4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake and Battery dash lights on???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 AM

Brake and Battery dash lights on???

Just had a strange thing happen on the way into work this morning. Both the Brake and Battery dash lights are on!! Car seems to run ok. When I got to work, I turned off the car, tried starting it and it had trouble starting. I've searched this forum, but not getting the correct hits. Would appreciate any ideas, thanks.

Joe
Old 08-01-2013, 05:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your alternator is done.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:44 AM

Also, if you're still at work, i hope you have a way to charge or replace your battery. It sounds like its in the stage where it only has about 5 minutes of battery power running the car. If that. Could be wrong, but its better to be safe than sorry. Being stuck on the side of the road doesn't sound like fun to me. When mine went out i was stuck in a parking lot.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Aflion
Also, if you're still at work, i hope you have a way to charge or replace your battery. It sounds like its in the stage where it only has about 5 minutes of battery power running the car. If that. Could be wrong, but its better to be safe than sorry. Being stuck on the side of the road doesn't sound like fun to me. When mine went out i was stuck in a parking lot.

If my alternator really did go, how come my dash lights didn't dim or radio go out? I also had the A/C on and didn't notice a difference. When I first noticed the Brake and Battery dash lights on, I was more than 5 minutes away from work.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM

On a full battery, you have an hour or so on driving. Just depends on what all you have running. When mine went out, it was pouring down rain, so i had my lights on, wipers going, and sounds system in my car was blasting for the first few minutes. It ran for about 30 minutes. i parked it and started it back up a few times too. But when it became hard to start, it had 5-10 minutes. Once you lose power and sounds like the engine is missing, you have about 10 useless seconds before the car wont start back up.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by jobell
If my alternator really did go, how come my dash lights didn't dim or radio go out? I also had the A/C on and didn't notice a difference. When I first noticed the Brake and Battery dash lights on, I was more than 5 minutes away from work.
Brake and Battery lights on = Alternator going out

Had you searched, you wouldve found countless threads on this subject
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Brake and Battery lights on = Alternator going out

Had you searched, you wouldve found countless threads on this subject
Yes, I did search. Searched on brake and battery dash lights. Didn't get the right hits.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aflion
On a full battery, you have an hour or so on driving. Just depends on what all you have running. When mine went out, it was pouring down rain, so i had my lights on, wipers going, and sounds system in my car was blasting for the first few minutes. It ran for about 30 minutes. i parked it and started it back up a few times too. But when it became hard to start, it had 5-10 minutes. Once you lose power and sounds like the engine is missing, you have about 10 useless seconds before the car wont start back up.

Ahhhh crap........ Thanks for the heads up. It would have to be raining today.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Yes, I did search. Searched on brake and battery dash lights. Didn't get the right hits.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 AM

Could also just be your serpentine belt blew off. Mine did once after I flew through a massive puddle. That would cause your alternator to no longer spin and charge the battery. $40 belt and about 45 mins of my time. I ended up needing to replace the crank pulley since it was separating. $90 ebay pulley. If your belt did fly off I'd take a peek at that pulley make sure it's not wobbling at all
Old 08-01-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bryso21
Could also just be your serpentine belt blew off. Mine did once after I flew through a massive puddle. That would cause your alternator to no longer spin and charge the battery. $40 belt and about 45 mins of my time. I ended up needing to replace the crank pulley since it was separating. $90 ebay pulley. If your belt did fly off I'd take a peek at that pulley make sure it's not wobbling at all
He said he was still running his A/C, so it's not the belt. A/C compressor is spun off the serpentine belt as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Trust us when we say your alternator is done...
Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM

It's always the alternator when you see the brake and the battery lights. It's the truth. My family's max just crapped on me and it had the same lights on the dashboards before the car stalled out. I bought a new battery and alternator. The battery was bought because the alternator destroyed it with it's negitive charge.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM

Mine was doing similar things and it was the alternator, just finished installing a new one last night.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Alternator. It has been discussed on here many times.