4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM

knock sensor

Trying to pass emissions.

Have 2 codes on my 210K 1996: P0325 & P0505

I changed a knock sensor last night and cleared the codes by leaving the battery off. Today I connect the battery and drive to get the drive cycle going or at least to expect the p0505, since I changed the knock sensor. But I get both codes coming in.

What gives? I installed a new Nissan Knock Sensor and still gives the code? I even cleaned the ground connectors per motorvate DIY. I did NOT change the harness. Do you think the harness needs to be changed as well?

Makes me not want to change the IACV for the p0505 only to have it throw the code back at me. If I fix IACV will knock code go away?

Thanks in advance, im slowly giving up!!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 PM

IACV could be causing it. KS sometimes likes to piggy back off other codes. Usually the knock sensor is bad and is really why the code is on, but it sounds like yours is piggybacking off the other. Fix the IACV and it should go away.

Don't give up! There's no joy in that. Haha.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM

I hope so. Thanks for the motivational bump, your right, I need this fixed!!!

The knock sensor wiring harness had only one wire connecting to the harness side that plugged into the knock sensor. Is that normal? Im thinking maybe the harness is screwed up? Also some people say the position of the knock sensor makes a difference?

Also, do i need a nissan IACV, can I buy an aftermarket brand without any problems? Recommnedations??
Old 05-24-2013, 05:33 PM

I had an ebay KS that worked fine. Idk about an aftermarket IACV. Some things are ok, some need oem. I think knock off brand IACV would be ok, but don't hold me to it. The KS can really only go in one way if you do it without taking the air manifold off. Im not sure about the wiring. I think it varies from car to car. But i don't think a KS wire would be tampered with, so it's probably factory. I wouldn't worry about it. And no problem on the motivation. Lol.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM

To be perfectly honest you didn't HAVE to replace your knock sensor. Sure, it helped, but wasn't necessary. If you get a check engine light for somethin emissions related(iacv included) the knock sensor will piggy back off it and throw a code as well because the knock sensor by itself won't throw a code.

I would imagine an aftermarket iacv will work, but personally I'd buy a used oem Nissan one in the classifieds, working of course.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM

ALWAYS fix the KS LAST.

Try cleaning the IACV before you replace it.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks guys!!! I really do appreciate it!!!

I didn't know that it KS piggybacks off other issues.

Although after 210K, this was the first time I ever replaced the KS. Im glad I did because the plastic housing of the old KS was shattered to death!!!!

Ok but before I try cleaning the IACV, why have I heard many people state that IACV should not be cleaned because it's a valve and it will fudge up electrical components if a solvent should touch it? I figure cleaning it maybe with the CRC Mass Airflow Cleaner would be the safest since it's suppose to evaporate the fastest vs throttle cleaner/intake cleaner, or are there safer solvents to use?

If someone could clarify this for me, I greatly appreciate your time!!

Happy holidays and be safe driving your gems around, I already seen many stupid drunk drivers today on the freeway swerving and reckless!!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 PM

I used carb cleaner when I cleaned mine, and it works fine. I used it to clean another one for another Maxima as well and it works fine. You might as well clean your throttle body and EGR while you're there.

And you too. Avoid the idiots on the road. Or get a Suburban and run over them. Lol.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 AM

UPDATE:

So an update to my code 0505. Cleaned IACV (took plunger out as well), throttle body, & EGR Guide Tube. Replaced knock sensor, pcv valve w/ rubber grommet, and all associated gaskets. Replaced couple of old hoses as well. I cleared the codes...

After the repairs, same problem as before. Every 2nd start, about less than 2 minutes in, my check engine light turns on with the P0505 (IACV) and knock sensor.

So is it safe to say I need to buy an IACV valve? I seen a few on autopartswarehouse, rockauto, etc for around 150-180. I know OEM is ideal but has anyone tried aftermarket?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem with my 96 I only have 136,000 miles and have cleaned everything and have got the same codes still, have you changed the iacv? Did it clear it? I have been trying to avoid buying it cyz it cost about $140 but if it took off the codes id totally buy it jus afraid they will come back, I saw on paperwork from oreilleys that the two codes could be the iac connector? have u changed that? And if so where is it located? I cant seem to find it
Old 07-20-2013, 12:45 AM

Get the IACV from a junk yard, clean it and put it on. The KS code will go away on its own.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay i lied in my previous post, my check engine like came back on with the same KS code, i am now wondering if mine is too the IACV. or maybe a wiring issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM

I bought a knock sensor off eBay which was the original sensor from Nissan that came in the Nissan packaging along with a new knock sensor harness wir. The reason why u should change your harness wire is because it can melt due to the heat from the engine and it won't send a proper signal to the ecu. So try to change wire to the knock sensor and see if it works. There are some of the OEM wires on eBay for sale for like $20.00.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
I bought a knock sensor off eBay which was the original sensor from Nissan that came in the Nissan packaging along with a new knock sensor harness wir. The reason why u should change your harness wire is because it can melt due to the heat from the engine and it won't send a proper signal to the ecu. So try to change wire to the knock sensor and see if it works. There are some of the OEM wires on eBay for sale for like $20.00.

Hello all.. just recently purchased my first car- a 98 nissan maxima with 3.0 engine 134k for $1000. I took it to get checked out and the mechanic said I need the following:

knock sensor
Front breaks
Compressor to get (air conditioner to work)
Rotator for rear break and some other stuff I cant remember.

My question- can I buy this stuff feom ebay? Should I be weary of counterfeit car parts or are there brands to avoid? Thank you in advance
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM

the only thing from that list i would get from Ebay is the Knock sensor. the rest I would check local parts stores or maybe Rockauto.com or Courtesynissanparts.com etc.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM

free upgraded mobile apps

Originally Posted by Phromethius
the only thing from that list i would get from Ebay is the Knock sensor. the rest I would check local parts stores or maybe Rockauto.com or Courtesynissanparts.com etc.

Ok thank you!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by PersianCzar
UPDATE:

So an update to my code 0505. Cleaned IACV (took plunger out as well), throttle body, & EGR Guide Tube. Replaced knock sensor, pcv valve w/ rubber grommet, and all associated gaskets. Replaced couple of old hoses as well. I cleared the codes...

After the repairs, same problem as before. Every 2nd start, about less than 2 minutes in, my check engine light turns on with the P0505 (IACV) and knock sensor.

So is it safe to say I need to buy an IACV valve? I seen a few on autopartswarehouse, rockauto, etc for around 150-180. I know OEM is ideal but has anyone tried aftermarket?
Just curious. What are you using to check the codes? OBD-II Scanner, or just using the CEL?