4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch master and slave

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clutch master and slave

I've been a lurker since '08. I've solved every problem up until now with searching. Seems like you guys have pretty much everything documented well.

It's cold here in central IL. I left work after letting the car warm up for about 10 minutes. Made it about a block away and then problem. I was at a stop sign and let the clutch out. As soon as the clutch hit friction spot, there was a *BOOM*, the car lurched forward and died.

The pedal stuck straight to the floor and stayed there. Being retarded, I put the stick in neutral and started the car to keep the heat going while I waited for a tow. It started, but there was a rotating "whirrrrr" noise from the transmission, so I shut it off.

The tow truck guy was the owner of a shop down the road and quoted me $350 for a new master cylinder. I don't have a garage and it's freakin cold, so I just said yes. He calls and said the slave is blown too, so that's another $250. I'm on a work hold with him at this point.

The guy has a good rep, but I don't see how master and slave can blow up at the same time. Maybe I'm retarded (possible), but I'd rather get an opinion from somebody who knows more than I do and isn't getting paid for it.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Withought you having the car on hand we can't help troubleshoot.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car's a block away. I have the keys. It's on hand. I can't move it because the clutch isn't working, but it's at my disposal. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM

First of all it sounds like too much money. A Clutch master cylinder is about $60, Slave cylinder $30.
Several things can make the pedal stay to the floor. First, a fluid leak. Worn seals in the master cylinder or salve. But none of these will cause a boom sound.
The only thing I can think that would make a sound, would be the fork pivot bolt brakes. Or the trow bearing came apart, or throw bearing guide shaft broke or came loose.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks maxtrax. I'm with you on the money part, and that's why I'm asking questions. I don't have a garage, so working on the car in the cold is a no-go until March.

The fork looks fine. The boom sound came from the whole car lurching when the clutch suddenly lost pressure and engaged. At least I think so, I might be wrong.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM

Does the master have NO fluid in it? It is not likely for the master and slave to go at once. i would check the clutch lines first. most of them start to leak close to the slave cylinder. is there a lot of fluid on the transmission?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM

Quite possibly all the fluid leaked causing the clutch pedal w/ no pressure, slave cylinder stuck 1/4 way with clutch engaged causing the scratchy sound.

Do the 1 stainless clutch line and remove all the extraneous clutch lines.