4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

alternator suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM

alternator suggestions

finally got around to throwing plates back on this car thats been sitting for 5 years.. was driving fine last week, then took it for a quick ride last nite and the car had a "weak" spot in the early rpm range, and actually stalled on me at light despite having a brand new battery. radio keeps shutting on and off now (wasnt doing that before) and amps have not turned on since i installed the new battery and got the car running. ( all service has already been done btw ) tested alternator - not looking to good. under load with heat or a/c on high and all the lights and buttons pressed, lowest voltage i saw was down to 12.15 - so tomorrow ill be buying one at one of the dozen auto part stores here and just wanted to ask if there was any known brand to steer away from.. i have every chain store nearby, so there are options.. car is gonna be sold when i get everything up to par. suggestions ?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM

I bought a TYC when mine went out, seeing they were fairly reputable. It whines like crazy. It kind of sounds like a supercharger whine, which sounds cool, but knowing it isn't one, it's just annoying. So I wouldn't get a TYC.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had great results with brand new alternators from aftermarket stores (like napa, advance, etc).

I've had very bad results with rebuilt alternators, tried different suppliers and it is still a hit or miss. I've had 50% of them fail on me within 4 weeks and needed to be exchanged. Granted that the parts store offer good warranties and usually exchange them without a problem but considering the difficulty of replacing the alternators on the maximas, I prefer to do this job once.

You can always pick up a used one, just make sure to get it bench tested before you put it into the car.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM

just looking around online, pepboys is having a Father's Day sale and giving 20% off with online purchase and can still do in-store pick up.. they have a rebuilt 125 amp that comes out to be about $90 after taxes and core return.. (with discount)middle priced belt is about $15-$17.. so far im leaning towards this unless someone says something otherwise..

on another note - i think my passanger side cv boot ripped, so i was looking at prices just for the boot kit vs entire axle.. boot is $25 vs entire axle $50 after core return.. im almost in shock they are so cheap. i remeber paying like $120 for them.. i changed my enitre front end about 2-3 years before i took this car off the road - so really everything should be in decent shape. kinda pissed about the boot but its been sitting for years so i guess i cant complain.

im a horrible salesman cause i keep throwing more and more money into this thing just to sell it. i wish i didnt care, but i wanna find a kid that will take care of this car instead of just some idiot thats gonna drive it until it dies without ever fixing things..

Last edited by kctyphoon101; 06-12-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I changed my alternator last weekend. What a pita....
I was able to do it without removing the radiator fans fwiw...

Just set the AC compressor on a jack stand and brought the alternator straight out over top of the lower hose.

Take care,
Dave

PS... I used a new unit from the local auto parts store.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM

I got a new Bosch 125a from Amazon for about $120 a while ago.