4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima 1995 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima 1995 issues

Hi there.
I have recently bought Maxima with LPG which has 220 000km. Car is running ok on petrol, but as it has several minor/major issues. I am posting them here so if someone here can help me with few of them so i don't trow my money with mechanics.
I have changed oil, oil filter and spark plugs (NGK platinum) and that 's it so far...

1. Since I 've changed spark plugs, it became more noticeable stuttering when in neutral and stalling when accelerating faster or on uphills. Sometimes it's like it's "skiping" a little bit and I could say that it may be backfiring in exhaust (i am not sure as it's not that loud, but you can feel it under the feet). It is becoming more often as car is getting warmer (when it's cold, don't have those symptoms). On gas it wann't accept throttle at all, dies immediately but that's the other part of problem that I have which I think will be solvable after I solve running on petrol.
I don't get engine check light on, nothing, consumption is average for that car and mileage, doesn't accelerate as new one, but I cann't compare that . I don't want to change coils first, then crank sensors, then ECU & EGR or whatever, and eliminate things on that way. If someone has a good hint or clue, please advise.

2. Water leakage - but can't find where from it's coming. It looses a 0.5 l in 24h, and interesting thing is that i have a puddle just under the carter (oil pan) (actually when I putted my car on hoist, looked like it's seeping from carter gasket, (I will putt a photo latter this evening). It don't seep when engine is hot or warm, just when it cools down completely (after 2-3 hours on parking).

3. How to enter a security code in radio? I've got a 6 digit code from nissan dealer, and I am not sure that that is the right amount of digits. radio doesn't write code on screen, just small number 1 and when I start to press on presets stations I get bigger number under that small, and can change it to six but i don't know how to confirm it (pic of system later). It's not Bose audio system, it's Nissan radio/casette player and CD player beneath...

Thank you guys, I apologize for my english, I am from Croatia originally so I am not a native English speaker, but I hope that you understand me.

Cheers

EDIT - Just came from work and like it's getting worse everytime I sit in that car. Works rough in N&P, but almost turns off in D when stopped (shakes a lot&revs droping to around 500-550 (normal is 750-700). Accelerates normally, ocasionally stutters, seems more often in last 24h after replacing sparks.

Last edited by Grbo; 07-08-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM

1) Sounds like the MAF sensor.

2) Im not really sure what you're talking about. Im not familiar with the word carter in car terms.

3) I'm not sure about this one. I didn't know our cars had a radio security key. I never had to do it, and I've delt with both the standard and Bose system.

And your English is fine. don't worry about it. I've seen much worse by people who have lived here all of their lives.

Welcome to the org!

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Aflion
1) Sounds like the MAF sensor.

2) Im not really sure what you're talking about. Im not familiar with the word carter in car terms.

3) I'm not sure about this one. I didn't know our cars had a radio security key. I never had to do it, and I've delt with both the standard and Bose system.

And your English is fine. don't worry about it. I've seen much worse by people who have lived here all of their lives.

Welcome to the org!

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Carter means oil pan.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by tosheto
Carter means oil pan.
That a Canadian term?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 AM

If it turns out not to be the MAF check your coil packs and injectors, a problem with one or both of those could cause the stuttering.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BlackThornDemon
That a Canadian term?
No
Old 07-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Australian then?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've manage to adjust a gas a little bit so it can work OK in N&P, and still it continues to give same symptoms, even more expressed. That might exlude fuel injector I think.
After googling it a bit, and because of that leakage problem that I have, what's the possibility that leakage on a water pump (let's assume on both o-rings) causes little watter in the engine oil an that gives those symptoms?

Cheers,

Vedran
Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi.
Just to update topic, maybe will help someone what i have come across so far:
1. Code for radio system - for this model it is 6 digits and even guy in Nissan service centre explained me wrong how to enter code and unlock radio. Enter digits like you are dialing that number on you mobile, can't be simplier than that.: ) litlle number is just showning how many tries you've left.
2. As i was starting to experince new problems (revs in N&P unusually high, between 1200&1500rpms, car started overheating as soon as it worms up...), i looked what is cousing that. It turned to be big air pocket in cooling system. I thought it was thermostat first, but that wouldn't explain high revs as well. I thought it was temp sensor, but it was indicating high temp very well... And after googling i found one topic that it is tricky to bleed cooling system on maxima and you need few tricks tol do it properly. Obviously that leaking was making air pockets in cooling system, after i bleed it good, everything is back to "normal". Even leaking almost stopped (after i have already order a new pump ), it has just few drops, in couple of days thdat car is parked on same spot (wierd).
New ignition coils ordered, so i will see if that will elimenate stuttering.
Cheers guys. Keep you posted.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi there,

quick update, new coils solved stuttering and shaking on idle. Yeee!
Still no leaks with just new radiator installed, probably water pump will be returned to the shop.
Cheers.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Grbo
Hi there,

quick update, new coils solved stuttering and shaking on idle. Yeee!
Still no leaks with just new radiator installed, probably water pump will be returned to the shop.
Cheers.
Make sure you filled back up your radiator and bled the system of air before returning that water pump to make sure the leak stopped for good. Once bled, make sure the overfill reservoir has some coolant between min and max lines and recheck after making a few trips.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Make sure you filled back up your radiator and bled the system of air before returning that water pump to make sure the leak stopped for good. Once bled, make sure the overfill reservoir has some coolant between min and max lines and recheck after making a few trips.
Thanks for advice, but done already all that. I've burned (or better to leaked) myself because it wasn't bleed properly so this time i repeated bleeding process several time to be sure