4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Popping noise in front after changing struts & springs

Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM

Popping noise in front after changing struts & springs

I have a popping noise in the front end after changing the springs and struts. I finally replaced the stock setup with H & R springs and Tokico Blues. I also bought all new parts (strut mount, bearing, and perch). The popping noise only occurs when I turn the steering wheel. It is the most noticeable sitting still as I turn the steering wheel left to right. It is not one pop, but a series of pops. I haven't heard any noises while driving or going around curves. I have only heard it when turning onto another road or sitting still as I turn the wheel. I have read similar problems after people have replaced their struts, but have not read about anyone who has had this problem when replacing all parts. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM

Likely your upper spring mount/perch is out of position. It has "out" and a notch on the part that needs to be facing the wheel. Did you do this? Either that or your springs are bindings. A stock suspension is meant to be quiet, not an aftermarket. Although it should be quiet, dont start modding and expect everything to be quiet. Just a heads up
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Likely your upper spring mount/perch is out of position. It has "out" and a notch on the part that needs to be facing the wheel. Did you do this? Either that or your springs are bindings. A stock suspension is meant to be quiet, not an aftermarket. Although it should be quiet, dont start modding and expect everything to be quiet. Just a heads up
I forgot to mention that, but yes, the "out" on the perch is facing away from the engine and is in line with the mount for the lower 2 bolts. I could be wrong, but I don't think it is normal to hear popping noises when turning the steering wheel from left to right even though the springs are aftermarket. The H & R springs are quality springs and the drop is minimal. What does it mean for the springs to be binding and how can I fix this? I ensured that the springs were in the proper location on the lip of the strut.

Last edited by whitemax21; 02-17-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM

Everything you replaced with Nissan parts? The perch/mount is usually the culprit when popping occurs but the bearing has a lot to do with reducing noise. It is hard to diagnose suspension noise especially because most people use different names for the parts and Nissan names them crazy things as well. The gold bracket that actually bolts into the strut mount, the top portion of that is called the insulator. Was it in good shape? It is in bad shape if the rubber has seperated
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 PM

Everything you replaced with Nissan parts? The perch/mount is usually the culprit when popping occurs but the bearing has a lot to do with reducing noise. It is hard to diagnose suspension noise especially because most people use different names for the parts and Nissan names them crazy things as well. The gold bracket that actually bolts into the strut mount, the top portion of that is called the insulator. Was it in good shape? It is in bad shape if the rubber has seperated
All of the parts are MOOG parts purchased from RockAuto. The gold bracket is the only part that was re-used as it was in good condition. I don't recall there being a rubber part on top of the strut mount bracket. Do you have a picture or part number of what you are referring to? There was a paper thin gasket that went between the strut mount and the body of the car. That was also reused because it didn't seem to do much.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 PM

part #6 is the insulator that can sometimes cause noise. #17 is what keeps the stock suspension quiet because it holds the spring in place. When you change it up the spring can build up lateral pressure and shift during a turn and cause noise. The popping shouldnt be happening though. When I said noisy before, I meant you can hear your suspension working when you have the windows down or something similar. Not intrusive

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 02-17-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 PM

part #6 is the insulator that can sometimes cause noise. #17 is what keeps the stock suspension quiet because it holds the spring in place. When you change it up the spring can build up lateral pressure and shift during a turn and cause noise. The popping shouldnt be happening though. When I said noisy before, I meant you can hear your suspension working when you have the windows down or something similar. Not intrusive
I was trying to find a way to insert that pic but you beat me to it. I did replace part #6. Part number #17 came with the perch and it is also Moog. Is there a particular way that that is supposed to be orientated? I don't think I paid attention to that when I assembled everything. How can I prevent the spring from building up lateral pressure and shifting, if this is what is happening?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

As long as everything is lined up correctly, give it some time to settle.
Did you use a Nissan bearing? I've had aftermarket bearings that just never allowed the strut to rotate smooth which produces the pop.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
As long as everything is lined up correctly, give it some time to settle.
Did you use a Nissan bearing? I've had aftermarket bearings that just never allowed the strut to rotate smooth which produces the pop.
The bearings are new and came with the Moog strut mount. Does the rubber spring seat that goes under the perch have a correct orientation? I don't remember checking this. Also, I have read to place the spring seat on the spring and then the perch. I just placed both on top of the spring at the same time.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 AM

Check the struts nut in the center of it's mount. When I didn't give them enough torque I got popping noise only during turns.

