4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cloth Door Panel Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Location: [Summer: High Rock Lake, NC, USA] [Winter: Midway, NC, USA] [Current: St Bernard, LA]
Cloth Door Panel Inserts

Hello,

I was driving my car today and had a passenger smoking a cigarette, which got knocked into the cloth insert on my passenger side door panel when my dog jumped on him. Anyways, I am currently searching for a new cloth insert for my door panel, and am having little luck finding one (currently actually waiting for a local $tealership to return a phone call at parts department). I was wondering if anybody here knows how to remove/replace the cloth insert in this door panel. So far all I have found in searching the forums was how to install a leather one, which always results in the answer being glue the leather over the cloth for a more "puffy" look, but I am not interested in switching to leather on this one.

Thanks in advance,
T. Guy
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by txe5502
Hello,

I was driving my car today and had a passenger smoking a cigarette, which got knocked into the cloth insert on my passenger side door panel when my dog jumped on him. Anyways, I am currently searching for a new cloth insert for my door panel, and am having little luck finding one (currently actually waiting for a local $tealership to return a phone call at parts department). I was wondering if anybody here knows how to remove/replace the cloth insert in this door panel. So far all I have found in searching the forums was how to install a leather one, which always results in the answer being glue the leather over the cloth for a more "puffy" look, but I am not interested in switching to leather on this one.

Thanks in advance,
T. Guy
Get some leather ones.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: [Summer: High Rock Lake, NC, USA] [Winter: Midway, NC, USA] [Current: St Bernard, LA]
Originally Posted by gidwits
Get some leather ones.
Well, as I said, I am not interested in leather ones, if I were, I would already have my answer on what to do about this issue. Hopefully someone here will have some experience with this, interior parts are usually a nightmare from what I've seen.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:02 PM

I got some grey cloth inserts
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by eddie982
I got some grey cloth inserts
Aww, I wish you had some tan ones. That's half the problem, finding it, but I am more worried about how I'm going to install it once I do.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Bump for this thread...It would help me out big time also
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM

Aww, I wish you had some tan ones. That's half the problem, finding it, but I am more worried about how I'm going to install it once I do.
Theres a dozen partouts goin on in classifieds, it should be an easy find.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
4th Gen Parts King

The cloth are not an insert and are glued to the door panel. The OEM leather ones are an insert and have tabs to secure them to the door panel.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The cloth is glued to a foam backing. Mine peeled off pretty easy. Sounds super gay, but go to the fabric store. If you have a lady, take her so it's less gay. Get something thicker than spandex and a can of spray glue. Hit up Home Depot to remind yourself that you're a man and get some screen window spline. I don't remember the exact size, but I got it right the first time with an eyeball measurement. I think all spline is black, so plan for that. You'll have to do all 4.

Use the old covers to measure that **** out on your new no-homo fabric. Cut it out, but leave some extra around the edges. Mask around the empty foam spot because you're about to spray glue at your door panel. Newspaper and masking tape work. Spray some glue on that ***** and put your no-homo fabric on there. Smooth that **** out so it doesn't end up looking retarded. Push it all up in there, especially around the edge.

Get out your Xacto knife to impress women with your hands of steel. There will be extra around the edge, so slice that **** out (carefully). Get your roll of spline and push it in around the edges. Cut it right at the end and stick the joint wherever you think people won't examine with a microscope.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^ that is a lot of work.

These panels can be had for less than $20 a piece in great condition. Hit up the classifieds for someone locally parting out a car. Try craigslist. Try local pull a part junk yards. If you were local it'd sell you one and replace it for you for $20, but I'm up here in MA. Roadtrip... ?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nsnrider speakers the truth. I spent about $20 on things I didn't have laying around (had an Xacto and fresh blades) and put in about 2.5 hours of Saturday time.

I saved the project for a dead Saturday, so I didn't really value 2.5 hours of my time at $60 to do all 4 panels. The upside is that I made it look how I wanted.

I know you only have one to deal with, so here's what I can give to help if you can find a stock cover. pull the old one off and test fit the replacement. A butter knife will help get the old one off. If you can get an edge up without tearing the panel cover, you're good. The cover should have a thick roll around the outside that needs to be pressed into the gap around the foam insert. That roll needs to have adhesive behind it too when you reapply.

Use a tacky spray glue and mask around the foam insert. Light and even spray is the key. It doesn't take much. If you smear glue from a tube on there, you'll either end up with glue getting through the cover or wrinkles because you missed a spot. Tacky glue means you can pull it off and try again if you don't get the cover positioned right on the first try.

I did my thing because I didn't like my covers. Could have gotten other stock covers, but they wouldn't look right on my panels.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM

I would just replace the whole door panel. I've done that dozens of times and it's simple/cheap
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM

this is why no smokers allowed and leather. plus cloth is a beotch to clean.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Funny thing is there is a TSB about the cloth ones, something about a "offensive" odor coming from them after sitting in the sun.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
this is why no smokers allowed and leather. plus cloth is a beotch to clean.
Well, that tends to be impossible when said smoker is a college student, is your roommate (20 miles off campus), doesn't own a car, and you're his only ride. Besides, I smoke myself, I'm simply "obsessively" cautious when doing anything capable of causing damage to mine or anyone else's property.

Anyhow, I've found a few people who may have just the part I am looking for, I simply need to find my camera so I can send photos of what I need to them, in order to make sure they have an exact match, but for now, I seem to have misplaced my camera on the move back to Louisiana, but I know it's here somewhere.

Last edited by txe5502; 02-13-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM

Just called a local Nissan dealership and jeeeez. They have the part but want $1100 for it no thanks on that one, since there seems to be no junkyards in the area I am currently living in, I will be browsing the classifieds on the org to see if anybody has what I need.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Just called a local Nissan dealership and jeeeez. They have the part but want $1100 for it no thanks on that one, since there seems to be no junkyards in the area I am currently living in, I will be browsing the classifieds on the org to see if anybody has what I need.
They are giving you the price for the whole door panel, Tell them to look up the TSB for foul odors and it will give them the P/N for just the cloth pieces.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_man_x
They are giving you the price for the whole door panel, Tell them to look up the TSB for foul odors and it will give them the P/N for just the cloth pieces.
I asked about just the cloth piece, and was told they do not offer this part seperately.

Edit: Oh, I see, the TSB is a workaround...

Last edited by txe5502; 02-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM

I asked about just the cloth piece, and was told they do not offer this part seperately.

Edit: Oh, I see, the TSB is a workaround...

You should be able to find a whole new (used) door panel at a junkyard in any color/material you need for under 50 bucks. Replace the whole panel and call it a day.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by pavelsmax
You should be able to find a whole new (used) door panel at a junkyard in any color/material you need for under 50 bucks. Replace the whole panel and call it a day.
Here in lies the problem, I am currently residing in a place/state I am not familiar with, and from what I can see, there just arent junkyards around here, every junkyard listed on google in my area I've called had a disconnected number, or a wrong number, and the location was vacant, there are junkyards, but too far away to be worth driving to, I.E. Baton Rouge, this is why as of late, I've been lurking on ebay waiting for one to appear.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 PM

All I can say is Good Luck on your search...