing my 3.5 swap, I got a little carried away, and began taking timing components off and I then later realized I forgot to turn the motor over to tdc before stripping the 3.5 timing. I cannot figure out how to get the crank to tdc now. I tried to put my 3.0 timing components on and turning it over but it's just not working. My crank is off about a half inch counterclockwise..
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 PM

Huh? Not sure i understand the problem. Turn the crank pulley until the timing mark lines up as per the fsm. You can take out the plug on cylinder 1 and stick a straw or something in there to visually see tdc if u want to. After you do that then you can put the timing chains and sprockets back on.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
Huh? Not sure i understand the problem. Turn the crank pulley until the timing mark lines up as per the fsm. You can take out the plug on cylinder 1 and stick a straw or something in there to visually see tdc if u want to. After you do that then you can put the timing chains and sprockets back on.
im not sure this would work..do to his crank might be in tdc but his cams and valves might be in the wrong cycle like the rear head could be in exhaust mode then the front head be in intake mode..which will result in piston threw valves since its an interferance motor learned the hard way on a klze i use to have in my old pgt but i know this method works on distributaor motors if the number 1 pistons up and the rotoary buttons on the number one plug its in time but i really doubt this would work since its coil packed and no distribrator so idk might wanna ask some orgers whos has the 3.5 swap with some questions if u can catch them online
Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by maxima2fst4u
im not sure this would work..do to his crank might be in tdc but his cams and valves might be in the wrong cycle like the rear head could be in exhaust mode then the front head be in intake mode..which will result in piston threw valves since its an interferance motor learned the hard way on a klze i use to have in my old pgt but i know this method works on distributaor motors if the number 1 pistons up and the rotoary buttons on the number one plug its in time but i really doubt this would work since its coil packed and no distribrator so idk might wanna ask some orgers whos has the 3.5 swap with some questions if u can catch them online
Exactly, the interference restricts me from getting my crank to the timing mark, & does the pulley have to be on? I thought if you lined the crank sprocket up with line above it tdc? I have already put the cams to tdc by hand, but the interference never changed, and everytime I put the components back on, it just puts tension in weird spots on the chain. Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 AM

if your having problems keeing it lined up when u put your chain on try to take it forward or back a few spots the crank that is so u can have a lil extra move when the chain is tugging it some idk if this helps any but worked when i done my maxima when the water pump failed on me..im pretty sure its tdc but i marked mine so i wouldnt get confused any..and ur problem happens people forget its normal i know its fraustrating as hell belive me but dont go by what im saying that it might be tdc hopefully someone else can comment aswell and give there advice and then go from there cause i wouldnt want u to put it all back together and her a CRUNCH then its money down the drain!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Remove the cams so all the valves are closed. Set crank at TDC , then instal cam journal caps after indexing.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Remove the cams so all the valves are closed. Set crank at TDC , then instal cam journal caps after indexing.
That sounds like a good idea! Thank you, I'll give a shot tomorrow before I head to work!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
I took the cams out, there is still interference in the same spot. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Are the plugs still in it? Are you sure its not just compression?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
Are the plugs still in it? Are you sure its not just compression?
No, the plugs are out. &Im positive, I also had my neighbor come over, we both feel resistance. Unless I should put my whole body into it. (Which I'd rather not try!)
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 PM

is the camshaft sensor rubbing the timing gears? Mine would catch leaving me to believe it was a valve hitting the piston when the sensor was basically catching on the timing nub on the gear. just a thought.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM

Cant be that cuz theres no timing covers on it it right now (hes messing with timing components).

Op, maybe something is bent and thats why you have the engine now :/ Assuming you bought it from someone.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Yeah, everything is stripped, but I do have the 3.0 rear timing cover already on. When I bought the motor, I had check the timing, it was all tight, and looked like it were in good shape. But the one thing i didnt do was turn it over. I just really hope there is nothing wrong internally.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds like you might have to pull the heads and so a visual inspection of the components. It really shouldn't be that hard to turn over the crank with cams removed and plugs removed.