4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No crank, no click, after running out of gas... how do you jump the relay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM

No crank, no click, after running out of gas... how do you jump the relay?

I lent my car to someone who was going to put gas in it but it ran out before they made it to the station... he said he cranked it a couple times when it stalled and then nothing... no crank, no click, no nothing when you turn the key... I do not see a "crank" fuse or starter relay where should I start, and is there a way of jumping the relay so I can get it home before it is towed away?

btw I need an answer asap if you can help

Last edited by carcollector; 11-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Was the starter ok before then

Sent from the batcave
Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM

so with gas in it, it does nothing? Could be a lot of things including a bad battery, bad battery cable or terminal not making a good connection, a bad ignition switch, an open neutral safety switch, or a bad starter. The diagnosing is up to you but it is impossible to say from the information given.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM

the car was fine before it was cranked for a longer than normal time trying to restart when it ran out of gas. nothing happens when you turn the key except dash lights. I am suspecting a fuse or relay problem. he said it cranked fine a couple time and then just nothing. he might have been cranking the crap out of it i dont know, but he did know it cranked fine a couple times and then nothing. battery is new, has good charge, I installed extra grounds everywhere when I did the head gaskets a month ago... I am pretty sure it is either a fuse, fusible link, or relay issue but I do not know the maxima's good enough to know where I should start... really just looking for a way to jump the relay to get it home and deal with it since the starter is buried under things that need to be hooked up to run if it does crank... and it is on the side of the road and not in my driveway. I actually have a good starter in the garage from a parts car, but I do not want to replace a starter on the side of the road and end up with the same issue.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM

So you charged the battery AFTER he killed it tryin to start a car with no fuel?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM

If its a manual trans have some friends help push start it. Start it rolling in 3rd gear and dump the clutch.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 PM

To replace the starter, assuming you have an aftermarket intake, really only takes about an hour. If you are sure the battery is good then I would bet it it your ignition switch after your friend likely cranked and cranked and cranked to no avail. Get it towed to your spot before you get a ticket and start there. Just to be sure not calling you an idiot, it has gas in it now and you have tried jump starting it?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:36 PM

yes and i rolled up the windows when i was done messing with it, it is automatic btw. i have it parked in a better spot now but will deal with it first thing tomorrow. can i take out the ignition switch easy? and how would i jump the relay if the switch is bad (what pin(s) where from where? )?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM

I am wondering about the ignition switch being the problem. If you take the cover off that is around the steering column, the ignition switch is very accessible. It's not that hard to do. Try turning it with a screwdriver, many times excess play develops and the key cannot turn it far enough. Here is a video on how to change the ignition switch.

Otherwise, the best place to jump the starter is to get to the starter solenoid wire at the starter. You will have to remove the air cleaner and MAF probably, but it will be easier than trying to talk you through other ways.

And before you do any of this stuff, have you tried putting the transmission in neutral and tried starting the car?

Last edited by DennisMik; 11-20-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: add video link
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM

Thats what I am thinking. Ignition switch or the neutral safety switch like you alluded too. If they are still OEM then they are probably to the end of their life anyways
Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Thats what I am thinking. Ignition switch or the neutral safety switch like you alluded too. If they are still OEM then they are probably to the end of their life anyways
if its NSS then he should be able to pop it into neutral and start it i believe.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM

Apply 12V to pin 7 of the inhibitor relay socket. With the ignition on it should start.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM

thank you for your advice and interest, I am going to try and get it home before noon. If i have to pay to get it towed there will be no turkey on my table tommorrow. thanx guys

I tried starting it in nuetral already
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 AM

If you are in a bind I can send you a used ignition switch via mail but it surely wont be there tomorrow. Let me know
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM

Man I just went through the whole no crank condition last week. There are three igintion relays (for an an AT anyway), one in the fuse box by the steering column, and two under the hood one by the battery and one by the passenger wheel well. You just have to start eliminating things via trouble shooting. One thing I wish I would have done early on in my trouble shooting sequence was tap the starter with a hammer on the case. Then try and start it. This eneded up being my issue. But battery condition (load test), battery voltage, voltage drops and iggy switch are easy to get to and check. Next is the trigger wire at the starter along with the inhibitor relay. Download the FSM from clubnico.com and get familar with your VOM. For some tests you will need a helper to turn the iggy switch assuming you prove that to be be good.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM

I got it home by putting 12v to the trigger wire off the starter ( I disconnected the clip and put power to the starter side). I tried jumping inhibitor relay pin #7 and nothing, removed ign switch and nothing, so I ran a wire like I said to the trigger wire and it started. I was using a guys car so I went to get him so I could drive mine home and then the trick didnt work until I tapped the starter. when I turn the key there is clicking under the dash so I guess I can eliminate the ign switch (?) I haver another starter, should I pop it in or was tapping the starter just a symptom of me jumping the trigger wire? what would You do? the starter has turned over 10x since I started it with NO issues except you cant use the key
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Sounds like starter or solenoid.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:53 AM

hmmm .I just reconnected the trigger wire, wiggled the start relay on the pass side before I did, and it starts normal now (???????) not complaining but a little worried it will happen again at the worst possible time... should I just swap out the starter or should I just roll on and figure one of the relays stuck instead due to excessive cranking when it ran out of gas?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Keep a tire iron handy to smack the starter and pick up a spare relay. I suspect you will be pulling the starter soon though.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 PM

yes I will keep wire handy too.... that was weird