4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 Cassette-Player to CD Player (non-bose) upgrade Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1999 Cassette-Player to CD Player (non-bose) upgrade Questions...

Hey all,

I wasn't sure whether to put this in 4th Gen section or the Audio Section, because I have a very specific 4th gen audio wiring question. I figured this section sees a lot more traffic so I would put it here.

My wonderful girlfriend drives a 1999 Maxima with 93K on it. Her car only has the cassette player; she has an adapter so she can play CD's and ipods through it (a cassette adapter); however it's annoying. She mostly listens to CD's and she has a discman (haha!) on her passenger seat to play them with. This looks crummy and uses up her 12V Power port (at least she doesn't run it on batteries!)

Anyway, I'm looking into replacing her single-din cassette player:

With the Double-Din Non-Bose Cassette and CD Player:

I've been searching the forum a lot, and I haven't found this specific swap. Lots about upgrading Head Units and things, but nothing about this specific change.

Now, looking at pictures of the backs of them, they look like the radio and 2 black connectors are identical; as is the antenna port; but it has a strange round connector on the cassette deck that is a white rectangular one on the CD Player:

CD Player:

Can anyone tell me if these will be compatible? Or does something need to plug in to that last slot? I don't know what it's used for...

I found a nice guide on removing the radio, that doesn't seem too hard. Looks like I'll need a screwdriver. She will lose the little pocket under her single-din, but she doesn't really use it. Just this one connector has me scratching my head. One auction I found for one calls it the "Aux port"...

Thanks in advance everyone!

-Mike

edit: Oh, and I should throw in, she's looked extensively at aftermarket HU's to put in but doesn't want something that looks aftermarket. I agree, most (well, all) aftermarket head units are hideous. She also doesn't want it to stand out and attract crime; lots of cars get broken into in her area; so I'm looking to stay OEM.

Last edited by mikemanray; 11-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM

It should be a direct swap. You will lose the cubbyhole below the cassette deck, but necessary brackets are already there securing the cubbyhole in place.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM

It should be a direct swap. You will lose the cubbyhole below the cassette deck, but necessary brackets are already there securing the cubbyhole in place. I believe the auxiliary port is for a disc changer.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM

I was considering getting a used factory replacement and decided to go aftermarket. Bought a Dual 8150 from Crutchfield for $60.oo and very glad with my decission. Kind of funny as I bought a HU w/o a cd player to replace the OEM that had a cd player that was not working. But the Bluetooth, SD card, USB and sound is everything that my factory lacked plus it sounds good with factory Bose speakers. I have over 500cds on a 32gig USB plus Pandora through my Iphone = allot of music!

HU have come a longway in last 10 years or so for less than a $100.oo you can seriously upgrade your sound and be ready for future upgrades.

Also these Clarion HU are notorious for CD player failing, so you might also want to consider that.

Last edited by Watchdogg; 11-28-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Watchdogg
I was considering getting a used factory replacement and decided to go aftermarket. Bought a Dual 8150 from Crutchfield for $60.oo and very glad with my decission. Kind of funny as I bought a HU w/o a cd player to replace the OEM that had a cd player that was not working. But the Bluetooth, SD card, USB and sound is everything that my factory lacked plus it sounds good with factory Bose speakers. I have over 500cds on a 32gig USB plus Pandora through my Iphone = allot of music!

HU have come a longway in last 10 years or so for less than a $100.oo you can seriously upgrade your sound and be ready for future upgrades.

Also these Clarion HU are notorious for CD player failing, so you might also want to consider that.
Thanks Watchdog,

I would have gone aftermarket; it'd be nice to be able to connect ipods through an AUX Port, but I know she really doesn't want the additional attention and fear of her car being broken in to, or the extra hassle of having to remove the face plate every day (which she would do compulsively, then have an extra thing to carry around in her purse). So I'm defitely sticking OEM.

I got it! I'll be trying to install it next week; I found a good guide for removing the dash, shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks everyone.

-Mike
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by mikemanray
Thanks Watchdog,

I would have gone aftermarket; it'd be nice to be able to connect ipods through an AUX Port, but I know she really doesn't want the additional attention and fear of her car being broken in to, or the extra hassle of having to remove the face plate every day (which she would do compulsively, then have an extra thing to carry around in her purse). So I'm defitely sticking OEM.

I got it! I'll be trying to install it next week; I found a good guide for removing the dash, shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks everyone.

-Mike
The install is not hard, just take your time and be gentle pulling shifter piece (lift up from back of shifter towards frontand lift up) and air vents (gently pry under vent as lifting up). Remove the 4 screws holding HU, drawer and HAVC and its out. Have a magnet on an extender incase you drop a screw. I had to drill two of the screws holding HU in bracket out because they were so tight and stripped despite having the exact fit philips heads. Otherwide easy install took me about 2 hours.

I was doing the cassette adapter for MP3 player route until recently, it works pretty good. I also wanted to stick with OEM for the looks, but It just didnt make sense to me to reinstall a 13 year old HU that lacked modern features when I could buy a better modern one for little as $5o.oo.

After getting used to having Blue Tooth , USB and AUX, I would never have another stereo without it. I also wanted to add a sub so that was another good reason to add a aftermarket HU. I have spent $250.00 on HU, amp and 10" sub, wiring and kept OEM Bose speaker for now and it sounds pretty good. It is diffinitely loud! Who ever designed the pass through in center rear seat must have been thinking about bass.

I think if you or your GF hear the difference you would agree. I have a aftermarket alarm, tinted windows and 0 deduct on my comprehensive, 2 german shepards and numerous firearms to help with theft

I did buy a OEM Bose HU with a working CD player for $30.00 so if I sell the car I can keep the stereo for another vehicle.

Enjoy your car, I love mine particularly since its paid for