4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Looking for a nice catback

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM

Looking for a nice catback

i been looking for a nice catback although $700 might be a lil too much for my broke... dont plan on buying ebay bs.
let me know if you have something worth my time. chi-town area would be nice
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cat back ehaust

After much searching, I have decided on Megan Racing's cat-back system. $355.30 from meganracingperformance.com. You can hear it on youtube. Not a fart can but lower freq. I was looking for a glass pack muffler tip like I had on my 240Z 30 years ago but haven't been able to find one.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Cat back

I spent months looking for one that would be well made and look nice on my max and not like a honda. after narrowing it down to Megan and OBX i went with OBX because of the silencer insert that i keep in because I drive into the city from upstate NY 3 times a week total round trip of about 240 miles. Its so quiet with the tip in and very deep without. I wanted to change to cat back not only for the power gain which I did notice instantly but also for the stainless because being in Sullivan County the sand and salt during winter months rot away the aftermarket steel pipes from muffler shops. I have headers on that I bought on ebay but not the cheapo ones that are sold today. They were from some guy who only made them for muscle cars and he had a max and made it for them. I wish I could find his products again but to no avail. The name is on the actual header and I could look at it there if anyone needs to know. The Y pipe is also stainless with the flexible piece which after 6 years gave out so I had to get one of ebay which worked but was not as nicely made. I am going to get the OBX Y pipe when the other one fails. When Custom Maxima or CE was based in CT back in the days I got the high flow cat from them and its still working great til this day. So with all that and a short Ram intake the car feels solid and responds great and I get about 31mpg highway which I love. I run full synthetic and recently went to all RP in engine and Trans. Anyway thought I would give more details on what the setup was for the exhaust. I did look at the vids on youtube with cars being revved up and hearing the exhaust but none of them were from inside the car or if they were it was not clean and crisp. With the windows up you get a different sound in the cabin and when driving because the engine has labor you get a deeper tone than just revving it. I am thinking about setting up a microphone somehow outside the trunk at the tail pipe while driving to get the sound you really hear when the car passes by or what you hear when your not the one driving. Sorry for the long post.

296920 miles as of today original engine and trans... knock on wood

Link to OBX Cat Back
http://www.2kracing.com/Model/Nissan/Maxima.html