4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brake Pads

What are some pretty good brake pads? I don't feel like spending $80 for the oem, but if that my last resort then i'll get them. I can get Raybesto pads with a 20% dicount. Are Raybestos pretty good?How long will they last? is there any noise when installed correctly? Should i invest in some anti squeal shims??? How do the Raybestos compare to oem????

Thanks
Sorry so long....
Chris
Old 01-15-2002, 11:25 AM

How about KVR Pads???
Old 01-15-2002, 12:00 PM
SLOW

Get Porterfields (R4S) or Hawks (HPS) if you don't mind dust and want your car to stop on a dime. There are more agressive pads from each of those but they get less streetable as you go higher up the brake pad ladder.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:15 PM

raybestos quiet stop

i have the raybestos ceramic quiet stop pads. they dust less than oem and cost less too. no squeel also.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:24 PM

hrmm raybesto's.......thats a name i should memorize
Old 01-15-2002, 05:27 PM

I installed raybesto quiet stop last friday, they're awsome after breakin, havne't really test it yet becuase my tires are completely gone & when I slam on the brakes abs just turns on...

sorry about thsi spam but can someone help me now!!!! please! I'm buying tires in like 2 hrs

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=91445 read the last message there.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: Brake Pads

Raybestos QuietStop (ceramix) pads are to me by far the best pads I have ever owned. I had a shop put in some pads and shortly a few months later they squealed like crazy and left tons of brake dust on my rotors. Replaced them with the QuietStop and I am in heaven. No squeals, very little (I mean very little) brake dust and excellent stopping power. They ran me $54.00/set but they are worth every dime.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:52 PM

Anyone try PBR?
Old 01-16-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: Re: Brake Pads

Originally posted by maxnewbie
Raybestos QuietStop (ceramix) pads are to me by far the best pads I have ever owned. I had a shop put in some pads and shortly a few months later they squealed like crazy and left tons of brake dust on my rotors. Replaced them with the QuietStop and I am in heaven. No squeals, very little (I mean very little) brake dust and excellent stopping power. They ran me $54.00/set but they are worth every dime.
Where can you get these pads???
Old 01-17-2002, 05:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Brake Pads

Originally posted by benny

I was only able to find them at Pep Boys.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Brake Pads

Originally posted by benny

CarQuest auto parts sells Raybestos under their name. I used NAPA Ceramix with the same results as the QuietStop.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:01 AM

If you can get the discount, I say get the Quiet Stops from Raybestos...I installed those on my back brakes and am impressed at the preformance and overall cleanliness of the pads. Definetly a wise choice on my part at the time...worth the money.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
If you can get the discount, I say get the Quiet Stops from Raybestos...I installed those on my back brakes and am impressed at the preformance and overall cleanliness of the pads. Definetly a wise choice on my part at the time...worth the money.
What type of foglights do you have installed on your Max? i.e. Brand, cost, etc. I have been thinking about setting mine up to look like yours but I wanted to see on a Max before doing so. They look nice on your Max!
Old 05-08-2002, 08:32 PM

your raybestos

I was just wondering --did everyone who used the raybesto pads also install these pads themselves or did you guys go through pepboys? It seems that is the pads that they install for a lot of cars. They are also running a special this week at Pepboys on the Raybesto Quiet Stop pads. I am not sure if the new pads that they install includes turning of the rotors as a part of the package.
I was also wondering, since you guys who have had these pads now for a few months--no complaints? I am looking for new pads that will cut out the squealing (comes with shims right?) and will offer the performance that is just as good as the factory pads.

thanks for your thoughts on this again.

Originally posted by maxnewbie
Old 05-09-2002, 05:33 AM

Re: your raybestos

Originally posted by humaras
I was just wondering --did everyone who used the raybesto pads also install these pads themselves or did you guys go through pepboys? It seems that is the pads that they install for a lot of cars. They are also running a special this week at Pepboys on the Raybesto Quiet Stop pads. I am not sure if the new pads that they install includes turning of the rotors as a part of the package.
I was also wondering, since you guys who have had these pads now for a few months--no complaints? I am looking for new pads that will cut out the squealing (comes with shims right?) and will offer the performance that is just as good as the factory pads.

I have had my pads on for quite awhile and they are great! Very quiet, little dusting and good stopping power. I had worn out my rotors recently (they were OEM) but the pads were still like new. They are even better now that I have brand new rotors. I highly recommend them.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:04 PM

Re: your raybestos

Raybestos Quiet Stop pad are working well for me.

Originally posted by humaras

Old 05-09-2002, 01:28 PM

Make sure you get the quiet stops if you go raybestos. I just installed the 19.99 raybestos pads. They are decent FF grade and bonded not riveted. How ever they squeal like almost as bed as my nissan ome pads did. The squeeling under light braking is gone but under moderate braking the queal is there at about 60% of the orriginal volume. I paid 7 for the shims and 99cents for the anti squal compound. I also had my rotors resurfaced. They are very easy to do your self. If you just do the pads there is only one bolt to undo, its the bottom one of the calliper then the pads just pop out. If you call around you can get rotors resurfaced fo between 5-10 each. The rotors just fall off if you undo the bracket that holds the calliper on. ( 2 bolts) Word of caution i found, If your original pads are very worn you will need a c clamp to compress the piston to get the calliper over the new thicker pads. And in the back either a special too or needle nose pliers to turn the ****ton.