4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway

5th gen parts used:

Upper intake manifold, holes bored/drilled to match flipped A32 LIM
Throttle body
EGR guide tube
Front and rear valve covers
Anniversary Edition engine cover
Throttle cable
Cruise control actuator
Brake booster hose
Random hoses and hard tubes

4th gen parts:

Lower intake manifold flipped, not drilled, ports line up
Coil packs
TPS
IACV
EGR temp sensor

Custom made stuff/extra stuff needed:

IACV adapter plate
TB block off plate
Mid pipe
Summit digital RPM switch
Wire for grounds and RPM switch
1/2" heater hose
8mm bolts
Gaskets for parts replaced
RTV grey

I still need to work out some issues with the IACV plumbing. As is, the noise is unbearable. Seems to run fine, although I have yet to get out on the road.

While the car was apart I also installed Cattman headers. What a job that turned out to be. I don't want to do that again.

Next up will be the Fidanza flywheel and Competition Clutch that have been collecting dust.

And for fun I posted old pics of my MEVI setup.
Attached Thumbnails 00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway-img_0556.jpg   00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway-img_0557.jpg   00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway-img_0561.jpg   00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway-img_2433.jpg   00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway-img_2403.jpg  

Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 AM

Nice! I want that AE cover!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 AM

im digging that engine cover
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM
Got Retrofit?

Nice to see that you're still modding the Max.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a VAFCII for my eventuall 00VI setup, and I realized I don't want all that wiring splicing at the ECU, and I don't want any wiring going into the cabin. A simpler switch like the summit where I splice the 12V, RPM, ground and that's it. I don't plan on doing any tunes, deal with wideband O2s etc.

Did you leave the summit switch in the engine bay?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
While the car was apart I also installed Cattman headers. What a job that turned out to be. I don't want to do that again.

Oh man. I'm thinking of doing my cattaman's as well myself...this aint helping
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
I have a VAFCII for my eventuall 00VI setup, and I realized I don't want all that wiring splicing at the ECU, and I don't want any wiring going into the cabin. A simpler switch like the summit where I splice the 12V, RPM, ground and that's it. I don't plan on doing any tunes, deal with wideband O2s etc.

if you run 5th gen lower intake manifold with 5th gen injectors and fuel rail you will need a tune trust me. You will be dumping fuel with the bigger injectors
If you run 4th gen lower and 4th gen injectors an fuel rail you will be fine

Last edited by luke95gxe; 03-20-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Looking good Jsutter. Congrats on the install.

Not feelin' the cover though. It doesn't flow with anything and looks like it belongs to a different engine. It has curves where there is nothing to curve around, it hides and is on top of the lower cover etc Just my opinion of course. LOL

You're worried about 7 taps and 1 intercept? and running one wire into the engine bay? Really? It's just a few more wires than a Harlan or Summit. You act as if you're intalling a EMU...

Headers are a biitch to install. Have fun.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe

Yup, I plan to do 4th gen everything...except the 00VI of course
Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
.....You're worried about 7 taps and 1 intercept? and running one wire into the engine bay? Really? It's just a few more wires than a Harlan or Summit. You act as if you're intalling a EMU...
Yes. If I can do it without even going into the cabin that would be my ideal. I just want 12 volts to switch the 00VI on at 5000 rpms and off at 4700 or so. That's it. Why go through the hassle for just that?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I agree, the AE cover is somewhat off, but I still like it. I like the look of the MEVI better overall. But it goes with the other AE parts; VLSD, pedals, shift ****, and a host of 5th gen stuff; clutch, front brakes, muffler.

No, it is in the center console. There are only 4 wires for the Summit; ground, 12v, tach input, device ground. I don't know off hand where the tach wire is under the hood. I had an SAFCII before and its not a big deal to install. Still, I understand why you may not want to fuss with it. The tuning issue was the only reason I stuck with the 4th gen lower.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Oh man. I'm thinking of doing my cattaman's as well myself...this aint helping
I've had them for quite a while now, just sitting around, not looking forward to the install. Unfortunately they got damaged in a car accident and they will need a new flex. I stuck them on any how. Getting the old stuff off is the hard part. It's like the car was built around the rear manifold. Thankfully I did not break any manifold studs in the heads. That was my biggest fear. I wish I did them sooner, I mean years and years ago. The exhaust note alone is worth the bull. I've had a Warp Y since May of 04, never liked the raspy drone of unequal pipes.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Nice to see that you're still modding the Max.
There were times when I sold mods thinking the car was getting to old. MEVI/SAFC combo, GC/Koni/Stillen camber plates, Stillen FSTB/RSTB.... jeeze some of those parts are pretty rare these days, what was I thinking One thing I have really been putting off are the WSP SFC's. Those have been out of production for ages. Now that I don't drive it daily, I can leisurely wrench on it when I feel up to it.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Administrator

One thing I have really been putting off are the WSP SFC's. Those have been out of production for ages. Now that I don't drive it daily, I can leisurely wrench on it when I feel up to it.
You don't need those either. Might as well sell them to me.....so I can have a second set.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
if you run 5th gen lower intake manifold with 5th gen injectors and fuel rail you will need a tune trust me. You will be dumping fuel with the bigger injectors

I am running with the 5th gen lower intake, injectors, and fuel rail. I know I am probably running rich, but I don't think it is dumping the fuel. Before, I would average 26 mpg and after the swap and egr delete, I am getting 22-23 mpg. I do plan on getting a vafcII to correct the air/fuel mixture, but until I get some money saved up, 22mpg will have to do.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 AM

