4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ordered headers. What else should I do to complete my exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ordered headers. What else should I do to complete my exhaust?

I just ordered some obx racing headers for a 99 maxima. What else should I get to complete my exhaust?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM

most on here have done Headers, then Y-pipe, then exhaust. Two more major parts and you got the whole thing modded. AS far as brand names? There is major debate over which Y is better but most are decent fits and ALL are noticeable gains in power. Alot of Orgers these days run Ebay pipes and exhaust. Cattman and Warpspeed are also popular.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 AM

if he bought OBX headers they include the Y.

OP - asssuming your'e bone stock, you don't NEED any exhaust mods past what you've got. Cat-back is cool if you want but not necessary...if you want a different sound you can go with a different muffler with a nice shiny tip

I'd honestly go piece by piece. Get your headers on and give it two weeks to see if you like the sound, then go from there. You WILL be a bit louder now
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM

I did this last Friday. It's awesome but a lot of work. I got the V2 OBX equal length ones.
You will need to buy OEM gaskets for the headers and the gaskets that connect the front header and the Y pipe to the cat.
If you can save the bolts from he headers you can use those if not you will need to get those as well.
The only problem with the V2 is it touches on the cross-member, you will need to hammer it a bit or cut the part that is touching.
If you get the V1 then you are ok with fitment.
If you do a search you will find some guys that made write-ups on how to install and gotchas.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM

I was recommended a high flow cat with the headers/ypipe, my plan wasn't to run anything but with new headers you throw a code, cel I think? But other than that, I have obx headers/y pipe, haven't installed yet but never heard anything bad about them. Good luck .
Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Headers, Y pipe, or any combination will not cause a CEL on a 95-98 & fed 99. If you remove the main cat, then yes you will get a CEL. On a Cali 99 you will need to do some trickery to fool the ECU if you remove the front pre cat.

Unless your stock cat is damaged, clogged or rotted, leave it in. If you do need a new cat, get a new one from Magnaflow or Carsound . Please, don't buy a test pipe.

Last edited by JSutter; 06-13-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JSutter
Headers, Y pipe, or any combination will not cause a CEL on a 95-98 & fed 99.
For dyno purposes, I removed the cat and installed a test pipe on my CA 99. I did not get a CEL.

On a Cali 99 you will need to do some trickery to fool the ECU if you remove the front pre cat.

Can you elaborate? I've obviously removed the front precat with my headers and haven't done any "trickery". I did use an O2 sim on both of my downstream O2's though. Is this what you mean?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by catalinvint
I did this last Friday. It's awesome but a lot of work. I got the V2 OBX equal length ones.
You will need to buy OEM gaskets for the headers and the gaskets that connect the front header and the Y pipe to the cat.
If you can save the bolts from he headers you can use those if not you will need to get those as well.
The only problem with the V2 is it touches on the cross-member, you will need to hammer it a bit or cut the part that is touching.
If you get the V1 then you are ok with fitment.
If you do a search you will find some guys that made write-ups on how to install and gotchas.
I'd love to see proof of this, especially if you are talking about the 95-99 OBX headers.

Headers, Y pipe, or any combination will not cause a CEL on a 95-98 & fed 99. If you remove the main cat, then yes you will get a CEL. On a Cali 99 you will need to do some trickery to fool the ECU if you remove the front pre cat.

Unless your stock cat is damaged, clogged or rotted, leave it in. If you do need a new cat, get a new one from Magnaflow or Carsound . Please, don't buy a test pipe.
No code on my 97 fed with a test pipe.
Originally Posted by The Wizard
For dyno purposes, I removed the cat and installed a test pipe on my CA 99. I did not get a CEL.

Can you elaborate? I've obviously removed the front precat with my headers and haven't done any "trickery". I did use an O2 sim on both of my downstream O2's though. Is this what you mean?
I believe the trickery he is referring to is the o2 sims/antifoulers.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

99 cali has no rear O2, so installing a test pipe won't bother the ecu. Still I am against them as gains are usually slim to none and boy does the exhaust smell. My SE-R has no cats and it just reeks. Then again its just a race car. I guess what I'm getting at is on a daily driver a test pipe has more cons than pros.

Yes, by trickery I do mean O2 sims. That or you can move the downstream O2 behind a functioning main cat.

I'm surprised you didn't get a CEL on a 97. How long have you been running that way?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Around January or February of 2010.