4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake pad fell off

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Brake pad fell off

This is entire story. Before 7 days I heard whistling noise from front left wheel when driving. I thought may be bearing as I replaced brake pads before 6 months. It lasted only one day and I forget about it. Tonight all suddenly I heard strong noise when braking and even when driving. It last for 2 minutes. I keep driving to a bar that was down highway 5 miles away. When stop in front of bar I smell front left wheel and it was hot. I claim bearing is bad ( brake pads only 6 months old and brake pads go slowly with stronger and stronger noise). Al suddenly at one stop light before highway I heard that something fell of the car and my brake pedal fell through. Pedal return soon to be strong again. I stop at parking and go beck on foots to find what fell of. It was brake pad from driver side.
So if you have slight noise from front wheel worth check what is going on in Nissans. Brake pad falling off can be danger. Accurse mice pad was very worn out, but evidentially Nissan pads do not make to much noise.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by bbsitum
This is entire story. Before 7 days I heard whistling noise from front left wheel when driving. I thought may be bearing as I replaced brake pads before 6 months. It lasted only one day and I forget about it. Tonight all suddenly I heard strong noise when braking and even when driving. It last for 2 minutes. I keep driving to a bar that was down highway 5 miles away. When stop in front of bar I smell front left wheel and it was hot. I claim bearing is bad ( brake pads only 6 months old and brake pads go slowly with stronger and stronger noise). Al suddenly at one stop light before highway I heard that something fell of the car and my brake pedal fell through. Pedal return soon to be strong again. I stop at parking and go beck on foots to find what fell of. It was brake pad from driver side.
So if you have slight noise from front wheel worth check what is going on in Nissans. Brake pad falling off can be danger. Accurse mice pad was very worn out, but evidentially Nissan pads do not make to much noise.
What other parts were missing?
Brake pads don't just fall off.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 PM

How did the brake pad fall off?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's next to impossible for a pad to fall out unless something else is broken.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM

The whole pad, or just the lining?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 AM

I have seen it were one caliper freezes up and the other side burns through the pads very fast and they wear down till one of them falls out. But that thing should have been grinding like mad long before that point. Either way my guess is your car will need CPR calipers, pads, rotors,
Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 AM

This is not a Nissan problem OP but rather the person who installed these pads. Did you put these pads on without a hardware kit??
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 AM

We need pics of this
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Call me crazy, but if your brakes make a horrible noise for a while, and you wait until the pad falls out to do something about it, don't blame the car dude. Brakes make noise for a reason. If the pad wears far enough to fit between the gap of caliper mount and rotor (entirely possible given lack of attention), its an owner problem not a car problem. Inspect your brakes every 10,000 miles and any time they make noise. When they fall below 3mm of lining thickness, replace them. I'll even write you step by step instructions for a proper brake job as performed by a technician with NO brake comebacks.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo_Pilot
If the pad wears far enough to fit between the gap of caliper mount and rotor (entirely possible given lack of attention), its an owner problem not a car problem.
That exactly happened. To my surprise when I toke wheel of I saw that rotor is good. I did travel carefully home when pad fell off. Caliper is frozen. When I tried push cylinder back wasn't capable. I know something about changing brakes as I did that many times. That pad was worn out to minimum but EVENLY. Barely was any contact between pad steel back and rotor. Pad together with steel support was like 1/4 **** and pad simply fall off thought space between caliper mount and rotor. I check there is like 1/4 space. So it can happen. I have photo of rotor but pad I throw past night.

Last edited by bbsitum; 08-10-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Final notice. Left caliper definitely was frozen. At point A it frost and I drove for five miles and external pad was so much worn out that it felt through that above noticed gap. When I tried to push piston of left caliper I wasn't capable. Right one go easy with 4" C clamp. New caliper is in, everything is fine. I both pads with wear indicator this time, so noise will warn me next time.

Last edited by bbsitum; 08-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 PM

Wow thats crazy, that pad must have been worn down pretty good to do something like that.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Final notice. Left caliper definitely was frozen. At point A it frost and I drove for five miles and external pad was so much worn out that it felt through that above noticed gap. When I tried to push piston of left caliper I wasn't capable. Right one go easy with 4" C clamp. New caliper is in, everything is fine. I both pads with wear indicator this time, so noise will warn me next time.
You should learn about articles in the English language. You know, like a/an/the. It would make your writing much easier to read and understand.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator

You should learn about articles in the English language. You know, like a/an/the. It would make your writing much easier to read and understand.
At least he used the correct spelling of brake!

Last edited by bprice92; 08-12-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM

I found this kinda funny... You definitely should not use mice pad as brake pads.

At any rate, at least the car and driver is okay.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM

guys, English obviously is not OP's first language..cut some slack.