Last edited by jholley; 02-18-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Check the struts nut in the center of it's mount. When I didn't give them enough torque I got popping noise only during turns.
Everything was assembled using an impact wrench.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM

I have a feeling it is your moog bearing honestly. It is either that or the Moog upper perch/mount. Those are really the only things that can cause the popping. Every time I do something to my struts and have to re-seat the perch/mount, the first time I turn it pops and settles into place. Only once as it is hard to get that notch and "out" in the intended position
Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM

I have a feeling it is your moog bearing honestly. It is either that or the Moog upper perch/mount. Those are really the only things that can cause the popping. Every time I do something to my struts and have to re-seat the perch/mount, the first time I turn it pops and settles into place. Only once as it is hard to get that notch and "out" in the intended position
That is what I was thinking. I am going to order 2 OEM bearings and go from there. The factory ones that were removed lasted 290k miles and were not making any noises. OEM parts are expensive, but many times you are better off buying quality parts.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM

I think I paid $12 or $13 for em. Take courtesyparts.com's price to the dealer and they will usually match it
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by whitemax21
Everything was assembled using an impact wrench.
This is likely part of your problem, I can't remember for sure but the center strut bolt is only supposed to be at like 30-40 ft-lbs. Some impact wrenches go over 1200 ft-lbs

EDIT: FSM says 43-58 ft-lbs on those nuts

Last edited by cjanderson3; 02-18-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The center nut is only holding the strut to the mount.
The bearing is actually only carrying the load of the vehicle.
Try the OE bearing. FYI - I could never get my H&R's silent. I even have the occasional pop with my current OE (5 speed on auto) setup.

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 02-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The center nut is only holding the strut to the mount.
The bearing is actually only carrying the load of the vehicle.
Try the OE bearing. FYI - I could never get my H&R's silent. I even have the occasional pop with my current OE (5 speed on auto) setup.
I ordered the OE bearing today, so hopefully I can get that swapped before the weekend. I hope this takes care of the problem. I like the stance the H&Rs provide, so I guess I will have to tolerate the popping noise if this doesn't fix the problem.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM

I guess I am lucky to not have had any problems with my suspension, considering my car has 290k miles. Until yesterday, everything in the car had not been touched since it came from the factory and there wasn't any noises at all from the suspension. I am getting ready to do a big overhaul soon by changing out the lca's, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar end links, rack and pinion, power steering pump, complete 01 dek swap, OBX headers, and 01 manual transmission. All the parts have been purchased and I am just waiting for my brother-in-law to help. Needless to say, I can't wait until it is done.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM

I took the car out this morning and the popping noises are significantly better, if not almost gone. I guess the springs just needed time to seat. For now, I am going to hang on to the OE strut bearings that have been ordered and replace them if the sound comes back. I just wanted to share my experience in case others have this problem after changing their factory springs and shocks.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Probably just took a while for them to find the right spot. Like I said, every time I do suspension work I get a loud "pop" the first time I turn when it settles into place. Impossible to get everything in the exact right spot up in the air
Old 02-19-2013, 08:56 AM

I'm having the same problem with mine, did my struts a few months ago and everything is aligned but the popping persists. Ordered a new pair of bearings and will install them when they arrive. let me know if you take care of your issue and what you did.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by TreizeRXH
I'm having the same problem with mine, did my struts a few months ago and everything is aligned but the popping persists. Ordered a new pair of bearings and will install them when they arrive. let me know if you take care of your issue and what you did.
I haven't done anything except drive the car. The popping noises have completely stopped so I guess the new springs just needed time to seat. Hopefully you ordered Nissan bearings and it takes care of your problem. If the other parts are old, I would replace them too (strut mount, perch or top hat, rubber spring seat that goes in perch, and something to wrap around the 2nd coil spring/last few coil springs to prevent squeaking).
Old 05-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, just wanted to say this worked for me...replaced part #6 and part #17 this morning and the loud popping noises are pretty much gone.