...Getting the old stuff off is the hard part. It's like the car was built around the rear manifold....
Now THAT makes me feel a bit better about my setup. I bought a California, rust free car. DJFREstyle did my suspension last year and was blown away at how easy it was due to no rust.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Now THAT makes me feel a bit better about my setup. I bought a California, rust free car. DJFREstyle did my suspension last year and was blown away at how easy it was due to no rust.
He's not just talking about rust. Getting the OEM heat shield off and out on the rear bank near the firewall is a nightmare.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM

He's not just talking about rust. Getting the OEM heat shield off and out on the rear bank near the firewall is a nightmare.
My initial plan was to do headers only, but because of the difficulty of the install, I've switched to doing headers and 00VI simultaneously. That way, with the upper IM removed, getting at the rear section for the headers install might be easier? I think schmellyfart suggested that with the upper IM removed headers becomes a much easier install........well if you dont have rust to deal with.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM

Come to think of it, I pretty much want to do exactly what JSutter did.
So Jsutter, if you didn't have rust to deal with, how difficult do you think the job would be for doing the 00VI and headers simultaneously?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Administrator

You have to take off the IM anyway to gain access to everything. Having the IM off doesn't change the fact that the heatshield won't come out easily, as it will get wedged/stuck on stuff as you try to take it out from the top or bottom...this is what Jsutter means by "It's like the car was built around the rear manifold" You'll see once you do the install.

My bad, back on topic.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Bingo. Rust was not my problem. Taking parts off to get more room is the problem. The rear heat shield makes some creative expletives to pull it out of its home.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im finally starting my 00vi swap tomorrow im going going with the 01 uim so no egr iv got the 01 tb and the 01 rear valve cover using the my 4thgen lim and injectors and just doing the 180 with the lim im not meaning tho post jack any one just cant start a new thread my self yet i will be taking pic as i go so i can make a journal for it all iv ben reading up for for about a half year now iv read all of the threads and the pdf and tatankos webpage so many times like i said not meaning to thread jack here and input is wellcome
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 PM

I sold my mevi months ago and went back to usim... I am going 00vi as well with an AE cover... Im missing 5th gen injectors pigtails and iacv adapter plater and egr blockoff... Aside from that im using front and rear valve covers and coils custom painted ae cover full 5th gen setup aside from my iacv... How long did it take you to install and get running?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Trade you pigtails for that cover.....

Andy
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
How long did it take you to install and get running?
I fab'ed everything as I went, installed headers, painted half my engine bay, along with countless other odds and ends while I was in there, so its been a month working on and off. I took my time mocking things up before final assembly. I over thought the whole job (read I'm ****) so it wouldn't end up a hack job.

If you had everything prepped, BOP, IACV adapter, etc., all the necessary hardware, parts, and gaskets before install, you could get it all done in a weekend.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey jsutter how was doing the vac lines can you give any info on that thankss

Last edited by drkjester; 03-24-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM

Welcome fellow oovi'er!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by drkjester
hey jsutter how was doing the vac lines can you give any info on that thankss
Yea throw out all the factory crap and start fresh.

Name:  IMG_0529_zps840ba659.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  162.5 KB

Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 PM

gettn hyped to do these headers and see what will come. both the exhaust note and my expletive creativity to flow...just really ****** flow. lol. how long for the headers alone? think 9 hours with use of a shop rack and my "ultimate set of tools" ...
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yea throw out all the factory crap and start fresh.

so obviously if im deleting the egr ( 01 uim) i dont need the green one. thanks that going to help me out alot . so i noticed you live in portland me im right about 1 hr south of you in northberwick me we should start a maxima club for maine man id love to see your beast of a max

Last edited by drkjester; 03-25-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
Welcome fellow oovi'er!
hah thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

so obviously if im deleting the egr ( 01 uim) i dont need the green one. thanks that going to help me out alot . so i noticed you live in portland me im right about 1 hr south of you in northberwick me we should start a maxima club for maine man id love to see your beast of a max
No but you may want to keep it plugged in to avoid a CEL.

It will be awhile before I get it back on the road. In all the years I have been here I have only met a few local orgers. Any interest in going to New England Dragway this year?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

My EGR is deleted. I still have the solenoid and temp sensor plugged in to avoid a CEL, but I do not have any vacuum lines hooked up to the solenoid.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No but you may want to keep it plugged in to avoid a CEL.

It will be awhile before I get it back on the road. In all the years I have been here I have only met a few local orgers. Any interest in going to New England Dragway this year?
ya im trying to clean the engin bay so the grrn one will be gone i dont care about a cel i pull my bulb i dont need to worry about inspection haha . so can i by pass this metal thing with the vac and fule lines ill put a pic in of what im talking about do really need it can we just run lines right to what ever we need to ? and ya dude id def go to the drags i dont drag my car im more in to cusingg and going to meets and shows but id def go watch a max drag though
Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

any one ?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Yes you can remove the vacuum gallery and connect only the solenoids you want.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes you can remove the vacuum gallery and connect only the solenoids you want.
good i hate that thing haha it has fule lines in it to right ? so with your you just fliped the lim what was the hardst part of the swap for you what should i been on the look for
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

and i was wondering about gaskets for the lim to
Old 03-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Nothing is hard at all. It just takes time to turn wrenches. Yes you need to extend the fuel lines if you remove the gallery. I did all that years ago so the details are foggy. I replaced all the gaskets as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what gasket sets did you use ? the a33 ones for the lim ?

Quick Reply: 00vi swap nearly complete... pics anyway