4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

dead cylinder woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dead cylinder woes

Hello all
i have a 99 se. bought it a couple of months ago. It was a hard starter right from the begining. After some intense research and numerous new parts, i finally got it to start like a champ. Prob is, #5 cylinder is dead.
comperssion test showed 105psi compared to approx 200 on all other 5 cylinders. I think it washed out. intake port had half inch of fuel in it when i pulled off the intake manifold. I put some oil in the hole and compression jumped to normal. I did a leak down test as well ant it was 75% and hissing from the oil filler cap. Un plugged the coils one by one and #5 shows no change in engine behavior when unplugged. Strange thing is there is no oil on the plug. Engine misses when running. car did run great at one time. Something must of happened while trying to turn it over.
My question is, do i need an engine? if so what will fit? Should i scrap it?
everything else on the car is mint, including body. I really like this car but feel like it might of beaten me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Try using engine restore. I heard it works miracles. If it doesn't work, then it's a new engine or rebuild the one you have.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aflion
Try using engine restore. I heard it works miracles. If it doesn't work, then it's a new engine or rebuild the one you have.

http://www.restoreusa.com/Engine_Restorer.html

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM

you might just need a new coil for number 5, if it didnt change engine conditions afte unlpugging than you need that coil, pm me if you want it, i have working coils
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM

Maybe the fuel injector is dead.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Plus one on the injector test it out iirc they should be 12 ohms
Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 PM

1/2" of fuel in the port? Is the cam rounded off?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dead cylinder woes

i have installed new plug, coil, and injector. injector circuit is ok. How can the fuel round off the cam. leak down test confirmed it was the rings. at tdc hissing is loud at the oil filler cap. Maybe engine restore might buy me some time. Any suggestions on an engine? most ive researched have a ton of miles on them.isthere a later year that will fit
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Fuel wouldn't, just curious. Right, low intake vacuum on #5 would = fuel in intake port also. Just trying to run scenario's. Short of rebuild, I got nothing.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dead cylinder woes

Sorry, i misunderstood on the camshaft reply. I think the old injector was leaking for some time. Maybe it was neglected because of it being under the manifold. i swapped out all three injectors on the right bank and it starts great. the only thing i havent tested is fuel pressure. when i checked the plug afteridling to temperature, the plug is hot and dry. No fuel or oil residue. no smoke from the tale pipe. could i be missing something
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 PM

If you're going to replace the engine, I would consider the 3.5 swap. If you're mechanically inclined, rebuild the on you have or do the swap yourself. Restore is supposed to work as long as it's in the oil, so whenever you change the oil it needs to put in as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine Restore is my next move. i watched the link you sent. Pretty impressive stuff. I am pretty inclined. ive rebuilt motorcycle engines before. Looks very simular to a transverse 4 cylinder in design. id rather change it though. il have to research whats needed to do a 3.5 swap.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 PM

If the smoke shows out of your tail pipe you have a blown headgasket with lot's of misfiring and oil mixing up on the dipstick. If there is no oil on that pacific plug the bottom end that's in the chamber than the oil ring should be fine, as far as the compression test with the piston ring it self it should be in the 175+ range, if you know how to do that. I am hearing that you are somewhere in the 100 range that should be ok. I would re-due that compression part again check the coil and the harness on that cylinder.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hope this is the case. il recheck compression tomorrow. What i did do was remove the coil connector and clip it to a good plug and coil and grounded it.
there was lots of spark. That tells me the harness is ok. then i switched coil and plug from a working cylinder to the dead one and it stayed dead while the other continued to fire. Also when i did the leak down test i checked the rad for bubbles. i didnt see any
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM

If the cylinder is not getting any gas, it will not do anything regardless of the spark. Check the fuel injector for any fuel if you know how to pop the injector out and have someone turn the key over to see if the injector is squeezing out any juice. This is the key to the basic issue.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You know, if been thinking about fuel. i replace all three injectors under the intake manifold. i cant get at it without taking the intake off again. ive only done it about 5 times lol. what a pain. The spark plug is dry,no fuel or oil residue, regulator is holding a vacuum, new filter, and i can hear the #5 injector ticking. Im just puzzled why one cylinder would starve of fuel assuming the new injector is working. start up from cold seems to run very smooth and i think the piston is firing(power balance test) its not till it warms up to operating temperature when it runs like a sac of hammers. Ive spent the day testing the wiring harness to the ecm. everything is ok. Btw i couldnt find my condensor to test that. Fsm says i have one, Clymer does too. i cant see it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by jfash
You know, if been thinking about fuel. i replace all three injectors under the intake manifold. i cant get at it without taking the intake off again. ive only done it about 5 times lol. what a pain. The spark plug is dry,no fuel or oil residue, regulator is holding a vacuum, new filter, and i can hear the #5 injector ticking. Im just puzzled why one cylinder would starve of fuel assuming the new injector is working. start up from cold seems to run very smooth and i think the piston is firing(power balance test) its not till it warms up to operating temperature when it runs like a sac of hammers. Ive spent the day testing the wiring harness to the ecm. everything is ok. Btw i couldnt find my condensor to test that. Fsm says i have one, Clymer does too. i cant see it.

Like I said, If you can pop the injector out with the car on and the manifold off. This is the only way that you can see if the cylinder is getting juice. The consult test is one way, if you can get the power balance test with the compression part. I don't want to say that the engine is gone and the engine needs the rebuilt. The hammering like knocking noise that will itself explain the story. If this is what your hearing it's possible that your piston is dead. The only way to tell is to tear the block apart.