4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another No Start Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM

Another No Start Thread

OK, so I have a 95 max that refuses to start. I have narrowed it down to a fuel problem. I did full tune up, changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, cleaned the grounds, changed the starter, bought new cam and crank shaft sensors, cleaned the throttle body, and changed all the fuses under the dash. All to no avail. I know that my battery is good because it is also a few months old and while I am troubleshooting, I keep the battery on a trickle-charge charger. As a result, I don't have to worry about ever having enough juice. I confirmed that there is fire because after spraying start-it in the intake my max starts, which implies that I have fire. After it starts if left to idle it dies. If I attempt to rev it makes a crackling sound which seems to imply the injectors are starving for fuel. I also had a buddy of mine check the injectors and he said they seem fine. I even hear a hiss when the key is in the on position so the fuel pump is working and I have verified that fuel is shooting up when I remove the hose on top of the fuel filter. At this point I would like to know what regulates the fuel reaching the throttle body? Are there any sensors that could be the culprit here or does anyone have any suggestions because I am stumped.

On another note, I have a rare throttle body with a single connector (not the usual throttle body with two connectors that most other 4th gens comes with). I am not sure if this makes a difference, but someone plz help!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 AM

Since you think you have a fuel problem, you need to prove or dis-prove that.

A fuel pump making noise is not a guarantee that it is pumping gas. You need to disconnect the fuel line and see if gas is coming out. You also need to determine if the fuel injectors are working. There is a red wire going to each injector that has 12 volts on it to power the injector. Turn the ignition key on and see if you have 12 volts. Then you need to determine if the fuel injectors are firing. Listening to the clicking sound they make is probably the easiest way. You need to use a stethoscope (or a substitute) for that.

The fuel pressure regulator could also be a problem, not allowing fuel through it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MadManMax-M3

On another note, I have a rare throttle body with a single connector (not the usual throttle body with two connectors that most other 4th gens comes with). I am not sure if this makes a difference, but someone plz help!!!!
the ecu not getting a signal from the tps can also make starting the car a pain can you post a pic of your throttle body
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Since you think you have a fuel problem, you need to prove or dis-prove that.

A fuel pump making noise is not a guarantee that it is pumping gas. You need to disconnect the fuel line and see if gas is coming out. You also need to determine if the fuel injectors are working. There is a red wire going to each injector that has 12 volts on it to power the injector. Turn the ignition key on and see if you have 12 volts. Then you need to determine if the fuel injectors are firing. Listening to the clicking sound they make is probably the easiest way. You need to use a stethoscope (or a substitute) for that.

The fuel pressure regulator could also be a problem, not allowing fuel through it.
Thanks DennisMik, for your quick reply. I did verify that fuel is coming out from the fuel filter under the hood after I disconnected the gas line that I believe is feeding the injector rail. I also forgot to mention that I did buy and install a new fuel pressure regulator, but will look into checking the voltage at each injector! Will keep you posted.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
the ecu not getting a signal from the tps can also make starting the car a pain can you post a pic of your throttle body
Thanks also for your quick reply luke95gxe. OK, I will try to take pics this weekend when I go home, I'm at school now. I am not familiar with testing signals to the ecu...how would you suggest to go about testing this luke?

This is the only picture that I have now, but I don't know how helpful this will be...it is a link to my album:
http://forums.maxima.org/picture.php...ictureid=33967

Last edited by MadManMax-M3; 04-03-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Thanks also for your quick reply luke95gxe. OK, I will try to take pics this weekend when I go home, I'm at school now. I am not familiar with testing signals to the ecu...how would you suggest to go about testing this luke?

This is the only picture that I have now, but I don't know how helpful this will be...it is a link to my album:
http://forums.maxima.org/picture.php...ictureid=33967
cant really see from the pic but there looks to be alot of wires that arent original? is there a lot of splicing? also has this car ran for you before and this is a new problem or did you buy it not running?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM

cant really see from the pic but there looks to be alot of wires that arent original? is there a lot of splicing? also has this car ran for you before and this is a new problem or did you buy it not running?
I believe the wires should be all original. A buddy and I changed the motor here in this pic but we hooked everything back up and the car was running like a dream for a couple months, actually much better than with the motor that the car came with, which showed signs of a blown head gasket. I will work on getting better pics this weekend.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM

I believe the wires should be all original. A buddy and I changed the motor here in this pic but we hooked everything back up and the car was running like a dream for a couple months, actually much better than with the motor that the car came with, which showed signs of a blown head gasket. I will work on getting better pics this weekend.
since you just replaced the engine your going to need to take off the transmission and clean those mating surfaces belive me thats what i had to do...done a tranny swap..ran good few months then one day no start it was poping going threw starters and i also replaced all my sensors and junk...if you didnt not clean the matting surfaces on your trans and engine with some sort of sand paper or a wire wheel brush you will keep this problem
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone know why this guy...or me for that fact wouldnt be getting any fuel?

So far I have...
replaced fuel pump
replaced the cam sensor
verified no fuel sisquirting out of the fuel line
tried to replace the relays

It cranks but no starting

THanks, Labrat
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sr79labrat
Anyone know why this guy...or me for that fact wouldnt be getting any fuel?

So far I have...
replaced fuel pump
replaced the cam sensor
verified no fuel sisquirting out of the fuel line
tried to replace the relays

It cranks but no starting

THanks, Labrat
have you tested the pump????
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

have you tested the pump????
The old pump nor the new one would prime. In addition there is no power going to the pump. I used my DVOM to test it.

Any other ideas? Cranks sensor? Coolant temp?

Thanks for the thoughts!
KTW
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by sr79labrat
The old pump nor the new one would prime. In addition there is no power going to the pump. I used my DVOM to test it.

Any other ideas? Cranks sensor? Coolant temp?

Thanks for the thoughts!
KTW
there is a fuel pump fuse dont know where or number but there is one
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

there is a fuel pump fuse dont know where or number but there is one
Finally broke down and took it to my auto electrician. HE said he thought the car might have been sitting for awhile. The security fuse looked to be nasty from his description so he cleaned it up and WHALA it runs again!!!! Moral of the story is to check any and all fuses even if you think they are unrelated. This explains the no fuel and no spark!!!!