4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my exhaust and vid what do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 AM

my exhaust and vid what do ya think?

ill remake it now this was made the day after it was all put on and the camera i was using sucks so forgive me lol

Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Doe's have muffler? Who's Doe? Your friend, relative ?
Might wanna contact Doe and get that muffler back cause that fart can is horrible.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 AM

YouTube comments suck.

Get a 3" exhaust and thank me.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM

congradulations, your maxima sounds exactly like the kid down the street from me with a riced out honda. and i did'nt think it was possible to make a max sound that bad.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM

no resonator, nothing after the Y...that's the reason your car's sound is getting the comments it is getting. Can we see some daylight pics of the fart can?

It does sorta sound like a Civic, crossbred with a Craftsman lawnmower.

What sorta sound were you going for?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
no resonator, nothing after the Y...that's the reason your car's sound is getting the comments it is getting. Can we see some daylight pics of the fart can?

What sorta sound were you going for?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM

ya just as bad as honda owners always dissing on someones ride...shame shame ill do a different video with a better camera this was recorded the day this was all welded up sounds better now i think deeper tone and how the hell can u compare a honda to a nissan there is 1000 times different in sound between the two especially a 4 banger to 6cyl
Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM

Well, you asked what everyone thought, and they told you. You can't be upset with what they said, cause you opened it up to criticism. It's not my cup of tea, but I've definitely heard worse. I don't think it sounds like a riced Civic. But it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks as long as you like it.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM

yea i know i left the front door opened for that one lol didnt think some people would tho i mean ive never got on here said "Dude your an idiot for doing that" or something i mean its not the best sounding or the worse but def sounds better then what it did plus the muffler shops around here wanted to charge me 400 bucks just for the piping for 3" and i didnt have the change for it and the magnaflow i did have lost it or someone stole it outta my back seat that i had bought to put on and the muffler shop had the one thats on it now just a 4" round glass packed inside carbon fiber looking deal for 50 bucks so i said screw it lol ill do a better one later on her
Old 05-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Quote of the day.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by maxima2fst4u
yea i know i left the front door opened for that one lol didnt think some people would tho i mean ive never got on here said "Dude your an idiot for doing that" or something i mean its not the best sounding or the worse but def sounds better then what it did plus the muffler shops around here wanted to charge me 400 bucks just for the piping for 3" and i didnt have the change for it and the magnaflow i did have lost it or someone stole it outta my back seat that i had bought to put on and the muffler shop had the one thats on it now just a 4" round glass packed inside carbon fiber looking deal for 50 bucks so i said screw it lol ill do a better one later on her
can't go wrong with a cattman or a megan
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Not my cup of tea.

OT, but why are you runnin' bigger 330cc injectors when you're NA with a few basic bolt-ons?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Not my cup of tea.

OT, but why are you runnin' bigger 330cc injectors when you're NA with a few basic bolt-ons?
^^^This^^^
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 PM

Not my style, but if you like it that's all that matters...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM

i had dual tip square style magna flow but had to choose the stupid round one...it was either pay almost 80 bucks each for them or pay 200 for a set that was gently used on a 300zxtt i can say after i replaced them i noticed a big difference in power like atleast 25-30% increase but there starting to poop on me now that i notice a power gain loss some i can feel it but i know my precats at the stock y are starting to get stopped up on me when i go back to work when money starts flowing in some ill buy a y pipe or just do what i did on my buddys take a plasma cutter cut a square in the cats then knock out the plat in the cats then weld the square piece back on and go less time spending on taking out the y and saves me some mula
Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 AM

^ You're telling me I can gain 40-50whp by making my car run boggingly rich?.. (hastily typed while running full sprint to the salvage yard...)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 AM

i had dual tip square style magna flow but had to choose the stupid round one...it was either pay almost 80 bucks each for them or pay 200 for a set that was gently used on a 300zxtt i can say after i replaced them i noticed a big difference in power like atleast 25-30% increase but there starting to poop on me now that i notice a power gain loss some i can feel it but i know my precats at the stock y are starting to get stopped up on me when i go back to work when money starts flowing in some ill buy a y pipe or just do what i did on my buddys take a plasma cutter cut a square in the cats then knock out the plat in the cats then weld the square piece back on and go less time spending on taking out the y and saves me some mula
Wtf dude use some periods nd commas! Those injectors give you nothing

on the other hand it sounds fine to me. A little raspy but that's cause of no muffler or resonator. And thanl goodness for still havin the stock equal y it still sounds proper. Its not even that bad of a rasp and y'all are sayin it sounds like a straight pipe honda? Smh have u even heard what a 4th gen sounds with an unequal y pipe with no res or muffler? Worse than a civic.

youtube "gomes performance maxima" and you will hear the most disgusting sound come out from that vq30

Last edited by carsnwomen91; 05-30-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Administrator

I had to take 2 Excedrin after reading that...