Besides, I've seen worse posts here on the .org from people who only speak English

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 08-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I've seen this before but it was owner error. They removed the wear indicators which were squeeling to let you know it's time for pads. He was a cheap bastid. Weeks later the pad fell out. Somehow he had the money to fix it then. Lol.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
I found this kinda funny... You definitely should not use mice pad as brake pads.

At any rate, at least the car and driver is okay.
When he said mice pad he meant "my pad" i understood him perfectly actually ive seen worse. His sentence "Accurse mice pad was very worn out" means "OF COARSE MY pad was very worn out"

Last edited by DjHackStyle; 08-12-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
When he said mice pad he meant "my pad" i understood him perfectly actually ive seen worse. His sentence "Accurse mice pad was very worn out" means "OF COARSE MY pad was very worn out"
... Lol. I should have mentioned that I knew what he was talking about, and also was writing sarcastically.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
I've seen this before but it was owner error. They removed the wear indicators which were squeeling to let you know it's time for pads. He was a cheap bastid. Weeks later the pad fell out. Somehow he had the money to fix it then. Lol.
This I can vouch and say I have seen a good year shop actually break off the wear indicators off the pads. They are doing this so that when you catch it too late, you have to replace rotors and its a bigger job and higher profit for them....this is why I do jobs like this myself.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom

This I can vouch and say I have seen a good year shop actually break off the wear indicators off the pads. They are doing this so that when you catch it too late, you have to replace rotors and its a bigger job and higher profit for them....this is why I do jobs like this myself.
Wow, just wow.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM
JvG

Regarding comments about spelling and grammer issues.....

We should keep in mind that some of the people that post here recently moved from a foreign country , or actually LIVE in a foreign country. English is not their native language.

Just imagine going to a French website to learn how to fix brakes in a French car. Or a German website devoted to BMW. You might be able to follow along and even post by using a language translation program. You would still not be able to post like a native French or German resident.

Personally, one time I was on a Porsche 924 website. The guy who was able to help me solve my problem lived in Bulgaria. His English was not the best, but I understood enough to fix my car.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Well 9/15 same ting happen again. External pad fell off from driver side. I replaced caliper again. What I noticed this time caliper piston was at light angle with brake disc. Brake pads was thin but not close to completely gone. Probably frozen piston again. Hope this new (again from you pull) caliper will work good. Will from now on replace pads much sooner then should be.
Side note. I think you need not helper to drain air when replace caliper. Air is already at bottom of air line, it is in caliper. All that you need is open bleed valve and wait till brake fluid start drop out. It is around 1 minute.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:48 PM

Have you checked that guide pins for the calipers? These pins get corroded and seize up and the brake pads do not position properly or release properly.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 PM

The brake hose can be bad too.

Calipers from a junkyard... A rebuilt one is only like $50.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:22 PM
ef9

Agreed. However, he should fill out the "Location" field in his profile, so we know where the heck he is coming from.

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
guys, English obviously is not OP's first language..cut some slack.

Besides, I've seen worse posts here on the .org from people who only speak English
Old 12-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

rude

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
that was very rude, this isn't just a website for people who speak/write perfect English. Perhaps, if you learned some manners, it would make your writing much more pleasurable to read.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:33 PM

You bumped this thread just to call somebody rude? Wow.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
You bumped this thread just to call somebody rude? Wow.
Bruh..they created an account just to call somebody rude.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tosheto
How did the brake pad fall off?
Well I finally figured out. It happen again, this time at passenger side. Outer pads fell out. First two times outer pad fell out at driver side. My rotors are worn out, to tiny. They do theirs job to brake but after thinning to some level brake pads manage to escape.
I know it is easy to replace but I have already another car from police auction at my parking space. If will keep I30 would replace rotors.

Last edited by bbsitum; 09-08-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
The whole pad, or just the lining?
The whole pad all 3 times. Above I wrong called at frozen brake calipers. What happen after pad fell out brake caliper piston extend to much and hence I wasn't capable to push it back. It was out of line with brake caliper hole. Yesterday even solid amount of brake fluid escaped as rubber get out of caliper piston groove. I managed to push it back all. In such situation you can not push back piston easy, must replace points of C clamp and use really serious force.

Last edited by bbsitum; 09-09-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 PM

If it's that hard to push in its frozen and you need to replace the caliper with a NEW one
Old 09-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
If it's that hard to push in its frozen and you need to replace the caliper with a NEW one
I will keep it in mind.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks like it's time for a complete replace of pad/caliper/rotor.

I wouldn't trust a piston that has popped out of the sleeve. Not under load.

Last edited by Zinc; 02-14-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM

dude, this threads from last year. pretty sure he fixed it by now.