4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

"wobble shake and vibrate" says the maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM

"wobble shake and vibrate" says the maxima

Hit something on the interstate and developed a wobble.
After I hit it the car had a slight vibration that got worse as I drove. I pulled over and inpected everything and nothing was obvious. Took the highway back home and it really wasn't all that bad. At speeds under 60 it's not that concerning, just a shakey steering wheel. Over 60 and the whole car is shaking.

The story goes:
My aging maxima has seen many blown axles.. the passenger side axle threw grease on my lca bushings and my inner tie rod on that side is deteriorating anyways.

My question is: What could cause this beside a bent rim or damaged tire? Ball joint? Bad tie rod? I already have an inner tie rod and an lca bushing for replacement, I'm just lacking of time.

I've had an lca bushing go completely out (not a fun car to drive) and this doesn't feel like that.. Let me know what y'all think.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM

alignment is always the first thing to check. then, you want to get her on a lift and replace anything thats torn ("ie., boot ) or worn, ( bushings ) and turn the steering wheel and see how much play its got. you should replace the lca's in pairs, ( i do ) or outer tie rods, sway bar end links,, and go from there.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
No more Maximas...

Jack it up, spin the wheel, probably bent.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Well I'm on the stock 15's and the wheel and tire all checks out. I isolated the shaking down to between 60 and 80. I'm getting a balance and rotation this weekend and replacing inner tie rods and lca bushings weekend after that.. Outer tie rods are already new and end links could probably be replaced.. I'll do this and then throw my subframe collars in there
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM

jack you maxima up at one wheel at a time unless u have a 4 ton jack then jack the whole front end up thats what i do lol anyways when u jack it up grab your wheel it try to see if u have movement in it..try to move it up and down by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire then try to see if it has any movement in it from grabbing the sides of the tire and try to move it side to side if u have any play u will know just let me know which way it moves can be a bad wheel bearing tie rods ends the main things that cause play in the wheels
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM

Spindle is new, problem is coming from the right front corner. I feel like it's going to be the sway bar end links.. But I'll try and get the jack out for the ole twist-check before class tomorrow. I was "told" that the inner tie rod needed replacement "before my next alignment" and I know my lca bushing is showing a decent amount of wear. I may just hit t
it with some window weld lol. I know that a balance issue would get worse at faster speeds, but i can still feel this at much lower speeds as well. I'll give more info tomorroe after my sister's surgery if time permits.... I'll take pics too if mecessary
Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM

Sway bar end links wont make you shake. After hitting something on the highway, it doesn't matter what parts were new.
FYI FWD cars don't have spindles, just steering knuckles, bearings, and hubs.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM

^this was true. I was thinking it may have jumped somethjng past the breaking point. And yeah i just meant te whola axle with bearings and whatnot
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 AM

Likely causes would be an egg shaped tire, bent rim, or bent hub. Alignment doesnt
shake and shimmy.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM

Got a balance and rotation and the extreme shake at interstate speeds went away. Tires are still all fine and the wheels are not at allbent. Just the ole slow shake like before... I just gotta fall in on it and finally replace some front end parts.