So you're telling me you felt a big difference in power...at least 25-30%, eh? LMAO If your stock injectors were so bad, I think maybe what you felt was simply getting back the power you originally should of had. But, now you're running rich with those bigger injectors which hurts power and gas mileage..so... FWIW, bigger injectors don't make power, bigger injectors are simply support for power adders. Lastly, the injectors from a 300zx are 370's, not 330's...
Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM

lord no u wont gain no 40-50whp with bigger injectors i wish lol i know the 300z runs 370 in them but the guy that had the injectors said that a buddie gave them to him and he was going back to the orginal 370 injectors and since they where venom and mine where already going bad figured why not cheaper then what i would have payed out for them from autozone or advance but i still get good mpg im looking around 19 in town and id say atleast 23-24 hwy..i can put 10 dollars in and get right at almost 50 miles outta it give or take cause its 3.79 where im at and thats just little over 2 gallons...im having issues right now after it warms up i dont have the get up like it does when its cold so i think im going to a tb clean egr tube and few odd and ends but my tb is shiny clean so idk if thats what causing her to be sluggish some...buddie has a stock 96 and he beats me off the line but in long run he is chasing me
Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 PM

i know ive been having trouble reading these days, but i seriously cant even finish the 3rd line of what your writiing. you REALLY need to go back, and edit what you are writing so people can read it.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:08 AM

lord no u wont gain no 40-50whp with bigger injectors i wish lol i know the 300z runs 370 in them but the guy that had the injectors said that a buddie gave them to him and he was going back to the orginal 370 injectors and since they where venom and mine where already going bad figured why not cheaper then what i would have payed out for them from autozone or advance but i still get good mpg im looking around 19 in town and id say atleast 23-24 hwy..i can put 10 dollars in and get right at almost 50 miles outta it give or take cause its 3.79 where im at and thats just little over 2 gallons...im having issues right now after it warms up i dont have the get up like it does when its cold so i think im going to a tb clean egr tube and few odd and ends but my tb is shiny clean so idk if thats what causing her to be sluggish some...buddie has a stock 96 and he beats me off the line but in long run he is chasing me
It runs like **** when it warms up because a rich a/f mixture gets worse as the engine heats up making it slow and boggy... Courtesy of injectors that are 100cc/min more than stock on a stock engine setup
Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 AM

lord no u wont gain no 40-50whp with bigger injectors i wish lol
Now you tell me... Are you sure, though? I distinctly remember someone saying that....

i can say after i replaced them i noticed a big difference in power like atleast 25-30% increase
A 25-30% increase in power to an average vq30 maxima would be 40-50whp...
Maybe my math skills are a little rusty.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Administrator

^LOL

The money you thought you saved on injectors is now spent on gas since you're running so rich, plus your car is running poorly.

LOL at putting $10 in your gas tank, getting 50miles, and claiming that's proof enough that your gas mileage is ok....Fill up, drive till your empty, then report your gas mileage...
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
^LOL

The money you thought you saved on injectors is now spent on gas since you're running so rich, plus your car is running poorly.

LOL at putting $10 in your gas tank, getting 50miles, and claiming that's proof enough that your gas mileage is ok....Fill up, drive till your empty, then report your gas mileage...

also, stop killing another 4th gen! too many lost because of poor abuse and BS done to them. making your car run poorly because you want to "save money" is just pathetic.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 99maxwell

also, stop killing another 4th gen! too many lost because of poor abuse and BS done to them. making your car run poorly because you want to "save money" is just pathetic.

Not to mention now it's not even running correctly.

Stock injectors unless you've got the more air intake (00vi, boost etc). All this info is on the forum. I wanted to go bigger injectors but was saved by a fellow .org member because I didn't have the a/f ratio without the 00vi or boost. Running rich is just a silly thing to keep doing. Put your stock injectors back in.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:27 AM

Exhaust sounds fine to me, and its better than a Civic thats for sure.

I will be the odd one out and say, thank you for taking the time to make a video for everyone. I like your interior lighting too! Have not seen anyone so purple before, haha
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM

Yeah, definitely not a fan of the sound. The VQ engines are so loud that you really have to be careful what you do to it. Every little thing counts. Like for example, I purposely left the helmholtz resonator on when I did my intake because I tried both ways and I tested it a bunch to finally get it to a nice real deep sound that has a nice V8'ish growl at times. Still have the stock VI muffler on it and pretty sure don't need an upgrade until I do headers.

I have short ram with K&N, Cattman Y-Pipe and high flow CAT. And I made two videos of what the car sounds like.

Exhaust sound (video made before I put on my intake, so it was just the Y-pipe and high flow CAT in this video):

Intake sound:

Now my car has a very similar sound to a stock 2006 Infiniti M45. I know this because a friend has that car. And as far as intake goes, I have to say the K&N is definitely the way to go and it provides some awesome sounds. I'm constantly listening to the air swoosh, almost makes it sound like a blow off valve but this is only true with the K&N other filters I tried did not have the same effect.

As far as your car goes, I would definitely work on the sound and test different setups until you get it right, just make sure the thing doesn't sound like a fart cannon. Oh yeah, and please fix your injectors because that's just absurd.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Lol v6 sounds nothing like a v8.

Fart cannons don't make a maxima 'farty' either. A muffler is a muffler it doesn't determine the sound of a car. it's unequal y and test pipe. Chrisman287 has videos of the eBay cat back (with a big can) and its not farty at all.

I Cant put the video up on mobile but youtube 'gomes performance maxima'
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Exhaust sounds fine to me, and its better than a Civic thats for sure.

I will be the odd one out and say, thank you for taking the time to make a video for everyone. I like your interior lighting too! Have not seen anyone so purple before, haha
lol purple is out now my wife drives it alot more then me, I just drive it on the weekends when i go fishing cause my truck is hard on gas it gets about 10-12 mpg 383 stroker for ya, The exhaust to me sounds like a older z to be honest and i wish i had something different to record with cause the mic is not the greatest but o well...she's been wanting to the vq35 swap but i never have time for it i have one sitting in the garage with 103k on it paid 500 for it but well see might happen sometime or another
Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ehhh, to put it nicely, that really dosent sound good. If u want a cheap good sounding exhaust, buy an n1 knockoff muffler or a flowmaster.

This is one of the best sounding 4th gens ive ever heard
Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 PM

His grammar....
And he's running larger injectors

Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 AM

Chris85487 ya sound good!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:17 AM

to me this is clean and sounds right http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7uOrJU4BI#t=70