4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 maxima Alternator bad but battery good

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM

98 maxima Alternator bad but battery good

The brake lite and batt lite came on this morning but the car drives normally otherwise. took it to meinke to get it checked out they said the batterys okay but the atlternator is bad. they wanted 400+ to replace. My normal mechanic is across town from me (11 miles) and I'm afraid of the car conking on me on the way there.

I'm thinking about getting the part and paying for labor tomorrow. my question is how much longer can the car go before it conks?

best guesstimation
Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 PM

I've been told you can go a few hours on a fully charged battery, but I wouldn't rely on that much. And don't know how low your battery is. If you have a charger, put it on overnight and you should have plenty of juice to drive across town tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Are you located in Jersey? If so I can help you out. Changing the alternator is one of the EASIEST tasks you can do by yourself with pretty basic tools....Unless your bolts are rusted smh
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
I've been told you can go a few hours on a fully charged battery, but I wouldn't rely on that much. And don't know how low your battery is. If you have a charger, put it on overnight and you should have plenty of juice to drive across town tomorrow.
Well. Speaking from experience. I drove for about 30 mins on just battery. And that killed it enough that it wouldn't start after
Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Mine went out on me a year ago. It went through starting and turning off 4 times, and driving it for an hour as well before it quit. But it was a major PITA to change. It took over 8 hours to change it out and get everything running again. And ever since it has made a whistling sound. So I wouldn't get a TYC if I were you. $400 is kind of ridiculous. An alternator only costs around $150, so if you can, its worth doing the work yourself.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM

And to add to the time thing, I was listening to music with subs going with it. Granted, it was a new battery.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by EvoTillIDie
Are you located in Jersey? If so I can help you out. Changing the alternator is one of the EASIEST tasks you can do by yourself with pretty basic tools....Unless your bolts are rusted smh
thanx for the offer but I'm in philly
Old 04-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Aflion
Mine went out on me a year ago. It went through starting and turning off 4 times, and driving it for an hour as well before it quit. But it was a major PITA to change. It took over 8 hours to change it out and get everything running again. And ever since it has made a whistling sound. So I wouldn't get a TYC if I were you. $400 is kind of ridiculous. An alternator only costs around $150, so if you can, its worth doing the work yourself.

thats what I looking for.. so far its been 4 off and ons and two short trips (dropping of my mother and mieneke) I don't mind paying for the labor I just want to keep costs reasonable.

Tomorrow I'm looking at 2 starts (one to get to the parts store and one to get to the mechanic) and the trip across town. hopefully itll go smooth.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM

You can drive for quite awhile on just battery if you reduce other electrical use to a minimun. No lights, no radio, no fan, etc. Across town during the day should be fine. If you put it on a battery charger in between, like overnight, you can "refill" the battery and go farther. As pointed out earlier, this is a fairly easy DIY job - maybe a 4 on a 1-10 scale - as long as the bolts, etc aren't too rusted up. I have not done it myself, but I believe that I have read that most people unbolt (but not diconnect) the AC compressor to provide a little more room to work. Go ahead and replace the accessory belt while the alternator is being replaced. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM

Wasn't there a recall on 98 alternators?
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-vin-info.html